Night Shifters

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
This is where I luck out as a full time dispatcher and part time patrol... I spend 75% of my time on the midnights playing video games waiting for the phone to ring.
I can’t stand the full time midnights either though, hoping someone retires soon so I can either go 3-11 or back to an 11-7/3-11 split.
I'm back to 3-11, it's okay. I was day shift but after 6pm is nintendo switch and netflix time. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Been on graves for a fair Majority of the last 30 years of aviation fun...
Every time someone says you must be used to it by now,I laugh.You never get used to it.
Eh,fewer big bosses,and in Phx the big flaming ball of light in the sky isn’t beating me to death.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Cold and wet all night. Heater trying to put me to sleep. So far highlight of the night was a drunk 21 year old who maybe weighed 160lbs wet trying to get himself a tune-up and thrown in jail for obstruction and public drunk Im sure we will be seeing him again at some point he had the drunk anger of a seasoned sixty year old alcoholic. One of three brothers, one of which was rocking a stache’ and mullet. Business in front and party in the back!

Kids these days. When I got drunk I was like a giant hippy who loved everyone.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
27 years of 12 hour shifts, 3 on 3 off. days then nights repeat. Been on 8 hr days for the last 4 years and it took some time to get used to 5 days a week.
No way Id want 8 hour days having worked 12’s. The off time is just to good. We use a Mon/Tue/Fri/Sat/Sun and Wed/Thur 2 week rotation.

Schedule vacation on you short week and you can stretch out those 7 days off duty many times over the year.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I work 7 on and 7 off 12 hr shifts. One week of days then one week of nights. I have been working 12 hr shifts for 18 years as a powerplant operator. I have worked the DuPont schedule, I have worked the 5 on, 5 off, 2 on and 2 off schedule And now 7-7 schedule.

I function on 5 hrs of sleep a day every once and once in a while my body will sleep for 8 or 9 hrs straight to catch up during my days off. Maybe my time in the Army helped with rotating schedule where I learned about cat naps and to sleep standing up leaning against a wall. I learned to take advantage with what was given to me and deal with it.

Some people have a hard time with shift work. Everyone I have worked with functions just fine. Drinking, melatonin, hot tub, etc find what works for you. Nights and shift work is an issue if you let it.

Best of luck, and stay safe out there.
FF0900B9-6794-4907-AA68-1A7DEAFC0E4A.jpeg

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I work 7 on and 7 off 12 hr shifts. One week of days then one week of nights. I have been working 12 hr shifts for 18 years as a powerplant operator. I have worked the DuPont schedule, I have worked the 5 on, 5 off, 2 on and 2 off schedule And now 7-7 schedule.

I function on 5 hrs of sleep a day every once and once in a while my body will sleep for 8 or 9 hrs straight to catch up during my days off. Maybe my time in the Army helped with rotating schedule where I learned about cat naps and to sleep standing up leaning against a wall. I learned to take advantage with what was given to me and deal with it.

Some people have a hard time with shift work. Everyone I have worked with functions just fine. Drinking, melatonin, hot tub, etc find what works for you. Nights and shift work is an issue if you let it.

Best of luck, and stay safe out there.
Same way 4-5 hours then one day ill go into hibernation to catchup.

Khakiforever

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk, 1990 F150
Occupation
Police Officer
We do the 3 days 2 nights, 2 off, 2 days 3 nights 5 off 12 hour shifts. Of course there is court and call in on those days off..... And of course there is always a call near the end of shift adding overtime.. I miss when we did the 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts 2 day, 2 nights, 4 off....

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been back on days for 2 weeks now; the trade off is one partner is a basic guy and the dude in charge thinks policing means sitting at various intersections running tags.

If my wife wouldn't have my balls disconnected I'd go back to night shift...

I thought I could handle whoever I was partnered with as long as I got back on days. I'd almost rather trade a perpetual zombie state than these guys.... almost...

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
Choir practice on the back parking lot at sunrise, keeps us vampires sane.

It is tragic that most people live their whole lives without realizing how well greasy breakfast food and booze go together...

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Choir practice on the back parking lot at sunrise, keeps us vampires sane.

It is tragic that most people live their whole lives without realizing how well and booze go together...
Back in the day there was a dear old lady that would roll into the Hardee's, and make fresh biscuits every morning. Around 5 am they were always ready. I would have married her if I wasn't already hooked. As they say in the south, "those biscuits would make you want to lay on the floor, and waller around". :crackup:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I go back on nights for a 4 month rotation starting tonight.

Excuse me while I contain my excitement.

tenor.gif
Oh brother, how I understand.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Work 6pm to 6am. Start days off Monday morning. Go to bed at 800AM and force myself awake at lunch time. Be productive. Lots of yard work for hours on end. Go to bed at 10PM so you can live a normal life for next 24 hours. Wake up at 1130PM. And here I am. Thats it. Where you expecting a punch line?

welcome-to-night-shift-where-sleep-on-your-days-off-is-made-up-and-what-day-it-is-does-not-mat...jpg
Sponsored