OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully I will only be on that godforsaken shift till the end of February and I can go back to days I’m pretty sure I’m going to gain 20 pounds. My only companions is this bag of pistachios and a krystal cup filled with bang energy drink as my mind slowly dwindles down the rabbit hole know as the internet

D4157F9B-D728-477B-8D09-4F459F7FC48D.jpeg

268CB761-11E7-461E-B20C-14F11D46E94C.jpeg
Sponsored

Ugly_Betty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Hopefully I will only be on that godforsaken shift till the end of February and I can go back to days I’m pretty sure I’m going to gain 20 pounds. My only companions is this bag of pistachios and a krystal cup filled with bang energy drink as my mind slowly dwindles down the rabbit hole know as the internet

D4157F9B-D728-477B-8D09-4F459F7FC48D.jpeg

268CB761-11E7-461E-B20C-14F11D46E94C.jpeg
21 years on the job and counting....only 6 months total on graves. That sh!t sucked.

Brian1017

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
This is where I luck out as a full time dispatcher and part time patrol... I spend 75% of my time on the midnights playing video games waiting for the phone to ring.
I can’t stand the full time midnights either though, hoping someone retires soon so I can either go 3-11 or back to an 11-7/3-11 split.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
I rotate 12 hour shifts 7-7, 4 nights, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 days. Rinse and repeat. Been doing it for 7 years, I'm use to it, only problem is when I'm off, my body defaults to night shift. It's 5am and I've been up for the last 4 hours for no reason at all.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
I feel for you guys as shift work really sux !
I spent 32 years in a steel mill working rotating shifts, 1 week of nights, 1 week of evenings & then 1 week of days. hated the grave yard shift as I never slept enough & felt like an old worn out dish rag.
it would take 3 or 4 days to feel & sleep better after working the grave yard shift.
since I retired the wife says I am a different person, actually likes to be around me....:shock: :LOL:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
We ran on swing shifts, 7/2, 7/2. 7/3. After 2 nights I didn't even like myself. If I had my pants on I had a pack of Rolaids in my pocket. It's tough, but somebodies gotta do it brother. Be safe.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I rotate 12 hour shifts 7-7, 4 nights, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 days. Rinse and repeat. Been doing it for 7 years, I'm use to it, only problem is when I'm off, my body defaults to night shift. It's 5am and I've been up for the last 4 hours for no reason at all.
Al, like Jack when I was younger I could breeze right through that crap. But, latter on my body didn't know which way was up. When I rolled to nights it got worse. The first 2 shifts I could sleep fairly well, but the rest I could get maybe 4 hours if I was lucky. Plus you always have a friend that would lose track of what shift you're on, call around 10:30 am, and say "Oh, did I wake you up". After that it went down hill. :)

A Detective position came open, and smart ass me thought that's gotta be better. But, working at a small dept. there were only 4 of us. Worst damn idea I ever had. :crackup:

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
4 hours is about right. Now the other crap part, I'm coming off rotation so today and tomorrow are my days off (long week / short week rotation). I'll force myself up by 1pm so I can have some semblance of a few normal days. I'll go to bed at a normal time and get up at 0500 so I can be productive.

Even when I did work primarily night shift I could never do stay up all night on days off anyhow.

So when I come back on rotation, I'll get up at 0500 - find stuff to do till 1200 - then take a nap till 1650 and be to work at 1800.

Sleep has just been sort of a zombie state for me. Last year alone I pulled 1100 hours of overtime, doubling my salary. When I look back and realize a full year is 2100 hours (14 days a month roughly) I don't know how I managed to squeeze an additional half year of work in. My longest stint was 14 days straight - my brain was pudding at that point. Probably could have robbed someone in front of me and I would be like, "Meh...."

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
What crew are you on? Goodyear right? I am on C crew

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
This is where I luck out as a full time dispatcher and part time patrol... I spend 75% of my time on the midnights playing video games waiting for the phone to ring.
I can’t stand the full time midnights either though, hoping someone retires soon so I can either go 3-11 or back to an 11-7/3-11 split.
I just remember something. One of our crime suppression guys I use to work with use to play that dang Call of Duty online like crazy when it first came out last year. He would setup to watch something or someone and use that to pass the time (guy seemingly had 2 sets of eyes). Next thing I know other people on shift and the local deputies are all blowing each other up in that game. haha

I was a big time FPS gamer from teens into mid 20's. I remember many a night at LAN parties playing DOOM, then Tribes online, then Counter-Strike (around beta 7) and I think the last thing I played religiously on the PC was Battlefield 3. Kind of grew out of it sometime after that.

I watch younger guys play stuff now a days and I remember being that fast and coordinated (hand to eye) - but I know that mojo train for me left the station a long time ago. I think I played BF4 for a short period and just got absolutely mud stomped because my reaction times went to garbage.

Brian1017

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I was a big time FPS gamer from teens into mid 20's. I remember many a night at LAN parties
Haha, for me it was Halo 1 and 2 that my friends and I would bring to LAN parties. Good memories of packing snacks, a console AND a TV just so we could all set up in one room to play.

I tried battlefield 5 and had the same experience, just too slow these days to be able to take on the younger crowd.