Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, I just purchased the Eibach pro-truck lift complete kit from @Stage3Motorspors (Thank you for being at work to send me my parts) and I'm torn between the 2.25" and 3". I'm looking for input on both heights and ride quality. This is my daily but I'm planing on doing some trails. Nothing wild, just trying to get over bigger rocks and through some steep desert washes with some gear to last a few days out there.
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
<== NOT AN OFF ROAD GENIUS!

As I understand it from talking with my Jeep pals and guys who have Razrs and Sand Rails out here...

Distance = Time
Meaning the amount of distance your wheel can travel, your height, gives the suspension system more time to soak up bumps and dips.

If you compare a truck to a car - a truck has for or five inches of wheel travel while the car has two. So the car has to do all of the suspension work inside of that two inches. That's not much time to dampen the abrupt impact of a bump. So cars have stiff springs and stiff shocks.

But if you add 3" to your 5" of wheel travel, you now have 8" of time to absorb the impact of the bump. You can afford a softer cushier spring and shock absorber set up so that the suspension has more flexibility in taking that impact of a bump before it gets passed along to the passengers in the form of an uncomfortable jarring ride.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, I just purchased the Eibach pro-truck lift complete kit from @Stage3Motorspors (Thank you for being at work to send me my parts) and I'm torn between the 2.25" and 3". I'm looking for input on both heights and ride quality. This is my daily but I'm planing on doing some trails. Nothing wild, just trying to get over bigger rocks and through some steep desert washes with some gear to last a few days out there.
I installed the Eibach pro Maximum is three inchess if you use the springs that come with the lift kit. But I only wanted to level the truck so I went up to 2.25 ' in the front and nothing in the rear.

I'm about an inch higher in the back than the front. If you want to go 3 in use the springs that come with the kit. Otherwise, for 2.25 you can use the stock springs. I did this to get a better ride and to level the truck not to make it look like a four-wheel drive.

rangerlevel (1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kawffin

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
<== NOT AN OFF ROAD GENIUS!

As I understand it from talking with my Jeep pals and guys who have Razrs and Sand Rails out here...

Distance = Time
Meaning the amount of distance your wheel can travel, your height, gives the suspension system more time to soak up bumps and dips.

If you compare a truck to a car - a truck has for or five inches of wheel travel while the car has two. So the car has to do all of the suspension work inside of that two inches. That's not much time to dampen the abrupt impact of a bump. So cars have stiff springs and stiff shocks.

But if you add 3" to your 5" of wheel travel, you now have 8" of time to absorb the impact of the bump. You can afford a softer cushier spring and shock absorber set up so that the suspension has more flexibility in taking that impact of a bump before it gets passed along to the passengers in the form of an uncomfortable jarring ride.
This was very helpful thank you. Do you think my on road ride will suffer at 3"?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Mine is at 2.25ā€ using the stock springs. Iā€™m happy I didnā€˜t order the full kit with Eibach springs, I lIke keeping just a slight rake and the ride quality is excellent.

FA96F2C0-1337-4D20-8C59-8EE587CAC73F.jpeg

45B78500-462B-4471-BAA2-2166162DC7C3.jpeg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Do you think my on road ride will suffer at 3"?
Everything is a compromise, right? I think your road ride will change. I think it may be less than what you currently experience. Will it be too much? Move away from the sweet spot in the compromise? Maybe.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Down travel has a lot to do with ride comfort, as well as off road performance.
The shock length on these trucks limits how far the wheel will actually travel down, which means the greater your static ride height, the less effective down travel you get, which means going off large bumps at highway speed are going to be felt a lot more, and you're going to be more likely to lift tires over twisty sections of trail.

if you're only worried about clearing rocks and ruts, then more height may be better for you, but also keep in mind, your rear axle is likely to be the lowest point of clearance, and the only thing increasing your rear axle clearance is the diameter of your tires. your approach/departure/breakover angles will be effected by your suspension height though, which can make a difference in some situations

I'm sure some people will argue with me, but IMO a 'slightly' lower ride height will offer better suspension travel, comfort, and performance, and tire size should be changed for an actual ground clearance increase.

Kellan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger, 2008 Mustang GT
I went 3" using the Eibach springs. No issues with ride quality; probably better than stock. Truck sits pretty much level. Going with 2.25" vs 3" likely will not have much of a noticeable difference in ride quality. With that said, i think the determining factor would be if you want a slight rake or more of a leveled look.

OP
OP
Kawffin

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Down travel has a lot to do with ride comfort, as well as off road performance.
The shock length on these trucks limits how far the wheel will actually travel down, which means the greater your static ride height, the less effective down travel you get, which means going off large bumps at highway speed are going to be felt a lot more, and you're going to be more likely to lift tires over twisty sections of trail.

if you're only worried about clearing rocks and ruts, then more height may be better for you, but also keep in mind, your rear axle is likely to be the lowest point of clearance, and the only thing increasing your rear axle clearance is the diameter of your tires. your approach/departure/breakover angles will be effected by your suspension height though, which can make a difference in some situations

I'm sure some people will argue with me, but IMO a 'slightly' lower ride height will offer better suspension travel, comfort, and performance, and tire size should be changed for an actual ground clearance increase.
So you're my wheel articulation will decrease at the 3in level vs the 2.25?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
So you're my wheel articulation will decrease at the 3in level vs the 2.25?
The total articulation technically will be the same, but at 3" ride height you'll have 3/4" less droop and 3/4" more compression than at the 2 1/4" ride height. BUT the compression will likely be harder to use all of. I'm not an expert but I've found extension travel tends to be a bit more helpful in keeping tires on the ground... I've seen a lot of cars with little extension travel bounce the front wheels off the ground when climbing steep bumpy hills, causing them to loose a LOT of traction.

But the key is finding out what point in your full range of travel your vehicle is actually sitting at.
The Ranger doesn't have a ton of travel in the front, so I'd imagine that 3/4" can make a pretty big difference.
Sponsored