Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll wait until the 2nd Gen Raptor. Same thing I did with the F-150 and I’m glad I did. Let’s hope these come with cooled seats, I’m spoiled with the F150 Raptor.
Hi mREch,

Coming South from Tucson in our Lincoln Nautilus yesterday in 109°F the cool seats were wonderful. Ford must have figured out something as our 2016 MKX felt like sitting in a bucket of Ice water. The 2020 version were absolutely great!...Sad my Ranger does not have this option...heated seats, yep, but why not cool seats as well. BTW....the Ford provide PPE for the Corona Virus used the F150 seat fans.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
That would be the selling point for me..I don’t think I can purchase another vehicle over 40K without cooled seats. I need to test drive one of the MKX’s, I like the power it has and the cooled seats. I hear ppl say they won’t buy things because of an option they really wanted, I think after the purchase of the Ranger and the hot weather, it has to be the cooled seats for me, it’s a staple in the 2nd Gen F150 Raptor. That’s interesting, wondering what the fans look like and if there is a difference between the mkx fan and F150 fan.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
That would be the selling point for me..I don’t think I can purchase another vehicle over 40K without cooled seats. I need to test drive one of the MKX’s, I like the power it has and the cooled seats. I hear ppl say they won’t buy things because of an option they really wanted, I think after the purchase of the Ranger and the hot weather, it has to be the cooled seats for me, it’s a staple in the 2nd Gen F150 Raptor. That’s interesting, wondering what the fans look like and if there is a difference between the mkx fan and F150 fan.
It would not be a deal-breaker for me, but cooled seats on a hot day, say, 90-plus, are a very cool feature indeed. If there is one feature that I miss from my former ride, the 2014 Explorer Limited, that would be it!

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I read somewhere the next gen Ranger is an updated T6 platform ... a "T6.1"and not a new design.

Nano is the engine family for the 2.7 ... the second gen is used in 2018+ F-150 and going into the Bronco ... from what I know it's not dimension smaller than the first gen ... rather has port fuel injection, variable oil pump, electronic wastegate etc. They may have stuffed it in ... maybe wider body = wider engine bay on the Ranger Raptor ?

All this could be lies and deception ... a 2.7 Ranger Raptor would cause quite a stir ... it would probably boost sales of regular Rangers and expose the TRD Pro as an over priced gimmick.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Why is the TRD pro an overpriced gimmick? I know very little about Tacoma’s.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Why is the TRD pro an overpriced gimmick? I know very little about Tacoma’s.
Allegedly you get TRD tuned shocks...then some rims, tires and LED fog lights...and STICKERS to make you a Pro. And all gearheads know its the stickers that make you go faster...those things are worth at least 25hp.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Allegedly you get TRD tuned shocks...then some rims, tires and LED fog lights...and STICKERS to make you a Pro. And all gearheads know its the stickers that make you go faster...those things are worth at least 25hp.
Don't forget the optional snorkel! Gimmick is probably not the word I wanted, overpriced is sufficient. There is some premium content like leather and leds ... but the true offroad capability it includes ...

• crawl control
  • terrain select
  • tuned fox shocks
  • elocker

This could be matched by an XL with FX4 package and the Ford Fox shock package... for much less than mid 43k+ MSRP of a TRD Pro.

If the top Ranger becomes a Raptor with a turbo 2.7, high end fox suspension and premium interior ... the TRD PRO starts look more sad, with it's tired NA V6 that makes power high up in the RPM range. Thrash away lads!

I'm guessing the Ranger Raptor will be more than a TRD Pro but still ... I think the other manufactures will feel left behind.

I think I'm just baffled by the Tacoma in general ... a vehicle where a generation or two had serious frame issues affecting 700k units and yet it is still considered reliable. Ha! That ain't a reliable truck platform ... it's a death trap. There is so much more to hate on the Tacoma I'm stopping here to realign my karma lol.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Rooster,

I am CERTAIN that there will be a new turbo 4 cyl and V6 offering that is normally in the Lexus lineup find its way into the Taco sooner or later. Toyota, as a car maker, has the global parts bin to make the Taco a truly awesome truck. But when I was shopping their pricing was far and away the biggest turn-off for me...the interior is okay (basically the approximate same as a 4Runner) and seats weren't that bad...but around here in my area they were pricing about 4-6k MORE than a better equipped Ranger and 10-12 more than a Frontier (my second choice).

What IS interesting is that the GLOBAL Toyota Hilux is loosing ground too. The Amarok, Navara, global Ranger, Triton all generally fare better than the Hilux now in alot of head to head comparisons. Hell Volkswagen auto group is working with Ford for their next gen Amarok...what does THAT tell you?

I honestly think that Toyota is simply banking on their name...and entropy is starting to set in for them...they might be able to pull out but once it starts...not even Car and Driver, Motortrend or Consumer Reports will be able to save their precious Toyota.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I'm perfectly happy with the get up and go the 2.3 has. when you mash the go pedal, it goes! passing camper trailers this weekend was a blast.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Is that 25 hp JSA or SAE Net? I want to be sure before I order a TRD sticker set for my '09 Mariner.
squinty grin.jpeg

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The 2.7 will be bada$$ in a Ranger, I had an F150 loaner with the 2.7 when I took my wife's car in and that is a strong engine.

Deleted member 1634

I read somewhere the next gen Ranger is an updated T6 platform ... a "T6.1"and not a new design.
Good to know. I guess it makes sense since the "T6.1" and T6 will be moving in the same plant come fall (Bronco and Ranger plant), so they can't really be that different logistically.

Thanks!