Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks ? it means a lot.
There are some things I would like help with or have questions. Hope you guys are down to help another Ranger owner change it and make it unique.
pssss....ya you...over here...don't listen to those guys who like to slam their tailgates...
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I do have a question …

so I have the Roush with the Fox2.0 package but it seems almost like the truck floats or hits every single bump very hard, does anyone else have that issue too? Rides a little rough, in my opinion…??
Hi Mack,

Start at the tire patch on the ground....what is Roush's recommendation for tire pressures on your tires. Hope the Fox mod folks here on the forum can chime in on the shock tuning. I can't help much on that as I have the stock FX4 package which I find excellent but is criticized for being too bouncy. I have done my share of ride tuning during my 30 years at Ford and learned long ago you cannot please every buyer. That is why we held clinics were regular customers drove pre production prototypes and critiqued everything from the chrome bezels to the ride.

A bit of a back story...it used to be the way to get the product to market was to please the Ford top brass when they evaluated the trucks. One particular executive VP was just horrible for what he wanted for a ride and handling tuning and when this person barked orders we jumped and made revisions...we put out some terrible tuning with this persons directives...so the way out and a good one was to do clinics....This Exec VP had to bite the bullet when the customer spoke... Things got a bit better has we headed in to the late 1980s..

best,
Phil

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I do have a question …

so I have the Roush with the Fox2.0 package but it seems almost like the truck floats or hits every single bump very hard, does anyone else have that issue too? Rides a little rough, in my opinion…??
"A little rough" compared to what?

The factory Rangers' suspension is very compliant. Too compliant, actually, it's mushy and it floats around too much. This is with both the FX and non FX suspension. It is severely underdamped, leading to factory trucks riding like a Cadillac with blown shocks/struts.

A common upgrade for many of us is shocks for this very reason. With the coilover kits simply adding height adjustability as well. My Fox 2.0 stage one kit is virtually identical to your Roush Fox kit with the exception of slight spring rate/valving differences.

These kits will make the truck ride more like a truck. You will be able to feel more of the road. But your suspension should soak them up well. So while you feel more of the road imperfections, your truck's suspension should keep you very settled over them.

So, compared to say an Escape, your Fox suspension should be a bit more rough on the city streets. But light years smoother running down a washboard road at speed.

The added unsprung weight of aftermarket wheels and larger tires can add to this feeling. Making expansion joints and smaller bumps easier to feel. Like Phil said, check your tire pressures. Most dealerships deliver these way overinflated.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
never slammed mine...proper physical fitness ensures a strong man grip and gentle touchdown with manly biceps.
i can even do it with the other arm holding multiple bags of fresh produce and groceries.
I bet you can lift it up yourself with your pinky... ??

OP
OP
TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
Hey Mack, I apologize for offending you, it was not my intent. I was merely responding to the question of, “What does a Roush Ranger do that a regular Ranger doesn’t?” I was not criticizing you personally, and I’m sorry if that’s how I came across. Yes, welcome, and yes, it is a nice looking truck. As @AzScorpion has already succinctly mentioned, most of us like the looks of your truck, but IMO, it is grossly overpriced. I am not a fan of Jack Roush, the man, or his company, and the fact that he’s selling people a $13,000 “Roush Performance” package, when it is merely an appearance package, is just wrong. But hey, that’s just my opinion. Your truck is admittedly a nice looking truck, and it is unique, and I wish you the very best with it. Safe travels.
Thank you sir. No need to apologize at all. I’m a big boy lol. I appreciate what you meant by clearing the air. It’s all good. I’ve had the birdie flipped to me several times by people I don’t know while in the truck too.. everyone is allowed to have an opinion.. and most people in the states forgot that. I am an advocate for that. You can like something or love something. Your choice. Doesn’t mean I agree or not … I hate pickles ?

Hope your day is going good and would love input from you on an any significant quick and roughly cheaply mods to make it a little faster ?

OP
OP
TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
I love Roush stuff. It’s always nice and well put together. I think you did good! It’s great news for Ford and the Ranger that they are making these versions. Hennessey has one too that is very similar. I’d love to own either version. I’m looking forward to a YouTube video of you jumping it! ?
You wanna film the YouTube ? ???

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thank you sir. No need to apologize at all. I’m a big boy lol. I appreciate what you meant by clearing the air. It’s all good. I’ve had the birdie flipped to me several times by people I don’t know while in the truck too.. everyone is allowed to have an opinion.. and most people in the states forgot that. I am an advocate for that. You can like something or love something. Your choice. Doesn’t mean I agree or not … I hate pickles ?

Hope your day is going good and would love input from you on an any significant quick and roughly cheaply mods to make it a little faster ?

You came to the right place! ?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/dz43206-2019-2020-ford-ranger-deezee-tailgate-assist.html

OP
OP
TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger

The factory Rangers' suspension is very compliant. Too compliant, actually, it's mushy and it floats around too much. This is with both the FX and non FX suspension. It is severely underdamped, leading to factory trucks riding like a Cadillac with blown shocks/struts.

A common upgrade for many of us is shocks for this very reason. With the coilover kits simply adding height adjustability as well. My Fox 2.0 stage one kit is virtually identical to your Roush Fox kit with the exception of slight spring rate/valving differences.

These kits will make the truck ride more like a truck. You will be able to feel more of the road. But your suspension should soak them up well. So while you feel more of the road imperfections, your truck's suspension should keep you very settled over them.

So, compared to say an Escape, your Fox suspension should be a bit more rough on the city streets. But light years smoother running down a washboard road at speed.

The added unsprung weight of aftermarket wheels and larger tires can add to this feeling. Making expansion joints and smaller bumps easier to feel. Like Phil said, check your tire pressures. Most dealerships deliver these way overinflated.
Rough to … a normal truck. Now I’ve never had my own lifted truck like this … but I just felt like it’s super bouncy or bumpy … but I also put much bigger tires on and agree that could hinder it. They are much bigger than what comes on a normal Roush … but I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the shocks would be needing to be replaced or anyone with the fox2.0 on my truck (I know it’s sold apart as well) would chime in with their ride.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

A common upgrade for many of us is shocks for this very reason. With the coilover kits simply adding height adjustability as well. My Fox 2.0 stage one kit is virtually identical to your Roush Fox kit with the exception of slight….
Plus one to what Doug says here. Before I swapped in the Fox Performance 2.0 set, my Ranger road like a family car - a bit too soft, a bit too compliant.

There’s a section of elevated freeway in my city and the ramp up to it has about a dozen very uneven expansion joints. My truck used to oscillate like mad on these and by the time I hit the last one, I felt like I was on the failing Tacoma Narrows bridge.

The stiffer Fox struts suck up that first hit nicely and the rebound damping leaves little for the second bounce and nothing for a third. It’s tuned for better off-road performance and that means it’s going to be a bit stiffer going over potholes and rail crossings but you can’t beat it with a stick on rough gravel roads.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I do 30 all the way around.
Interesting...should be cushy at the pressure...I have 285s and extra weight so I run 37 cold (40 warmed) and it's very comfy...probably your damper/springs?

OP
OP
TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
Interesting...should be cushy at the pressure...I have 285s and extra weight so I run 37 cold (40 warmed) and it's very comfy...probably your damper/springs?
Do you guys prefer higher or lower psi?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase