First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Possible stupid question- after smashing the 5g up part of the repairs was two new tires to replace the ones that got damaged. So i had 20k on the tires. After the accident the 2 replaced are front and rear of the passenger side. Leaving the two old tires on the driver front and rear. I know different sizes is not good a thing esp with 4 wheel drive. So is the difference between the tires with 20k tred gone vs brand new tred gonna be a problem or make issues? I was thinking the difference would be only slight diameter change. I also thought i could just put the new ones on back. Input please . Yes all four are same size as built- just two worn and two new.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mark, If it were me I would have all 4 replaced. This way they will all wear the same and you won't have miss-matched ones later on down the road. Then you'll be replacing the other two and these will be worn.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I would go with all new. At the very least, put the two new tires on the front axle.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Stupid question? No such thing (In my best Ted Lasso impersonation. :))

I honestly don’t think it would be enough size difference to damage anything, especially, if the locker wasn’t used much.

BUT, for me, I would move them so each axle had either the new or old, with the new on the front first as you will feel the effect on steering lightness, etc. with the news on the front. If you are happy enough with your current tire, brand and size and plan to stick with it, then the above advice will work fine.

The way I rotate, is front to back on the same side. I don’t do the cross axle rotation, which becomes kind of mandatory if you throw in the spare. I don’t rotate my spare in the routine as I tend to stick to one brand and size through many sets of the tires.

There are many schools of thought on these issues, most will work fine if you stick to the fundamental choices you are making with regard to how you rotate, if you like to hop around brands and sizes between replacement cycles, etc.

PS, If you do decide to go all new, you can get a decent percentage of the outlay back by selling the “old tires”.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
unfortunately insurance will not pay for four new tires just the "damaged" two. Im actually a little over tire -d at the moment. I have 2 new full spares already, plus the 2 new and since the "old" were not damaged more than minor sidewall scuff I kept them. The insurance adjuster guy saw the scuffs and said oh these two tires got messed up, we will replace these also. I just sorta nodded yes lol. Ive honestly damaged the sidewalls more on an after noon off pavement than the accident did. So i could put the matching 20k miles set back on and have 4 new spares if i get a couple more wheels :rolleyes:. they are all the same size and type and i will stick with them for a while. I havent had a chance to get the truck back for them to fix issues i was not happy with and due to family issues its been sitting in the garage since i picked up it about a week ago. so today is the first time i drove the truck, seems to run fine but definitely a tire out of balance at highway speed, hopefully its just a tire.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
unfortunately insurance will not pay for four new tires just the "damaged" two. Im actually a little over tire -d at the moment. I have 2 new full spares already, plus the 2 new and since the "old" were not damaged more than minor sidewall scuff I kept them. The insurance adjuster guy saw the scuffs and said oh these two tires got messed up, we will replace these also. I just sorta nodded yes lol. Ive honestly damaged the sidewalls more on an after noon off pavement than the accident did. So i could put the matching 20k miles set back on and have 4 new spares if i get a couple more wheels :rolleyes:. they are all the same size and type and i will stick with them for a while. I havent had a chance to get the truck back for them to fix issues i was not happy with and due to family issues its been sitting in the garage since i picked up it about a week ago. so today is the first time i drove the truck, seems to run fine but definitely a tire out of balance at highway speed, hopefully its just a tire.
With all you got going on, it is amazing to me you can focus on these lesser issues (lesser now, not lesser later if you didn’t deal with it up front.). Good on you.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well its a 4x4 not awd. That being said i would try and keep each axle with its own set of matching tires at a minimum. Only 4x4 moves all tires the same rate, and usually off road so you can get away with different sizes. Just as long as each axle has the same tire. Thats what i would do.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
With all you got going on, it is amazing to me you can focus on these lesser issues (lesser now, not lesser later if you didn’t deal with it up front.). Good on you.
Thank you, I am trying to keep up with everything. It feels like I am barely staying on top of the water some days lol. But I have learned no ones life is easy. Things can always be worse. Would not want anyone else's problems or challenges. Maybe just the bank accounts :crazy:

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Thank you all for the input. I am going to have Discount Tire swap around and balance the tires for me. Get the new ones both on one axle. Any one need 265 70 17 bfg ko2 with about 20 k on it ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Stupid question? No such thing (In my best Ted Lasso impersonation. :))

I honestly don’t think it would be enough size difference to damage anything, especially, if the locker wasn’t used much.

BUT, for me, I would move them so each axle had either the new or old, with the new on the front first as you will feel the effect on steering lightness, etc. with the news on the front. If you are happy enough with your current tire, brand and size and plan to stick with it, then the above advice will work fine.

The way I rotate, is front to back on the same side. I don’t do the cross axle rotation, which becomes kind of mandatory if you throw in the spare. I don’t rotate my spare in the routine as I tend to stick to one brand and size through many sets of the tires.

There are many schools of thought on these issues, most will work fine if you stick to the fundamental choices you are making with regard to how you rotate, if you like to hop around brands and sizes between replacement cycles, etc.

PS, If you do decide to go all new, you can get a decent percentage of the outlay back by selling the “old tires”.
I agree the wear isn't enough to matter, and definitely get the match tires on one axle.

Rotating I do side swaps as well. I move front tires to the back on the same side, and rear tires go to the opposite side on the front. That way there is no guessing about whether I'm on straight rotation or X rotation when I do it. The same thing every time, and all tires go to all positions.

With 20K miles difference, I would adjust the rotation schedule so the new tires spend a little more time on the rear. 5K miles when the new tires are on the front, 10 miles when they are on the back. After another 30K miles the wear will be pretty close.
Sponsored