Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Truck Driver
IMO

You don’t need to be doing “extreme rock crawling” to justify a stiffer tire with a higher load rating. I have seen P series tires get the side wall sliced opened by a rock while off roading on a flat trail. The guy was only driving 3 mph but rubbed a rock and spent the next 30 min changing a tire. Could have easily been a branch to cause the same level of damage.

If off-roading, I would suggest a C load rated tire for the safety and benefits. For comparision a rubicon that is designed to be off road comes standard with LT285/70R17C C series 6 ply KO2 tires.

A FX4 ranger comes with LT 265/65R17 tires for off road use. That truck has the same load carrying and towing capacity as the other Ranger models but they add stiffer tires because it’s designed for off road and subjected to hazards on the trail.

In short, get a C series and not SL tires if off-roading.
My fx4 came with p rated tires 30psi on door label. I'm going with P285/70/17 Cooper discover at3 4s seems tough with all the YouTube videos of abuse and trying to pop it stock tyre was 265/65/17 37lbs the cooper's in P285/70/17 are 46lbs seems good for me mostly road and beach. I haven't had problems with the stocks except for sliding on pavement on wet so want to change as soon as I can. Ps I air down the stocks to 10psi on beach gos anywhere there
Sponsored