First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
I have stated on other treads that I was very dissatisfied with the tires Ford decided to put on my 2WD ranger which are Bridgestone Duelers H/T 685's. I really did not wan't to buy new tires for a brand new truck and originally I was going to drive on these crap tires for another year or so. I have since changed my mind. Two days ago I installed a set of Komho Crugen HT51 all season 255/65R17 110T. I had a set of these on my 2011 Ranger and I really liked them. I had my auto shop put the old tires on the balancing machine to see if we could see any obvious problems with the Bridgestones. All four of the tires where out at least 1/2 oz in balance and two of the four tires had a very noticeable radial run-out. Note: I tried to up- load a video of this with no luck.

Ride quality:
On a smooth highway, I would say the ride quality is almost equal to my car now, a 2013 Fusion hybrid riding on Michelin Premier A/S's; (that's really saying something).
On less than perfect but relatively smooth roads; the Ranger still has the jitters but it is substantially less harsh. (it is a truck after all).
As the quality of the road decreases, the ride quality of these tires over the OEM tires increases. To clarify, the roads that used to upset the ride of the truck the most have shown the most improvement.

Road/Tire noise:
What road noise??? No kidding, these tires are incredibly quite. On a smooth road at any speed, I just can't hear these tires at all; now all I hear is wind noise and the wind noise is not bad at all. Note: this goes for both having the windows up or down.

Handling/Cornering:
The Bridestones weren't bad in the corners but the Komho's are notably better. Quick turn in and smooth the whole way; they inspire confidence.

Manufactures ratings: Treadwear / Traction (wet stopping) / Temperature
Bridgestone Duelers, 520 B B
Komho Crugan HT51, 720 A A

The difference in the way my new Ranger rides and handles is night and day. The day I drove my Ranger home was a VERY bad experience, much of this was because the engine had a very obvious miss, the transmission was all over the place and the ride was jittery as hell.
The engine miss was finally fixed after 3 trips to the dealership.
The transmission sorted itself out over time.
The new tires fixed the ride.
The way this truck now drives brings a smile to my face. After spending the first 6 weeks trying to ignore the way the truck road, I now look forward to driving it. Another thing that brings a smile to my face is the gas mileage. I'm on my 8th tank so far and my average is 23.7 mpg (last tank was 25). This mileage is actually calculated, not what's reading on the dash.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark Lally

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Jeff
My biggest complaint on that particular thread was the wet traction rating of a B. I have mentioned the jittery ride on several other treads long before I joined the thread in question. As I have not driven the new tires in the rain, I can not speak to how they perform, but what I do know for a fact is that they would stop faster in the rain than the crappy tires that came on the truck. Noted: one vote for big fat fail.

Last edited:

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Sounds like you did what needed to be done to be happy in your truck; unfortunate, however, that Ford didn’t take up the issue. Either way, glad you’re happy!

Good review too.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting the 18" Dueler H/T 685 is rated A for traction and the 17" B.
Sponsored