Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hey Gang
Happy to be part of the club.
Picked up this cactus gray 2021 XLT (with Sport pack, Tech Pack, 302A, Running boards, and diff locker).
Had been looking at used ½-tons from 2015-ish, but found leasing new was cheaper monthly payments.
As an Aussie, I just had to look at the Ranger (given that it's roots are Australian), and I saw that for 2021 Ford started doing Cactus Gray. Damn ? Love at first sight! haha

Last Thursday, I found online what appeared to be the only CG one with heated seats (heated seats were a must for me) in all of New England and went and 'bought' it Saturday. Took delivery yesterday afternoon.

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1672.jpeg

So far I've done about 50mi of mixed driving and it's great. Interested to see just how much of a difference the rear damper upgrade does as I don't find stock too unnerving, really... But given what I've read, I'm doing dampers!

Overall, loving the ute (or truck...), but I do have a couple of gripes:
- The XLT models in Aus get keyless entry and push-button start...why don't we get that here?!
- Aus also gets a couple of sweet diesel engines, including a nice bi-turbo 2.0L with 370lb-ft of torque and does 35mpg (hwy)
- The gauge cluster info screen is kinda annoying...why don't we get the ability to see what the audio is...my wife's 2018 Ecosport shows radio settings, would be nice if the Ranger did the same.

Sean..
Welcome to the family fellow New Englander! I’m south of Boston near Gillette Stadium. Ever make it down this way give a shout out!!!
Sponsored

Marmite

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab FX4
Well I went and bought my first ever truck. 2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercab with tow package and 301A trim in Cactus Gray. It was bought sight unseen but so far feels and looks great!!

Have lurked here for many months doing my research so many thanks to all the contributors, you made my choice easy!
IMG_0262.JPG

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hi All from San Diego!
I’m the FNG and happy to be here. Purchased my 21 Cactus Gray Lariat FX4 only a couple days ago and couldn’t be happier. My first car as a kid was a 71 Galaxy and I hadn’t owned a Ford until trading in my 19 Charger Scat Pack. Wishing RAM made a Dakota but regardless I’m very happy with the Ranger that has won me over. Out of all the midsize trucks I test drove, the inline 4 is punchy and delivers power in the right places. Much of the competition felt a bit sluggish despite being V6s.
No major mods planned but I will make a few additions. First priority is to disable the auto start/stop. It’s just a minor oddity, along with others like the rear sliding window being an option and manual and no push button start below the Lariat unless optioned.
Here are a couple other additions I’m considering,
-Pivot storage box
-bed cap/camper shell (suggestions?)
-bed dampener (so kid doesn’t hurt herself)
-Rubber floor liners
-Stubby antenna
-armrest storage tray
-Sync screen protector
-Tint
-Front level kit (although FX4 looks damn near level already)
-Ford Performance calibration (any reliability issues?)
-Cat back exhaust (worth the dough? Not sure how choked out the Ranger is)
The forum looks to be active, so that’s great and I’m certain I’ll find all kinds of information on the above list and good discussion to boot. Anyway good to be here and look forward to chatting with you good folks!

623CFC3A-4369-4BAA-8AF2-9A1EE74D7B1F.jpeg
Hey San Diego bud! I have some answers to your questions. The ford performance calibration is worth EVERY penny. It really opens up the power in these turbos. It shifts 2x better as well. No reliability issues so far, got it at 100 miles in and at 11k now. I got mine done at Kearny Mesa ford if you struggle to find a dealer to do it.

The exhaust helped open up the restrictiveness a ton with the tune, also sounds great. But it may be in line with a throaty ricer type sound since we are 4 bangers. Although, I did get the roush cai and exhaust at the same time, so I’m not sure if it’s a combined effect of opening up the air or what. Welcome and good to see another San Diego member.

Regnar

First Name
Brud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Hey Gang.

I just picked up a 2021 Ranger XLT FX4 with the sport package yesterday. Been into these Rangers for a while, and love the overall package - still a truck, can off road, good aftermarket support, and oh yeah - spinnyboi turbo fun! I'm genuinely surprised by how quick this thing is. Can't wait to start in on some tasteful modding!

First plans are some beefier tires, fox 2.0's, intake, and exhaust. Can't wait to get it out on some CO trails!

PXL_20210529_004050428.jpg

Last edited:

RescueMe1060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2021 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Dept. of Public Works
Hello everyone, finally made my own profile after a few months of reading through some of the threads here. I have been driving my 02' FX4 for almost 8 years now and at the beginning of April I ordered my new iconic silver 2021 Ranger FX4. I'm hoping for a status update from the dealership in a few weeks, I'm thinking it won't be here until September or October at the earliest but with the current chip shortage its all up in the air. Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
Hey San Diego bud! I have some answers to your questions. The ford performance calibration is worth EVERY penny. It really opens up the power in these turbos. It shifts 2x better as well. No reliability issues so far, got it at 100 miles in and at 11k now. I got mine done at Kearny Mesa ford if you struggle to find a dealer to do it.

The exhaust helped open up the restrictiveness a ton with the tune, also sounds great. But it may be in line with a throaty ricer type sound since we are 4 bangers. Although, I did get the roush cai and exhaust at the same time, so I’m not sure if it’s a combined effect of opening up the air or what. Welcome and good to see another San Diego member.
Nice! I bought my truck at KM Ford so bonus there I guess. One issue I’ve read is if you go with a bigger tire the Ford calibration won’t “work”...I’m thinking of doing the Roush version that can be adjusted for my tires that I plan to add, 265/70/18. Wonder if KM would install the Roush calibration that comes with the cai. I’ll keep an eye out and maybe we’ll run into each other around town. Side note...Seeing a lot of Rangers with the safari bed toppers here.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Nice! I bought my truck at KM Ford so bonus there I guess. One issue I’ve read is if you go with a bigger tire the Ford calibration won’t “work”...I’m thinking of doing the Roush version that can be adjusted for my tires that I plan to add, 265/70/18. Wonder if KM would install the Roush calibration that comes with the cai. I’ll keep an eye out and maybe we’ll run into each other around town. Side note...Seeing a lot of Rangers with the safari bed toppers here.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that bigger tire thing with the ford calibration. Perhaps Roush will be a better tune! Haha I'd imagine one day we will run into each other, I have silly Roush advertising all over my car. Safari bed toppers, the tent kind on top? If so, I haven't seen those. I drive more around the clairemont area though. See a few rangers here and there, none modded though.

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh, I wasn't aware of that bigger tire thing with the ford calibration. Perhaps Roush will be a better tune! Haha I'd imagine one day we will run into each other, I have silly Roush advertising all over my car. Safari bed toppers, the tent kind on top? If so, I haven't seen those. I drive more around the clairemont area though. See a few rangers here and there, none modded though.
My thought too. Hey the Roush Ranger is pretty cool, I like the interior. Yep the soft top, like the one from Bestop. I like them but already have a tonneau cover. Okay, clairemont, I’m in La Mesa. There’s a black FX4 in my neighborhood and the guys running 305/70/18 Ridge Grapplers. Looks good but that’s a lot of rubber on these trucks.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
My thought too. Hey the Roush Ranger is pretty cool, I like the interior. Yep the soft top, like the one from Bestop. I like them but already have a tonneau cover. Okay, clairemont, I’m in La Mesa. There’s a black FX4 in my neighborhood and the guys running 305/70/18 Ridge Grapplers. Looks good but that’s a lot of rubber on these trucks.
hah, mines a fake roush ranger. No nice roush interior, but if it counts, lariat interior ? la Mesa, that’s why I bet you see a lot more trucks down over there! The tonneau covers are nice, had them on my Colorado back a bit ago.
That is a lot of rubber for these trucks, you would definitely have to lift, remove crash bars and whatever other jazz to make it not rub! Here’s a pic of imposter roush me. But, I love it :) oh, and that’s the top of otay mountain, the summit, just in case you decide to venture up there. Lots of drop offs though. But slow and easy gets you this view! Also a bonus is South Bay rod and gun club is in the area too.
AB42D026-2813-4A35-9B9B-0C7BB803B199.jpeg
DC5F2149-F8B4-44B4-A075-B9515E5C85EF.jpeg

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Looks great! I don't know what you used to drive, but it looks like Tacoma Boys in your rear view mirror! ?
?????????????? He lives in Tacoma, WA.

Reactions: Doc

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
hah, mines a fake roush ranger. No nice roush interior, but if it counts, lariat interior ? la Mesa, that’s why I bet you see a lot more trucks down over there! The tonneau covers are nice, had them on my Colorado back a bit ago.
That is a lot of rubber for these trucks, you would definitely have to lift, remove crash bars and whatever other jazz to make it not rub! Here’s a pic of imposter roush me. But, I love it :) oh, and that’s the top of otay mountain, the summit, just in case you decide to venture up there. Lots of drop offs though. But slow and easy gets you this view! Also a bonus is South Bay rod and gun club is in the area too.
AB42D026-2813-4A35-9B9B-0C7BB803B199.jpeg
Nice view! Will have to give it a go. I'm liking my Lariat interior no doubt! I especially like your topper, you like it? I really want a SnugTop but boy they are $$$ and I want to do my suspension first. Have the Bilstein 6112s on the way and will put 5100 on the rear. You running a different tire from stock? I'm going with a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 once the suspension is in.

Reactions: Doc

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Brandon, are those recovery board mounts on you topper’s windows? If I haven’t already said so, nice Scab by the way.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Nice view! Will have to give it a go. I'm liking my Lariat interior no doubt! I especially like your topper, you like it? I really want a SnugTop but boy they are $$$ and I want to do my suspension first. Have the Bilstein 6112s on the way and will put 5100 on the rear. You running a different tire from stock? I'm going with a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 once the suspension is in.
The view is nice being up in the clouds, maybe go on a clear day and you can see a bit more. The topper is great! Although, I did get a bit of upgrades to it so it costed a pretty penny indeed. I’ve heard great things about the bilsteins, let me know how you like them! Those AT3 will be a beauty on the ranger too. I am currently running dry the stock hankook’s, no new tires yet.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hey Brandon, are those recovery board mounts on you topper’s windows? If I haven’t already said so, nice Scab by the way.
Thanks for the comment Duke! They actually aren’t, recovery board mounts, just locks because the windows open like this, and slide open in the middle.
01B72016-A69F-46EA-A100-842D09367ABB.jpeg

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the comment Duke! They actually aren’t, recovery board mounts, just locks because the windows open like this, and slide open in the middle.
01B72016-A69F-46EA-A100-842D09367ABB.jpeg
I Like that! Hard to tell but is it an ARE? I'll let you know how the Bilstein's work out for sure :thumbsup:
Sponsored