First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Adding to this. Yesterday I went to the dealer to get my oil changed... (2 years free so it's on them and full synthetic)... They dropped the entire skid assembly (all three plates) in less than 10 mins in one piece then put them back after the oil change. No additional charge. Service advisor said it only took them about 15 mins longer than it would have with the factory skid piece of tin that they have to remove anyway. I was expecting to get hosed on this but not the case.
Nice.?
Sponsored

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Has anyone cut an access hole to the oil drain plug yet?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Has anyone cut an access hole to the oil drain plug yet?
Why would you but a skid plate package for that cost just to cut it when it is meant to protect things? I understand the diff drop but that is a different deal

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Why would you but a skid plate package for that cost just to cut it when it is meant to protect things? I understand the diff drop but that is a different deal
Cuz I had too much fun with the the angle grinder., And I'm looking around everywhere to cut shit up.?

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
So you need to remove all 3 just to change the oil? Wtf
I don't think I'm really gonna care if the oil drain
I'm not, I'm just gonna pull the plug and see where and how it drains and go from there. It's just a skid plate and it's under the truck. I don't really care if it's dirty underneath. But I'll see what path the oil takes and maybe make some modifications. Maybe.

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I don't think I'm really gonna care if the oil drain

I'm not, I'm just gonna pull the plug and see where and how it drains and go from there. It's just a skid plate and it's under the truck. I don't really care if it's dirty underneath. But I'll see what path the oil takes and maybe make some modifications. Maybe.
Any pictures of where the drain plug & skid line up? Curious now ?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It is definitely under the center plate. For those who still have factory skid plates it is best to remove the steer plate for the oil drain. Something else that others need to think about is the drain for the oil filter. That dip rail works berry well and will probably hit either the center or rear skid plate depending on the mounting.

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I think it'll be around here? Just making a cut with a circle bit(?)wouldn't comprise anything and if I can line it up, problem solved about making a mess. You can to the drain plug either thru the wheel well(probably easiest) or underneath. Either way you need a swivel.
IMG_20210508_104629627.jpg

I think this is it...
IMG_20210508_104744504.jpg

Somewhere around here.

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
It is definitely under the center plate. For those who still have factory skid plates it is best to remove the steer plate for the oil drain. Something else that others need to think about is the drain for the oil filter. That dip rail works berry well and will probably hit either the center or rear skid plate depending on the mounting.
?? Well that answered my oil change questions. I'll let my guys do it for now on. I did the important stuff. They can deal with this and I'll have them modify the plate for a good drain from the pan, maybe even the filter too.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
?? Well that answered my oil change questions. I'll let my guys do it for now on. I did the important stuff. They can deal with this and I'll have them modify the plate for a good drain from the pan, maybe even the filter too.
Lol just remember that there is always an up side and down side to every modification done!! Having the skid plates for extra protection going off road is Well worth it even though the oil changes will be a pain.

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
What about just using a fluid change pump? That’s what I planned to do.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What about just using a fluid change pump? That’s what I planned to do.
Don't forget you still got oil that's going to come out of the oil filter and get your skid plate. Also it's really not hard to just pull the plug and put it back on without stripping it.

sklnbnz

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
No... The tech at the dealer just decided to do that and left them all attached in one large piece. I guess he thought it was easier that way since it was on a lift.

mapco

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
OK someone help me out here. I ordered a skid plate that said it was compatible with my Ranger, it's ARB part number 5440200. This was the link: https://thmotorsports.com/12979496-arb-5440200

Now that I have the skid plate I'm realizing it looks different than what the OP posted and on ARB's website it lists part number 5440230 as the one for our Ranger. Did I just mess up big time? this skid was shipped from ARB USA in Jacksonville Florida... I cannot get it to fit right. What's going on?
Sponsored