First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
My 2020 Ranger XLT was purchased in April of 2020 and there has been no updates to the Navigation system since the truck was built, Nav screen shows last/original update was performed in Oct 2019. I recently took a trip to the NC coast around the Wilmington area and was unable to load in an address due to an outdated version. I want to perform a new download to update my Navigation, but I have not found any information here on how easy or difficult to perform the update via WIFI. Has anyone performed a Navigation update? What is the latest version currently available? How long does the process take? Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.....

Thanks, George
Sponsored

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
AFAIK it’s not available over WiFi yet and it’s not an easy setup. I’m sure there is a thread around here about it.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Search the threads for Sync 3 updates. In that thread it discusses the nav file among others. You’re going to need a USB stick formatted a certain way and the files you get from Ford using your VIN.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
My 2020 Ranger XLT was purchased in April of 2020 and there has been no updates to the Navigation system since the truck was built, Nav screen shows last/original update was performed in Oct 2019. I recently took a trip to the NC coast around the Wilmington area and was unable to load in an address due to an outdated version. I want to perform a new download to update my Navigation, but I have not found any information here on how easy or difficult to perform the update via WIFI. Has anyone performed a Navigation update? What is the latest version currently available? How long does the process take? Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.....

Thanks, George
Bunch of questions...
  1. What Sync are you on...?? a 2020 edition Ranger, I hope would be on Sync 3.4
    1. If not here is the place to go... worked perfectly for me
    2. https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/windows-automated-method-update-to-3-4/
    3. You can add the map to the update process here as well
  2. This is the update site for navi maps: Ford Navi Maps
    1. Oddly, it does not show the Ranger :( why I don't know... but is the official site.
    2. There may be other oddities regarding the Ranger. but 1.2 got me everything I needed.
Hope this helps.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
I was under the impression ford locks navigation updates into a paid service at the dealerships?

Stevo56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2016 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Occupation
Retired
When I bought my 2020 last September I logged into my Ford Owner's account and checked for updates. It said I had both a Sync update and a free map update. Downloaded both to two USB sticks and installed them. The map update took over an hour.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I was under the impression ford locks navigation updates into a paid service at the dealerships?
This is not true. As has been posted here already, https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home is the site for the map updates. The most recent update is NA119. You can find which version you have in your Sync settings on your truck.

Also, OP, the Ford maps are best used around town. The community I live in was built in 2018 and the roads in the community still aren't on the NA119 maps that were sent out last year. Your phone will 10/10 times be a better and more accurate maps option. Sync also doesn't give traffic. Connecting the phone to the truck via USB also allows utilization of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Both of those will use the maps on your phone device. Protip: If you have an iPhone, don't use Apple Maps. Always use Google Maps.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
@SILK
Screenshot_20210414-164819_Gallery.jpg

Is there something I'm missing? I'm not seeing any obvious things on the website that direct me to a download. Without paying that is.

Or were you just being specific by saying you don't have to go to a dealership?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

Thanks, George
I'm not aware that my 2019 XLT even HAS navigation options. Never seen them on my screen and can't find anything remotely related in the Settings tab.

On an unrelated note, George, I grew up just a few miles north of you in Axton, VA. You're in a good place...good people there in Eden.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
@SILK
Screenshot_20210414-164819_Gallery.jpg

Is there something I'm missing? I'm not seeing any obvious things on the website that direct me to a download. Without paying that is.

Or were you just being specific by saying you don't have to go to a dealership?
Do you have an option there just below that with the "Sync 3 Digital Download"? I downloaded mine to a USB, just like the Sync update, and put it in the USB of my truck. Truck automatically pulls the new data. If you've already downloaded it, for some reason you can't download it again and have to pay for a second copy. It's weird. But it looks like you've got the option there just below this screengrab. You may need to access it via a computer and not a phone since it will download.

I'm not aware that my 2019 XLT even HAS navigation options. Never seen them on my screen and can't find anything remotely related in the Settings tab.

On an unrelated note, George, I grew up just a few miles north of you in Axton, VA. You're in a good place...good people there in Eden.
2019 XLT's have Nav if the package is equipped. I bet most don't. But many do. Not sure if it's on the 301 or only on 302.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
@SILK yeah the other option is a digital download for $105
Weird. I did not pay. I was in another thread on this and I don't think those guys had to pay either. Do you know what map version you do have? Probably NA118.
Sponsored