First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I checked but didn't see a NASCAR specific thread.
Since it's the start of the season, thought I'd see if there are many other fans here.
I'm a long time fan ('78) and been to a good number of races; Watkins Glen, Daytona, Michigan, Charlotte, Bristol, Talledega, Kentucky, Martinsville, Nashville. Hoping to maybe get to one of the Phoenix races this year. Go to local tracks when I can.
Was a Mark Martin and Roush fan, hoping Keslowski can bring them back to the top. Big fan of Tony Stewart's team now and Fords in general.
Interested to see how the racing is this year with the new cars.
Anyone else follow NASCAR?
Sponsored

GregP

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Customer Service
Great to see another Mark Martin fan on here! I started following in 1993, Mark Martin & Davey Allison were my favorite drivers. I went to both Darlington races last year (meant to snap a pic of the ranger parked in the infield but totally forgot!)

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I was a fan 20 years ago when cars could race and pull away from each other without a drafting buddy. Now it’s just a line of cars glued to each other’s tails. I’m sitting here watching the Daytona 500 and its - boring.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I didn’t appreciate it growing up with my dad watching it, but started watching right after the Dale Earnhardt tragedy and became a big fan. Now, it’s hard for me to stay interested since they break it up into segments.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Exciting race I thought. Lead changes, close competition and a rookie won.
Ford - First On Race Day!
I didn’t appreciate it growing up with my dad watching it, but started watching right after the Dale Earnhardt tragedy and became a big fan. Now, it’s hard for me to stay interested since they break it up into segments.
Yeah, not a fan of the segments though I understand why they did it. Keeps the drivers in the middle part of the races competing and closes up the field.
I was a fan 20 years ago when cars could race and pull away from each other without a drafting buddy. Now it’s just a line of cars glued to each other’s tails. I’m sitting here watching the Daytona 500 and its - boring.
The super-speedways are always a crap shoot. I thought it was worse when the cars had the splitters and spoilers and could only run in 2 car packs. I'd rather see close competition.
Not much you can do with restrictor plates.

I think the new Gen car evened up the field as there were single and 2 car teams competing for the win. At least for this race, we'll see what happens as the season goes on. Big issue I had with last season on the 1.5 miles is the person in front generally pulled away and noone could catch them.

If you haven't been to a race, I recommend it. It's amazing; the crowd, the sounds, sights, excitement...
Another track I forgot to mention earlier was Indy, a couple 400's and a couple 500's. Had the infield experience back when it was general admission for $25 and a huge party. Also went to the Grand Prix of Cleveland a couple times. I hope to hit all the tracks eventually.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Exciting race I thought. Lead changes, close competition and a rookie won.
Ford - First On Race Day!

Yeah, not a fan of the segments though I understand why they did it. Keeps the drivers in the middle part of the races competing and closes up the field.

The super-speedways are always a crap shoot. I thought it was worse when the cars had the splitters and spoilers and could only run in 2 car packs. I'd rather see close competition.
Not much you can do with restrictor plates.

I think the new Gen car evened up the field as there were single and 2 car teams competing for the win. At least for this race, we'll see what happens as the season goes on. Big issue I had with last season on the 1.5 miles is the person in front generally pulled away and noone could catch them.

If you haven't been to a race, I recommend it. It's amazing; the crowd, the sounds, sights, excitement...
Another track I forgot to mention earlier was Indy, a couple 400's and a couple 500's. Had the infield experience back when it was general admission for $25 and a huge party. Also went to the Grand Prix of Cleveland a couple times. I hope to hit all the tracks eventually.
I’ve been to one race and it was a Saturday race at Talladega. Very exciting! And LOUD! :crackup: Wasn’t expecting it to sound like jets racing around the track. Bought some earplugs. I could not, for the life of me, tell who was who as they sped by. But, I loved it and want to go back someday to the Sunday race. I loved watching the fighter jets fly over. Just loved the whole atmosphere. There is so much to see and do.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I’ve been to one race and it was a Saturday race at Talladega. Very exciting! And LOUD! :crackup: Wasn’t expecting it to sound like jets racing around the track. Bought some earplugs. I could not, for the life of me, tell who was who as they sped by. But, I loved it and want to go back someday to the Sunday race. I loved watching the fighter jets fly over. Just loved the whole atmosphere. There is so much to see and do.
Ear protection is a must even when your half deaf like me. Bristol in unbearable without protection.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Nice. 120 mph and $30,000 in prize money. Things have changed.
Yes they have. I love watching the old races and listening to the stories from the drivers. Dale Jr's podcasts are pretty good and liked his Lost Speedways series too. He does a nice job with those.
Sponsored