First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Not a rabid fan, but followed NASCAR since I was a kid. Gotta love the Mustangs, wish I kept my 2016 whenIgottheRanger, but only so muchgarage space.
Our secretary where I worked had a 90-ish red t-bird. She was a huge Elliott fan, bought it at Bill's dealership in GA, and he signed the trunk next to the dealer sticker.
Don't live far from Pocono, and only went once, maybe over 40 yrs ago. This might be the year, tho they cut back to once a year?‍?
There's a Bill Elliott tribute T bird running around here. The paint scheme is pretty accurate.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There's a Bill Elliott tribute T bird running around here. The paint scheme is pretty accurate.
Hi Langley,

At Ford Truck Engineering...we called them Thunder Chickens.. or Chickens for short...

Best,
Phil

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Hi Langley,

At Ford Truck Engineering...we called them Thunder Chickens.. or Chickens for short...

Best,
Phil
My old boss had one, during the CB radio craze, his handle was Noisy Feathers!

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I've been a NASCAR fan for quite a while. A friend and I attended two races at Riverside Raceway in 81 and 82 (I think) right after I got my car license while in high school. If I remember correctly, that was when there were a few teams experimenting with V-6 engines. You could definitely hear the difference when they drove by. Bill Elliott was my favorite back then, followed by Davey Allison. I still remember where I was when I heard that he had died from a helicopter crash.

I paid less attention in the early 2000s when NASCAR started handing out fines for fighting, swearing, and any other action they deemed as politically incorrect or not fit for rated G viewing. Ask Tony Stewart how many times he was fined then. It got boring. The personalities help to make the sport. However, I picked it back up around 2012 for some reason and have been watching it ever since. I think NASCAR has been getting better at letting the drivers express their emotions.

A good example is cry baby Kyle Busch :p. I like to watch his interviews because he is always crying about something or has a smartass comment to make. He is fun to root against, but a hell of a driver regardless. I think he has more rivalries than any other driver. It's the rivalries that make the sport fun.

I never cared for Dale Earnhardt (most likely because he drove for Chevrolet and won championships ?) and had no love for Dale JR. However, since Dale JR's retirement, I've watched many of his Dale JR. Download shows and have gained a new respect for both him and his dad. I think he is a great ambassador for the sport.

When I was a kid I loved the super speedways. However, they have become more boring since drafting is so important and all they do is play follow-the- leader. That is why rookies and other low winning drivers do well there. The last 10 - 15 laps is where the action is at.

I now love watching the short track and road course races. Lot's of action, passing, and flared tempers.

I'm torn about how I feel regarding the new cars. I understand the need to reduce costs and try to create more parity so that big money teams don't dominate all the time. However, sequential transmissions? Really? This is NASCAR, not Exotic Car. I do like the composite bodies though. It was frustrating to see a car barely kiss the wall or bump another car and then go out with a cut tire.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Not a rabid fan, but followed NASCAR since I was a kid. Gotta love the Mustangs, wish I kept my 2016 whenIgottheRanger, but only so muchgarage space.
Our secretary where I worked had a 90-ish red t-bird. She was a huge Elliott fan, bought it at Bill's dealership in GA, and he signed the trunk next to the dealer sticker.
Don't live far from Pocono, and only went once, maybe over 40 yrs ago. This might be the year, tho they cut back to once a year?‍?
I forgot Pocono! Been there and saw the world's longest row of 'johns'
Some of my garage art.
20220221_211942.jpg

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I'm no where near the fan I was in the 80's an 90's when the T bird on the track at least looked like the one on the showroom floor. Seems the drivers had bigger than life personalities then too, not the smooth talking clean shaven corporate pitchmen they have now. I know the sponsor dollars drive the teams. I don't think drivers are smoking during the caution laps now like they did back in the day.

I was hoping the new car would cars to break the pack an not drop to the rear or have to rely on being pushed to victory. I was also hoping the larger brakes the 18" wheels allow would help with accident avoidance.
I prefer the early eras too though I didn't have anyone in my crowd during that time that was a fan so it was mostly just my wife and I that would go. Then started dragging my daughters to a couple races like Michigan or the truck races when they were in Mansfield, OH for a few years.
Now my sisters and their husbands are fans and along with a couple other friends, we usually have 6-8 people going, rent a house and make a long weekend of it.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've been a NASCAR fan for quite a while. A friend and I attended two races at Riverside Raceway in 81 and 82 (I think) right after I got my car license while in high school. If I remember correctly, that was when there were a few teams experimenting with V-6 engines. You could definitely hear the difference when they drove by. Bill Elliott was my favorite back then, followed by Davey Allison. I still remember where I was when I heard that he had died from a helicopter crash.

I paid less attention in the early 2000s when NASCAR started handing out fines for fighting, swearing, and any other action they deemed as politically incorrect or not fit for rated G viewing. Ask Tony Stewart how many times he was fined then. It got boring. The personalities help to make the sport. However, I picked it back up around 2012 for some reason and have been watching it ever since. I think NASCAR has been getting better at letting the drivers express their emotions.

A good example is cry baby Kyle Busch :p. I like to watch his interviews because he is always crying about something or has a smartass comment to make. He is fun to root against, but a hell of a driver regardless. I think he has more rivalries than any other driver. It's the rivalries that make the sport fun.

I never cared for Dale Earnhardt (most likely because he drove for Chevrolet and won championships ?) and had no love for Dale JR. However, since Dale JR's retirement, I've watched many of his Dale JR. Download shows and have gained a new respect for both him and his dad. I think he is a great ambassador for the sport.

When I was a kid I loved the super speedways. However, they have become more boring since drafting is so important and all they do is play follow-the- leader. That is why rookies and other low winning drivers do well there. The last 10 - 15 laps is where the action is at.

I now love watching the short track and road course races. Lot's of action, passing, and flared tempers.

I'm torn about how I feel regarding the new cars. I understand the need to reduce costs and try to create more parity so that big money teams don't dominate all the time. However, sequential transmissions? Really? This is NASCAR, not Exotic Car. I do like the composite bodies though. It was frustrating to see a car barely kiss the wall or bump another car and then go out with a cut tire.
You and I see things the same way. Was a fan of Awesome Bill and Davey and agree on Earnhardt and Jr. His podcasts are great and also gained respect for him and his father. The off-track stories and things Sr. did show his true character. Jr. is carrying on the tradition of telling stories like the characters back in the day did. Bringing personality back into the sport. His interview with Kevin Harvick was pretty damn good. If I have a favorite driver it would be Harvick but didn't care for him much in the 29. Funny what a team change can do.
Short track is my favorite. 1.5's can be boring and superspeedways not the same as I watched growing up. Rubin' is racin' but wrecking isn't.
Watkins Glen was the first race I attended and had courtesy tent passes from a guy I played softball with. We setup in one of the corners and drank and ate all race. Not able to see a whole lot at road courses though and prefer to watch those on TV.
Definitely need more personality in the sport and less plain vanilla.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Generally I prefer racing with both left and right turns. I did see a truck series race live in Vegas about '99. It was a great show live.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
3 races into the season and 3 different winners on 3 different tracks.
I haven't watched a whole race since Daytona but saw enough while doing other things. Just some observations,
nice to see some of the lesser teams running in the top 10.
Tires appear to be an issue or maybe it's just the drivers not adjusting to the changes yet but lots of single car spins and flats. Unfortunately, the single car spins are sometimes collecting others in wrong place at the wrong time.
Still need to be able to get the cars drivable to the pits with flats but was better than the last 2 weeks.
Nice to see that a little fender to fender racing doesn't cut a tire as easily as before.
Phoenix up next.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I have been a long time NASCAR fan. Started with the days of Neil Bonnett, King Richard, Cale Yarborough, etc. Loved the racing until early 2000's when they tried their damndest to make all the cars the same. But, just got tickets for Talladega in a couple of weeks.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Huge fan of Ricky Bobby and Cal Naughton Jr.
Shake and Bake Baby!
1649207482242.jpeg

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
7 races and 7 winners so far and some new people running in the top 10. Hopefully the variety continues as I don't like seeing any one driver or team dominate. Unless it's my guy/team. ;)
I think they still have a few bugs to work out, especially the teams losing wheels but so far its been pretty good.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
7 races and 7 winners so far and some new people running in the top 10. Hopefully the variety continues as I don't like seeing any one driver or team dominate. Unless it's my guy/team. ;)
I think they still have a few bugs to work out, especially the teams losing wheels but so far its been pretty good.
I don't mind different winners except those that are driving toyota. JGR drivers are the biggest whiners

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Those two and Truex are the worst
Sponsored