My Leveling Kit Nightmare

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
So, I have done every bit of work on my cars for 20 years. I've never met a repair I couldn't do, including engine seals, axle replacements, on and on. This has covered mostly BMWs, but lately a Jeep and a Mercedes.

So - I have cried uncle on this coilover install, and will call a tow truck tomorrow. There is a place down the street that installs lift kits, and I will have it taken there to repair the axle and install the lift.

Hopefully, there's something here that will help someone to avoid this.

So, it started innocently enough. Bought an Eibach Stage 2 coilover kit. Easy enough. I thought I'd have a hard time loosening the axle nuts, but I popped out the covers, and did those with all 4 on the ground. They were easier than the lugs. I use the handle from my Hijack lift as a torque bar, so about anything's easy with a 5 foot pipe and my weight leaning on it.

Took the wheel off, and ran into the ball joints that require a hex and open box wrench to remove. Somehow missed that in all the vids and instructions. Had to run to Lowe's, which is an hour round trip, to get an open offset 18mm box wrech. I had a T40 bit already, so that worked. So, took everything off per instructions - all good.

I took the axle nut off, and backed out the axle. Feeling good.

Somehow, in the process of taking out the old coil, I overextended the inner boot. Well, rats. However, I've replaced axles before on a BMW X5, I can surely handle this.

I took off the brake caliper and the rotor to lighten that all up and be able to work with it. I took the axle out of the hub, so that I could better line up and reseat the inner axle cv.

Fat chance. I spent 4 hours yesterday, and skipped church this morning (angry wife) to spend 2 more hours this morning on it. No joy.

I am going out of town tomorrow for work for 3 days, and have lots to do today to get ready, starting with taking the wife out to dinner since i spent all day on this yesterday, and the first few hours today, and got nowhere.

Read lots on here of folks getting that thing aligned, and popping it in. I have no idea how.

So, I have always prided myself on the fact that I can and have fix anything. Well, not anymore. This was a big whiff, that's gonna some time to get over.

In the big scheme of things, this is actually a pretty easy job, and would have been had the cv not popped out. That ruined it.

The moral of this story is do not, under any circumstances, overextend that cv.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
FWIW, I do think that removing the brake caliper and rotor up front might have helped some. I think the issue is the bolts on the stock coilovers are so long, you have to push that lower arm waaaayyyyy down to get that out.

I also lifted both sides, in case that matters.

I also want to say thanks to @Bob902 and @DukeCanBuildit for helping out yesterday.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I still don’t understand why many take that approach. It’s far easier to mark the lower control arm mount adjustment points and then crack both sides and drop the lower control arm from the frame mount. You’re going to need an alignment anyways after doing the shock swap over. This negates the CV joint separation doing it this way. Sorry for the pain but you could try taking the boot clamps off so you can see the alignment and then a sod hammer tap should get it reseated. Then you just need new compression clamps and you’re good to go.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
FWIW, I do think that removing the brake caliper and rotor up front might have helped some. I think the issue is the bolts on the stock coilovers are so long, you have to push that lower arm waaaayyyyy down to get that out.

I also lifted both sides, in case that matters.

I also want to say thanks to @Bob902 and @DukeCanBuildit for helping out yesterday.
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you get it sorted out soon!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Similar.
I had the left side apart and couldn't quite get the strut out myself.
Second time took it to my bud's house since he has more tools including a spring compressor, we got closer but the Harbor Freight Chinesium spring compressor started to bend.
In the process of saving up to pay an alignment shop to do it.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Trying to find a silver lining.

The place i'm taking it to buy and sell wheels and tires. I like the stock wheels, and I was going to wait til the hankooks wear out to replace the tires. With 19k miles, there's plenty left.

Maybe I'll trade in the tires now, and bigger ones to match the lift, and eat the whole elephant in one bite.

Well, except the tune I want to do. After this mess, that's gonna wait a bit.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Similar.
I had the left side apart and couldn't quite get the strut out myself.
Second time took it to my bud's house since he has more tools including a spring compressor, we got closer but the Harbor Freight Chinesium spring compressor started to bend.
In the process of saving up to pay an alignment shop to do it.
Sorry man.

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I feel for guys. I have been tempted to try mine on my own but keep deciding not to do it. Ive had my lift stuff sitting in the garage for a year. waiting to have the extra money for a pro to do it.
It's very simple as stated above. Just push the axle all the way out of the hub and keep it up or of the way when doing the rest. Reinstall. 15-20 minutes each side. This is a shortcut that many take and it leads to a lot of headache for sure.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
It's very simple as stated above. Just push the axle all the way out of the hub and keep it up or of the way when doing the rest. Reinstall. 15-20 minutes each side. This is a shortcut that many take and it leads to a lot of headache for sure.
20 mins per side?! shops have been telling me hours and hours.
Sponsored