Leveling kit... Help?

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yeah that's the one. Mine came in a Rough Country package with their instructions. "Easy Bolt On", I guess that depends on your definition of easy lol. If you have a shop press then it'll make the job 200% easier. It's pretty straight forward and it only took me a couple of hours to complete. Just be careful if you need to hammer out the tapers not to hit the threads of the bolts directly. They appear to be aluminum and are easily damaged.
I don’t know why Rough Country specs that you should remove the lower bolts on the install of their kit. If you are using their kit, just jack up the truck and take a good paint pin and mark all four cams on the lower control arm bolts (I make 3, make lines on cams and body for reference) then remove the tie rod, remove the 2 lower strut nuts, loosen the 3 upper strut nuts, then remove the lower control arm bolts (I place a small jack under it), lower the control arm and then remove the upper 3 nuts from the strut and slide it down and out.
Install the spacer, slip it back in and align the lower strut bolts (worst part) use a bit of downward pressure to create space and the top will slip in. Put the top nuts on, then the bottom, but don’t tighten.
Use the small jack to lift the control arm back into place and have a little fight realigning the holes (put the correct bolt/cam combo on the proper sides and align your marks on the lowers arm and tighten, then tighten the strut into place, reinstall the tie-rod (use new nuts here) and move on to the other side. If your marks are good and you line them back up, you won’t be terribly out of alignment, but still go get one, because it’s necessary after taking the front end apart.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2017 Titan 2008 Ford Focus 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
but I admit I felt like a bomb tech ever time I twisted the compression spring, just knowing at any moment,,,
Hahaha that’s the beautify of HF. You get to feel that adrenaline rush every time you use it!

By the way your truck looks awesome! When I was doing my lift I contemplated going your route but I feel like it would actually be more of a struggle to do.

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hahaha that’s the beautify of HF. You get to feel that adrenaline rush every time you use it!

By the way your truck looks awesome! When I was doing my lift I contemplated going your route but I feel like it would actually be more of a struggle to do.
It was a struggle swapping the top on the strut, but the removal and install were super easy. Well, the second one was super easy, the first one involved learning the process and practicing my patience mantra,,,,my patience mantra is a string of 4 letter words, BTW

EK6108

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
LEO
Just an update, I was able to finish the install. I purchased a shop press. Presto! Use the right tools and life is easy lol. Now I drastically need an alignment. Got some unsightly positive camber lol.
Did you have to turn the struts around. With the kit on the factory holes do not line up unless you turn the struts 180°
Sponsored