Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Another update:

Airbag light came on this time with the series of codes. I got ZERO power from the gas pedal when this happened. Called Ford immediately and said I’m bringing this in today because I can’t drive it and I need a rental car. Service obliged and told me to bring it it.
Thankfully, the code is active and I’m waiting for a service tech to go with me on a test drive. I’ll update everyone on the findings.

If I get another response like “we couldn’t find an issue”, I’m going to have a discussion with the GM about a buy back or something of the sort. It has gotten to the point where I have no confidence in the reliability of the vehicle to get me from A to B.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Ended up not going on a test drive. They had the truck hooked up to the scanner and were troubleshooting the sensor issue. Service advisor said if I wanted to wait around till they were done I could.

I had already been there for almost an hour so I had to leave. He said he would call me if they couldn’t feel the clunk (other problem im now experiencing) and I could come back and show them.

Looks like another 4 days in a shitty rental

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ended up not going on a test drive. They had the truck hooked up to the scanner and were troubleshooting the sensor issue. Service advisor said if I wanted to wait around till they were done I could.

I had already been there for almost an hour so I had to leave. He said he would call me if they couldn’t feel the clunk (other problem im now experiencing) and I could come back and show them.

Looks like another 4 days in a shitty rental
The clunk is most likely with the transmission while it is still in its learning period wich take a fer thound miles unfortunately. The 10R80 is a whole different animal of its own. For the rest I'm very curious to say the least

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The clunk is most likely with the transmission while it is still in its learning period wich take a fer thound miles unfortunately. The 10R80 is a whole different animal of its own. For the rest I'm very curious to say the least
I would normally agree but the truck has 13.5k miles and is a 2019. Learning period should be way past. The 10R80 is for sure quirky. This feels like a suspension or driveshaft slip joint issue.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I would normally agree but the truck has 13.5k miles and is a 2019. Learning period should be way past. The 10R80 is for sure quirky. This feels like a suspension or driveshaft slip joint issue.
I wouldn't be suprised if the transmission was somehow put back into learn mode

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
So yesterday it was raining and dew point was pretty high. Got the fault code of
  • Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
  • check tire pressure

Now I was on the spare so had that one covered

The pre-collision warning was the camera getting fogged over. Ran defrost and went away in minutes.
Not saying any of these things are your issues but it does show you that these things are pretty finicky when they want to be.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I wouldn't be suprised if the transmission was somehow put back into learn mode
I will ask when the service advisor calls tonight. I was told its going to the transmission service department when they get the sensor issue sorted. Appreciate the insight!

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Finally got word back from the dealer last night. They are saying it is a faulty throttle body assembly/throttle body actuator. They have ordered the assembly and it should arrive in a few days.

They are saying that they think the faulty throttle body might also contribute to the clunk I am feeling with starting and stopping; I am not quite convinced there, but we will see. I will definitely test drive with them before I pick the vehicle up and sign the paperwork.

Regardless, I am very happy they found something in reference to all of the powertrain/abs/hill start assist codes that are being thrown and they are replacing parts. Finally some progress!

Last edited:
OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Got the truck back this morning after they had it for a week. They replaced the throttle body assembly and cleared the transmission shift pattern. Truck threw all of the same codes 5 miles down the road on my way to work. I turned right back around and dropped it off again.

I am so incredibly frustrated at this point. I am supposed to be getting a call from the service manager and sales manager to talk options moving forward. If I don't hear from them by 4-5pm, I will be driving in to have an in person discussion about an action plan.

If I pick up the truck again and it is not fixed, I will be discussing a full buyback from them. That will be the 4th time the truck has visited the dealer with the same unresolved issue, which means it qualifies for CA Lemon Law.

I counted today and the truck has thrown 50 codes in my 5 weeks of ownership. Purchased CPO with 12.3k miles on May 15th. Truck currently has 13.9k miles.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
This is a shitty situation for sure.

I can't fault you for pursuing a buyback.

Does the lemon law in California apply to used vehicles? I know here in Colorado it does, but some states it does not.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
This is a shitty situation for sure.

I can't fault you for pursuing a buyback.

Does the lemon law in California apply to used vehicles? I know here in Colorado it does, but some states it does not.
Yeah, I wouldn't want anyone to experience this. A gut punch for sure. Thankfully, I have had 0 out of pocket costs to date, so I am grateful for that.

From what I have read and understand, a vehicle is protected under lemon law in CA if it is sold by a retailer under manufacturers new car warranty OR dealer extended warranty. Since my truck still falls under both, I think I should be in the clear. My truck would be covered through 2021 under Ford's original new vehicle warranty at the time of the original sale.

Honestly, I would love to keep the truck. The service manager called me back and said they are now looking at the gas pedal assembly. I really hope I get it back and its fixed, I just have no confidence at this point and need a reliable truck.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
this sounds like their troubleshooting plan....

giphy2.gif
Seriously lol. I do troubleshooting as part of my job sometimes on electrical assemblies. Their troubleshooting train of thought had me scratching my head.

RP is right.

Maybe as a last resort you could try another dealership?
This is actually a really solid idea, thank you. I’ll drop it to the competing dealer if they can’t fix it again. I had previously spoken to their service department when I first had the issue and they sounded much more knowledgeable.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Seriously lol. I do troubleshooting as part of my job sometimes on electrical assemblies. Their troubleshooting train of thought had me scratching my head.

This is actually a really solid idea, thank you. I’ll drop it to the competing dealer if they can’t fix it again. I had previously spoken to their service department when I first had the issue and they sounded much more knowledgeable.
It's worth a shot. If no results there I'd definitely look at a buyback.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
sounds like a loose connector, those smarter than me will be along in a few to tell you where to start checking, i believe this problem has been discussed before. welcome to wack job world! lol
Check the connector in front of the battery and below left front headlight. I know it’s hell to get to. It’s a main harness connector. We have had some here that it wasn’t seated all the way and acted the same too.
As intermittent as your problem seems to be, I would still lean towards a wiring, connector problem. I certainly wish you good luck on this issue. Please keep us informed.
Sponsored