Cheat Codes

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Before I get into a build thread on my 2021 Tremor figured I'd ask this question and see if anyone else has come across this.

I was detailing the interior the other day and ended up with a series of button presses, dial movements around the 4x4 selector switch when the truck suddenly started without a key in the ignition. I've yet to be able to reproduce the exact sequence but I do occasionally keep trying to figure it out as time permits. Is it possible there is some sort of manufacturing process that allows a vehicle to be started without a key?

This will drive me nuts until I figure out the sequence.

Regards,
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Well that’s interesting. Have you set your truck up on the FordPass app? if not, you need to make sure no salesman or whatever ever logged into your truck on his phone or anything similar.

The very first procedure for working on any new Ford is unplugging the battery these days because these trucks can be started from anywhere in the world via the app.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Well that’s interesting. Have you set your truck up on the FordPass app? if not, you need to make sure no salesman or whatever ever logged into your truck on his phone or anything similar.

The very first procedure for working on any new Ford is unplugging the battery these days because these trucks can be started from anywhere in the world via the app.
According to my dealer service department, the truck cannot be remotely started with the hood open.

2000rpm

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2019 Ford Flex
Before I get into a build thread on my 2021 Tremor figured I'd ask this question and see if anyone else has come across this.

I was detailing the interior the other day and ended up with a series of button presses, dial movements around the 4x4 selector switch when the truck suddenly started without a key in the ignition. I've yet to be able to reproduce the exact sequence but I do occasionally keep trying to figure it out as time permits. Is it possible there is some sort of manufacturing process that allows a vehicle to be started without a key?

This will drive me nuts until I figure out the sequence.

Regards,
More than likely it wasn't the button presses, but rather you did a remote start with the FOB in your pocket. I've accidentally buttons on the FOB while climbing in/around the truck.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor

Yes I did setup the Fordpass app ad the dealer went through resetting the vehicle. The timing was exact for when I was cleaning so it would have been an odd coincidence.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
The fob was in the house at the time. I had to go back inside from the garage to get the key to turn the ignition on then off to stop the vehicle.

It made me wonder afterwards if the manufacturer coded a process into the car for testing without a key.

Years ago I worked on a key tracking product for a large dealership that was losing money each year on lost keys and work hours tracking down keys. So it wouldn't surprise me that there is a sequence that can be performed to start a vehicle without a key.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
According to my dealer service department, the truck cannot be remotely started with the hood open.
This got me curious so I tested it out and I can confirm this is true. Neither the FOB remote start nor FordPass remote start will work if the hood is open. When I tried in FordPass it said "Your Vehicle cannot be remote started because either the hood or door is open".

When you try it just honks at you.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
This got me curious so I tested it out and I can confirm this is true. Neither the FOB remote start nor FordPass remote start will work if the hood is open. When I tried in FordPass it said "Your Vehicle cannot be remote started because either the hood or door is open".

When you try it just honks at you.
I was thinking about the tech in the service bay when I asked. Even a honk could be quite a shock
Sponsored