Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Spooky, aka "the angel of death"
“Azrael” angel of death. I actually flew on that airplane in Laos and Cambodia. It’s on display at Wright Patterson, we had our last reunion there. Ft. Walton reunion this year in October.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
“Azrael” angel of death. I actually flew on that airplane in Laos and Cambodia. It’s on display at Wright Patterson, we had our last reunion there. Ft. Walton reunion this year in October.
Fort Walton. That's where I am from and where my family still lives. During summer evenings on my Dad's porch you can often times hear the sound of freedom...C130s from Hurlburt doing training. Depending on the task, you'll hear the hum of the gatling or the boom(s) of the cannon or howitzer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Done any training at Hurlburt? Grew up in FWB. On summer evenings on my parents porch one can hear the sounds of freedom...Firing off it's 40mm, 105mm cannons or 25mm Gatling gun depending on training mission.

Fort Walton. That's where I am from and where my family still lives. During summer evenings on my Dad's porch you can often times hear the sound of freedom...C130s from Hurlburt doing training. Depending on the task, you'll hear the hum of the gatling or the boom(s) of the cannon or howitzer.
The 16th SOS is based there (so is my son, he is a PJ) I trained at Lockbourne Ohio, Andrews Maryland, Clark Phillipines, then straight to combat. I live close to Elgin and had one reunion there already. Roger on the guns , our saying was “You can run but you will only die tired”
Regards

Last edited:

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Anyone keep the muffler and do a resonator delete yet?

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Anyone keep the muffler and do a resonator delete yet?
They have some resonator delete 2.3 EcoBoost mustangs on YouTube. Sound clips.

Last edited:

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase

Small world,kinda. Army,68-72, RVN 70-71-72.Air Cavalry Scout. And my last ship,is on display at the US Army Aviation Museum at Ft.Rucker Al. The pic was taken after it was hauled back to our base.We were forced down in Laos in early dec 71. They brought up another ship with the recovery crew.I threw my stuff in the replacement ship and off we went,back out.As you see it in the pic,it still has the sling attached,and shortly after that she was sling loaded down to DaNang and shipped back to the world for a complete rebuild. For me,that makes #2,lol.

ba-ch-zal-bran-2.jpg

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Small world,kinda. Army,68-72, RVN 70-71-72.Air Cavalry Scout. And my last ship,is on display at the US Army Aviation Museum at Ft.Rucker Al. The pic was taken after it was hauled back to our base.We were forced down in Laos in early dec 71. They brought up another ship with the recovery crew.I threw my stuff in the replacement ship and off we went,back out.As you see it in the pic,it still has the sling attached,and shortly after that she was sling loaded down to DaNang and shipped back to the world for a complete rebuild. For me,that makes #2,lol.

ba-ch-zal-bran-2.jpg
What base is this? Are those Robinson’s? Cool Pic and Welcome Home ! I was on the Ho Chi Minh trail in Laos killing trucks out of the North in 1971. We also worked with Air Cav (Hueys) doing extractions.
Regards

Last edited:

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Geeze dude, robinsons weren't even invented back then,lol. This is an OH-6A,(Hughs 500 A model). The pic was taken at Camp Evans,just south of Quang Tri,in dec of 71. Where we were shot down was part of the Ho Chi Minh trail,(tri-border AO). Out near Co Roc mountain,following what was QL 9. That road started out on the coast,and went deep into Laos,but I don't know how far. It was illegal for us to be there at the time,and the gooks never took scouts as prisoners.We all had a bounty on our heads. True story.

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Geeze dude, robinsons weren't even invented back then,lol. This is an OH-6A,(Hughs 500 A model). The pic was taken at Camp Evans,just south of Quang Tri,in dec of 71. Where we were shot down was part of the Ho Chi Minh trail,(tri-border AO). Out near Co Roc mountain,following what was QL 9. That road started out on the coast,and went deep into Laos,but I don't know how far. It was illegal for us to be there at the time,and the gooks never took scouts as prisoners.We all had a bounty on our heads. True story.
Yeah, I had no experience with recips , when I got out , I joined the Army National Guard and worked on Hueys. The Trail crossed the DMZ and down (and up) the trail as high as Red China,and low into Cambodia and into the Delta. We got hit on Mother’s Day, May 9th 1971 by a radar controlled quad 57 mm at Tchepone Laos through the tail and left elevator , fortunately
We landed it.
We are lucky to be here!
Regards

5EDAD3CE-7E57-4E97-9A51-3E847C43AB7A.jpeg

2E642D5B-84A2-4577-B9D5-DCF3F59642CA.jpeg

42060473-35A1-46B1-8FE5-7ADA7804588C.jpeg

Last edited:

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I had no experience with recipes, when I got out , I joined the Army National Guard and worked on Hueys. The Trail crossed the DMZ and down (and up) the trail as high as Red China,and low into Cambodia and into the Delta. We got hit on Mother’s Day, May 9th 1971 by a radar controlled quad 57 mm at Tchepone Laos through the tail and left elevator , fortunately
We landed it.
We are lucky to be here!
Regards

Both types of air cavalry scout ships used in the latter part of the war,(67 on) were turbine powered. An Allison T63A5A @317shp,derated down to 254.2 hp to the main rotor transmission,very noisy,and I still hear it 24/7. My whole second tour I worked the Z from the coast to the tri-border,(North Vietnam/south Vietnam/Laos). My first tour I was in the Cambodian Invasion from start to finish. This in II Corps,the central highlands,and we based out of Du Co. Right on the Cambodian border. Du Co used to be a SF outpost. Around june or july of 71,just west of Gio Linh one of our slicks,(11 people on board) was shot out of the air by a shoulder fired Strella 7,heat seeker. And the farther west we went,the bigger AA weapons was used against us.As you can see,my ship is just a bit larger than a vw bug lol.

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Both types of air cavalry scout ships used in the latter part of the war,(67 on) were turbine powered. An Allison T63A5A @317shp,derated down to 254.2 hp to the main rotor transmission,very noisy,and I still hear it 24/7. My whole second tour I worked the Z from the coast to the tri-border,(North Vietnam/south Vietnam/Laos). My first tour I was in the Cambodian Invasion from start to finish. This in II Corps,the central highlands,and we based out of Du Co. Right on the Cambodian border. Du Co used to be a SF outpost. Around june or july of 71,just west of Gio Linh one of our slicks,(11 people on board) was shot out of the air by a shoulder fired Strella 7,heat seeker. And the farther west we went,the bigger AA weapons was used against us.As you can see,my ship is just a bit larger than a vw bug lol.
Yes I saw those out of Cam Ranh with a 60 gunner bouncing in the doorway, I didn’t know what kind of choppers they were, our scouts (FAC Air Force) were OV-10, and O1 Birdog aircraft, they would put smoke rockets on the target and then give us the offset on the AC-130.

Last edited:

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I saw those out of Cam Ranh with a 60 gunner bouncing in the doorway, I didn’t know what kind of choppers they were, our scouts (FAC Air Force) were OV-10, and O1 Bird Dog aircraft, they would put smoke rockets on the target and then give us the offset on the AC-130.

There was a Bronco,(OV-10) outfit based out of Quang Tri when I first got back in country.After they stood down,we had a FAC assigned to us and he flew the O-1 Bird dog.I was one of the bouncing in the doorway with a 60.I was a crewchief/gunner/oscar.In this pic,we were still up at QT.And you can see,not much room for me to work,lol

ba-ph-bran-loh.jpg

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There was a Bronco,(OV-10) outfit based out of Quang Tri when I first got back in country.After they stood down,we had a FAC assigned to us and he flew the O-1 Bird dog.I was one of the bouncing in the doorway with a 60.I was a crewchief/gunner/oscar.In this pic,we were still up at QT.And you can see,not much room for me to work,lol

ba-ph-bran-loh.jpg
Cool pic !
Regards
Sponsored