OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I looked up what else this company offers and they make a carrier model called: "Destination E" for ebikes. My Gazelle ebike is 51lbs+ . $699.99 but it has an extendable ramp, you can tilt the rack downward to open the tailgate. Definitely will look into this brand. ✌

Destination E $699.99
Hope this works out for you!
Sponsored

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I looked up what else this company offers and they make a carrier model called: "Destination E" for ebikes. My Gazelle ebike is 51lbs+ . $699.99 but it has an extendable ramp, you can tilt the rack downward to open the tailgate. Definitely will look into this brand. ✌

Destination E $699.99
So one thing to consider with a rack like that is if you have a more unique frame shape, that style of top hold down might not work well. I would look at the 1-Up rack i linked previously, its rated for bikes up to like 60 or 70 lbs so plenty for any e-bike, and has arms that hold the wheels ONLY meaning any style of bike will fit. And it can be expanded to hold additional bikes. They also offer a ramp accessory if you don't feel like lugging up a big ebike

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
1711073804249-2v.png

1711073852143-jk.png

1711073824986-bl.png

Just barely fits angled to the passenger side as well, but I have a small frame (5ft bed). XL Frame would definitely need to be angled across the bed like shown here .

https://www.railias.com/collections/all-products/products/truck-system
That is a cool product I've never seen before. But I don't like straps wrapping around the tailgate to start with. And $300 for a fork mount? Yowch! I use the ol fork mounts attached to a 2x6 method.

Mine wedges and hooks into place so you can't get the board out unless the tailgate is down. And I've angled the fork mounts such that thru axles cannot be removed with the tailgate up. So even in stealth mode, the usual grab-and-go type thief will be stymied. I'll add extra locks when I feel it beneficial to do so, but those are more for the outward appearance of being "locked" even though the tailgate lock covers it. Belt-and-suspenders.

davjr96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
That is a cool product I've never seen before. But I don't like straps wrapping around the tailgate to start with. And $300 for a fork mount? Yowch! I use the ol fork mounts attached to a 2x6 method.
Yeah, I did not pay full price and only heard of it because they had a booth at a local race. I do like it though, the straps have more padding than normal MTB tailgate pads and I have not noticed any scratching.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Yeah, I did not pay full price and only heard of it because they had a booth at a local race. I do like it though, the straps have more padding than normal MTB tailgate pads and I have not noticed any scratching.
The scratching is only one reason I'm not a fan of the straps.

Straps can also stretch when wet (depending on what they're made of - some rack companies still use straps that stretch when wet - f'ing idiots). Straps suffer UV damage and get brittle. Straps can be sliced with a pocketknife.

I'm fine with straps for support. But straps for primary attachment? No thanks.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Destination E $699.99
I would recommend that you contact a live person with the details about your ebike at both Hollywood, 1up and even a 3rd company before you make a purchase for that kind of money. You can sense the culture and customer service level doing that. Also, by checking the reviews which can be somewhat subjective, you can usually get a feel for any serious or major problems. I have been able to save money but also get safe, quality products by using that process which takes some extra time. But I'm always willing to pay more for good quality and needed features if necessary. We sometimes have a tendency to get too brand loyal and can miss some good opportunities. Hope this helps and that you find a great carrier that will work for you!

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’d measure the length of the bike with the tire removed. My Trek is a large, with 29’s. It does not fit straight into the bed. You may have to go with the hitch mounted carrier. They can be spendy for a quality one, but they outperform the “budget friendly” options in almost every way.

Of course, I don’t trust somebody wouldn’t hit the carrier, possibly with the bikes on it. I also don’t trust that I won’t back it into something.

Here is my current setup. Works well with the roll up tonneau cover.

IMG_7212.jpeg
I bought a 29" Trek Marlin hardtail with 2.4 tires last summer and really like it so far! What model is yours and how is it working out for you?

Against Ranger (1) Rotated right side up .jpg

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I have a 29" Trek Marlin hardtail with 2.4 tires and really like it so far! What model is yours and how is it working out for you?

Against Ranger (1) Rotated right side up .jpg
nice bike! The 29” makes a big difference. I upgraded from a Gary Fisher full rigid that I purchased in 2000. The new bike is a X-caliber 8. It was 1 year old when I purchased it used. It took me a season to get the bike sorted. The drivetrain was a bear to get straight. Threw on new pedals, brake pads, tubes and tires. It gave me a reason to buy some bike tools though.

I forgot to add… This bike is great for my wants. I usually stick to pretty easy trails and don’t intend to get the tires off the ground. The 29’s roll over rocks and stumps and the air shock softens the ride nicely. The frame is a large and that fits my overall height and riding position well. For 6’ tall, I’m a bit longer in the torso and shorter in the legs. I can stand flat footed, with that top tube getting pretty up close and personal.

Last edited:

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I use a fork mount in the bed of my Ranger. Don't have a cap, but I do have a bed rack and my bike fits fine. It's a 29er Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead, so it's long for a medium, but I dunno how it'd compare to your XL. I angle it a bit to fit and have a bit more room for additional angling if necessary. I can also fit my wife's bike (which is smaller) in addition.

53181451716_00d193bc27.jpg

Transporting this way was important to me so I could also haul bikes while towing my camper.
Is that the Gazelle gazebo? If so, which one?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
nice bike! The 29” makes a big difference. I upgraded from a Gary Fisher full rigid that I purchased in 2000. The new bike is a X-caliber 8. It was 1 year old when I purchased it used. It took me a season to get the bike sorted. The drivetrain was a bear to get straight. Threw on new pedals, brake pads, tubes and tires. It gave me a reason to buy some bike tools though.
Thank you! The Trek was a replacement for my old inherited 2011 Dawes (UK) 1500 26" which was stolen...quality bike but you're right the 29" is a great improvement. I too am always looking for excuses to burn some money on new biking gear and clothes and you're helping my cause... :LOL:

Mountain Bike with original seat.jpg

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I forgot to add… This bike is great for my wants. I usually stick to pretty easy trails and don’t intend to get the tires off the ground. The 29’s roll over rocks and stumps and the air shock softens the ride nicely. The frame is a large and that fits my overall height and riding position well. For 6’ tall, I’m a bit longer in the torso and shorter in the legs. I can stand flat footed, with that top tube getting pretty up close and personal.
Sounds like you have the exact right setup for your needs. Looks like you have 2 bikes in your truck? I have mine just about where I want it and comfortable with it. I ride at about the same level as you and not into extreme or competitive biking but for exersize and fun. Have just under 75hrs on the Trek. I starting biking again as an adult in the summer of 22 after inheriting my nephew's Dawes bike (shown in my last message) after he passed away in a drowning accident.

Desert riding this year...

1711136506916-7g.jpg

1711136592365-9q.jpg

Long dry trails jpeg.jpg

Watch our for rocks & cactus jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Is that the Gazelle gazebo? If so, which one?
It's the Gazelle G6. The first time I took it on a trip, I jammed it into the bed of the truck underneath the bikes at an angle and it was a crappy transport method. I had wanted a more durable and water protective carry bag for putting it on the roof. I reached out to Gazelle and they told me that the bag it came with was fine to strap onto a roof rack. That trip was my first time transporting it that way.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
It's the Gazelle G6. The first time I took it on a trip, I jammed it into the bed of the truck underneath the bikes at an angle and it was a crappy transport method. I had wanted a more durable and water protective carry bag for putting it on the roof. I reached out to Gazelle and they told me that the bag it came with was fine to strap onto a roof rack. That trip was my first time transporting it that way.
Thanks! I wondered how the bag was. I picked up a T4 Overland and a T4Plus Overland last year. This year we knew we wanted a better solution for setting up over the picnic table. I just received the G6 Cool Top and it is longer than the other two 😳. One more thing to throw on the rack.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Thanks! I wondered how the bag was. I picked up a T4 Overland and a T4Plus Overland last year. This year we knew we wanted a better solution for setting up over the picnic table. I just received the G6 Cool Top and it is longer than the other two 😳. One more thing to throw on the rack.
It's no worse for wear after the drive from NC to New Brunswick and back.