Might move to GV AZ - anyone have input

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
We are headed to visit friends in Phoenix this coming winter and considering relocation to Green Valley - Tuscon area. Prefer to be within 30 mins of Davis Monthan AFB. I have toys and need a larger 2-3 car garage. Any suggestions for areas to look at? Currently in a 55+ age restricted community here in Seattle and we love the quiet over a kid friendly younger area - local insight or color appreciated. Don't have a realtor yet just perusing the Zillow homes for under $300K but I would rather be closer to $200's. Thanks for any input. Be nice to have property large enough to park RV also or has facilities to accomdate.

Sponsored

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We are headed to visit friends in Phoenix this coming winter and considering relocation to Green Valley - Tuscon area. Prefer to be within 30 mins of Davis Monthan AFB. I have toys and need a larger 2-3 car garage. Any suggestions for areas to look at? Currently in a 55+ age restricted community here in Seattle and we love the quiet over a kid friendly younger area - local insight or color appreciated. Don't have a realtor yet just perusing the Zillow homes for under $300K but I would rather be closer to $200's. Thanks for any input. Be nice to have property large enough to park RV also or has facilities to accomdate.

Hi Dar,

15 year resident of Green Valley. We live in Portillo Ridge. Age restricted, but house prices in Portillo Hills, Portillo Ridge are upwards of $400K to $500 with no RV parking next to the house unless in a garage as I have my RV. The Acres are not age restricted but have no CCRs like most of the +55 areas. We are about 30 minutes from Davis Monthan with either freeway or Nogales Road, the back way. Pima Air and Space museum, Sonoran Desert Museum etc are about 40 minutes to an hour. There are many nice areas in Tucson as well that might work for you. Our best friends, the Rineharts, CJ is a realtor and can assist you if you need insight. The adjacent town that abuts GV, Sahaurita also offers good opportunities and might also be of interest to you. Much acreage in Sahaurita. Northern Sahaurita town limits ends at the Indian reservation, so South Tucson cannot expand South, so limited urban sprawl.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Personal opinion/experience saying dont move to Arizona of all places. Why? For one it is way to hot!!! Two, ITS WAY TOO F#€@&%$ HOT!!!!!!!!!!! That is my suggestion.
It's not hot here now....
Nor will it be til next May/June.
Great time to be an Arizonan! ?

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We moved from Tucson to Raton, NM 2 years ago. Real estate prices are much cheaper, plenty of houses are still going pretty reasonably & it's not 105 or 110 6 months out of the year (6,500' of elevation here). We now have snow melt for water (not the calcified limestone of Tucson's ground water), plenty of recreational areas here & in Colorado, a commercial acre with lots of room & a cheaper cost of living, being on fixed incomes now.

After living for 45 years in the desert, it became too crowded, too near the southern border with the problems asociated with illegal immigration, too much crime (at least in our mid-town area) & difficult recreation for 6 months each year due to the heat. Winters are very nice, summers are brutal. Property prices are getting pretty steep for anything with a bit of land & RV parking, watch out for CC&R's if you're shopping. Just sayin' there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Pictures are of the "new" house & some nearby bison last winter. The Whittington Center is 10 minutes from our place, if you like to shoot. Bison are now run on the Vermijo Park Ranch, which is just west of Raton. Colorado & its insanity is only 6 miles away, if that's what you enjoy. We're glad to have left Tucson behind us now & can't imagine going back into the heat again to live.

House.JPG

AF-B1.jpg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Arizona has been a great state for us, but we have watched it decline drastically over the last 10 years. People flee here from other states for a good economy, good weather 9 months out of the year, no snow (Phoenix and southwards), low crime and affordable housing.

Then they get involved with schools and politics and fluck it all up. Taxes going up, schools can't function, housing getting expensive. You are welcome to come to AZ but by all means enjoy her for the way she is, or rather was. Try it on for size before you go charging up the hill to make it the next California, Washington, Oregon, Illinois, New Jersey, New York. Arizona is unique and worth preserving.

13373910_0.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The GV/Tucson area doesn't get as hot as it does here in the Phoenix area. It'll still be 100 + but you will get more rain there and the nights cool off some. Unlike here where it will still be 106 at 10:00pm. I would come in June,July or August and see what it's like. To many come outside those months and get a rude awakening come summer. Just make sure you like the heat as some "think" they can deal with it only to find out they can't and move out in a few years.

I really do like it here (yes even the heat) but as Greg said it's changing and not for the better. It's really changed a lot just in the past few years and I don't see myself staying here much more than 4 more years. Not trying to discourage you but just make sure you know what you're getting into. :)

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dar,

15 year resident of Green Valley. We live in Portillo Ridge. Age restricted, but house prices in Portillo Hills, Portillo Ridge are upwards of $400K to $500 with no RV parking next to the house unless in a garage as I have my RV. The Acres are not age restricted but have no CCRs like most of the +55 areas. We are about 30 minutes from Davis Monthan with either freeway or Nogales Road, the back way. Pima Air and Space museum, Sonoran Desert Museum etc are about 40 minutes to an hour. There are many nice areas in Tucson as well that might work for you. Our best friends, the Rineharts, CJ is a realtor and can assist you if you need insight. The adjacent town that abuts GV, Sahaurita also offers good opportunities and might also be of interest to you. Much acreage in Sahaurita. Northern Sahaurita town limits ends at the Indian reservation, so South Tucson cannot expand South, so limited urban sprawl.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for all the info Phil. That was quite a wealth of info and thanks for the Realtor contact. What is their contact number?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Personal opinion/experience saying dont move to Arizona of all places. Why? For one it is way to hot!!! Two, ITS WAY TOO F#€@&%$ HOT!!!!!!!!!!! That is my suggestion.
Yes, I am quite aware of that and undecided if I could put up with that HEAT coming from moderate weather - but very sure I don't want SNOW and searching for a less expensive quality of life. Here we only make the GOV't and realtors richer with the over pricing of homes that take away significate amounts of money from your future spending on other things.

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We moved from Tucson to Raton, NM 2 years ago. Real estate prices are much cheaper, plenty of houses are still going pretty reasonably & it's not 105 or 110 6 months out of the year (6,500' of elevation here). We now have snow melt for water (not the calcified limestone of Tucson's ground water), plenty of recreational areas here & in Colorado, a commercial acre with lots of room & a cheaper cost of living, being on fixed incomes now.

After living for 45 years in the desert, it became too crowded, too near the southern border with the problems asociated with illegal immigration, too much crime (at least in our mid-town area) & difficult recreation for 6 months each year due to the heat. Winters are very nice, summers are brutal. Property prices are getting pretty steep for anything with a bit of land & RV parking, watch out for CC&R's if you're shopping. Just sayin' there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Pictures are of the "new" house & some nearby bison last winter. The Whittington Center is 10 minutes from our place, if you like to shoot. Bison are now run on the Vermijo Park Ranch, which is just west of Raton. Colorado & its insanity is only 6 miles away, if that's what you enjoy. We're glad to have left Tucson behind us now & can't imagine going back into the heat again to live.

House.JPG

AF-B1.jpg
Nice looking house Tim. Thanks for your local insight.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yes, I am quite aware of that and undecided if I could put up with that HEAT coming from moderate weather - but very sure I don't want SNOW and searching for a less expensive quality of life. Here we only make the GOV't and realtors richer with the over pricing of homes that take away significate amounts of money from your future spending on other things.
Unfortunately you're still going to make realtor is richer no matter where you go. I'm still trying to figure out why Arizona such a booming Market when it's too freaking hot for anyone. I myself got out of Arizona last year at the end of August and went to Colorado. Hell yes it definitely smells way more in Colorado than it does in Arizona in general but I will also tell you that surprisingly enough prices in general are there in Colorado than they are in Arizona. You can have a lower tax rate overall. What you do is what you do and that's the best thing I could say on this.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Arizona has been a great state for us, but we have watched it decline drastically over the last 10 years. People flee here from other states for a good economy, good weather 9 months out of the year, no snow (Phoenix and southwards), low crime and affordable housing.

Then they get involved with schools and politics and fluck it all up. Taxes going up, schools can't function, housing getting expensive. You are welcome to come to AZ but by all means enjoy her for the way she is, or rather was. Try it on for size before you go charging up the hill to make it the next California, Washington, Oregon, Illinois, New Jersey, New York. Arizona is unique and worth preserving.
Well I've been in Colorado for 42 yrs and pretty much the same as you detail re AZ, looking to get out of the Denver area and buy something around Pagosa Springs before the prices get unrealistic there. People flock to the Denver area and pay exorbitant prices for housing, clog the highways and so on. Recall an article saying less than 10% of those who have relocated here in the past 10 yrs can afford to buy their own place and now for some totally perplexing reason that defies practical logic a ballot initiative to re-introduce the grey wolf was successful. But like I say to my hunting/fishing/backpacking/drinking friends, to my wife and kids I'm so glad I came here and enjoyed it while it was still a very very nice place.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport

House.JPG

AF-B1.jpg
New Mexico is a beautiful State. I have only driven through it on Highway 40, but always enjoyed it’s beauty, the 10 times I drove through it.

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have a good realtor recommendation for GV or Outside of Tucson or Surprize for +55 community? Thanks. :^)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Anyone have a good realtor recommendation for GV or Outside of Tucson or Surprize for +55 community? Thanks. :^)
I'll message a couple realtors I do work for that cover the Surprise area. Phil would know better in the GV area.
Sponsored