Made the jump

woodbyrd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX2 SCab
Welp... pulled the trigger and traded in my s550 Mustang for a '21 Ranger. Ended up with an oxford XLT FX2 SCab, which wasn't my ideal build, but pretty darn close, especially with current inventories. Overall really happy with what I ended up with, but holy cow was not expecting the rabbit hole that is post-purchase modding! Coming from a lifetime of driving coupe's to a truck is taking a bit of getting used to (that tip-over warning on visor is a nice reminder on the corners), but needed to upgrade to something better suited for hauling lumber and furniture... some of the lumber runs I was making in the mustang were looking like scenes from Final Destination. Wasn't particularly looking for an off-road package as I'll be 90% tarmac with maybe some access roads, but guess the FX2 is pretty good for prerunning/desert terrain so might take advantage of that at some point...

But already loving the amount of info on these forums!

Accessories/Mods so far:
- FX2 Decal removal (and mailed back to the '90's motocross team that was missing their graphics...)
- Bak X4s Revolver tonneau
- Line-X
- AVS Aeroskin II textured (the daily cleaning of the bug graveyard on the windshield got old real quick)
- Maxpider Floor mats
- Bushwacker sill/trail armor
- Ranger running boards
- Damper (yeah, yeah... I went there)
- Grille/Tailgate letters (just looks more finished with them)
- Ignition bezel (I mean, c'mon Ford, really?)
- M8 eyebolts for mid-point tie-down points (yeah, same comment)

On Deck:
- 1" spacers
- 265/70r17 tires (may delay this and get my miles out of the Hankook's as doesn't look like there's much resale market for them around me)
- mudflaps (kinda dependent on the above)
- LED's (yeah... again, really Ford? Halogen in 2021?)
- Tint
- Something with the blue emblems... dunno what yet.
- Probably gonna keep the stock wheels and call me odd, but I kinda like the rake as is so no level planned for now.

Gonna miss my touch entry and push button start... crazy the things we get used to as normal until they're gone...

3Q2.jpg

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Rear.jpg
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Looks like you've already hit all the low hanging fruit on the mod list. Now it's time pull out the credit car and spend some real money. Welcome to the madness.

OP
OP
woodbyrd

woodbyrd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX2 SCab
Looks like you've already hit all the low hanging fruit on the mod list. Now it's time pull out the credit car and spend some real money. Welcome to the madness.
Yeah, most of that was the low hanging fruit. Tonneau was a bit of an added splurge but pretty happy with the quality of it. But trying to resist the big upgrades right away as you know, I just bought a truck lol. But definitely so many ways to go.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Yeah, most of that was the low hanging fruit. Tonneau was a bit of an added splurge but pretty happy with the quality of it. But trying to resist the big upgrades right away as you know, I just bought a truck lol. But definitely so many ways to go.
The tonneau was my first thing. Gotta keep stuff in the bed dry.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I didn't much care for the FX2 suspension and tire combination. I ended up trading for a non fx2 package with the Michelin 18's. Much better ride.

Do you notice a choppy ride and a continual low level vibration in your seat and steering wheel?

OP
OP
woodbyrd

woodbyrd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX2 SCab
I didn't much care for the FX2 suspension and tire combination. I ended up trading for a non fx2 package with the Michelin 18's. Much better ride.

Do you notice a choppy ride and a continual low level vibration in your seat and steering wheel?
I got to test drive both the FX2 and non FX and actually preferred the FX2 ride. Both were a little harsh, especially compared to what I was used to in a mustang, but once I noticed the they hadn't bled the tires from 48psi and dropped that to 35, it's been super smooth. But not noticing any choppyness or vibration, although a little boaty at slow speeds (but again, based on what I'm used to and was the case in everything I test drove - taco/gmc twins/this)

Was originally just wanting an XLT Sport, but this was the only SCab build with 301a within 60 miles, and those 2 were must-haves for me. Figure I'll eventually upgrade the suspension once I learn what's good/bad/moot in a truck.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I got to test drive both the FX2 and non FX and actually preferred the FX2 ride. Both were a little harsh, especially compared to what I was used to in a mustang, but once I noticed the they hadn't bled the tires from 48psi and dropped that to 35, it's been super smooth. But not noticing any choppyness or vibration, although a little boaty at slow speeds (but again, based on what I'm used to and was the case in everything I test drove - taco/gmc twins/this)

Was originally just wanting an XLT Sport, but this was the only SCab build with 301a within 60 miles, and those 2 were must-haves for me. Figure I'll eventually upgrade the suspension once I learn what's good/bad/moot in a truck.
Yes, PSI in the tires sitting on the lot was slightly high. Does yours have the 17 inch Hankook A/T tires?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Welcome to the family and nice ride. I’d say 6 months from now when you get a better ’feel’ for it you’re probably going to go for shocks. That’s about where I am now. Got my mind pretty much made up but waitin for a sale or heavy discount before pulling the trigger.

OP
OP
woodbyrd

woodbyrd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX2 SCab
Yes, PSI in the tires sitting on the lot was slightly high. Does yours have the 17 inch Hankook A/T tires?
Yeah, it's on the 265/65r17 Hankook's now, which aren't horrible, but certainly won't miss them when I replace them.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
This is how I built my step dad's SCAB. With all the white you have to black out a few things. You can improve the stance with wider wheels/tires and level kit. I used the same 3in level kit I used on my Supercrew. These white SCREW'S look good in my opinion.

20191121_081316.jpg

20191115_153108.jpg

OP
OP
woodbyrd

woodbyrd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX2 SCab
This is how I built my step dad's SCAB. With all the white you have to black out a few things. You can improve the stance with wider wheels/tires and level kit. I used the same 3in level kit I used on my Supercrew. These white SCREW'S look good in my opinion.

20191121_081316.jpg

20191115_153108.jpg
Looks good... and yeah, you get the right mix of black on these and you get a nice stormtrooper vibe going - the white was one of my top 3 colors. Holding off on any sort of level for now until I see what happens when I load it up with wood slabs and lumber, don't want to end up angled up. But do kinda like the rake angle as is, though maybe a 1-2" in the future, just have to see. But definitely have widening the stance on the radar for both looks and handling.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Congrats.
Sponsored