Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The tank is an M4A1 (76) HVSS Sherman. It was the mainstay of US tanks through WWII and the Korean War. It replaced the stop-gap M3 Lee medium tank, and was replaced by the Patton series of tanks (M46, M47, M48, M60). Researching the M4 Sherman tank has become one of my hobbies because of the scale of the engineering that went into it over its lifespan. The M4 sherman had 5 main hull variants which each then had "large" and "small" hatch versions. These tanks were produced by so many different companies. Ford even built around 1600 M4A3s (though they never saw combat) before switching over to producing the 500 hp GAA V8 engine for the majority of tanks. This site should give you a bit of an idea how many changes were made through the tank's life if you poke around a bit. Through the western European campaign of WWII the M4 had an incredible ready rate due to ease of maintinance, as well as due to the high recovery rate damaged tanks had. Virtually any tank which was not lit on fire could be recovered and put back into service within a few days. The crew survival rate was also such that by the end of the war Sherman tanks averaged less than one crew member casualty per tank knocked out.

For the tail light photos I have access to a site called A2mac1.com through work where i can view full vehicle benchmarking teardowns.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks for your help. Love military history. No particular connection, it’s just interesting! Would watch a documentary on a general or a battle or a piece of equipment before most anything on the tube.

Bennyboy

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Next question is if you can get the radar module separate from the lamp. Maybe you can get the scrapyards to give you a discount when you remove the radar?
Those BLIS radar units are identical to what other 2015-2019 Fords with BLIS use, so they can be had for <$100 on ebay easily, doubt it will shave any more than off the price if the Junkyard knows that they're doing.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Some A-hole was kind enough to back into my passenger rear tail light and cracked the lens in 2 spots. Never noticed it until rain got in and shorted out the backup led. I could've used epoxy to seal the cracks until I could buy a taillight when it's more convenient. Have to buy 15 gallons of stain for the fence plus the 2 yr old roof started leaking on my home so I have the contractor coming this afternoon.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
Randomly noticed my right taillight is cracked. I've read that the blind spot is married to the computer so not only do I want to lower the price but know I'll have to move it.... Cheapest place to buy oem ?
Sponsored