First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
D48BAE9F-EA6C-42F0-B8BB-6920908E1C42.jpeg
4EB61CB8-3F08-476A-9B5A-827B75E74F34.jpeg
Before I even bought my first tank of gas someone broke a taillight. At first I was really bummed out but my spirits were lifted when I realized that only the red plastic overlay was broken. They were faded when I was told that isn’t a part. It’s a complete assembly and it can be mine for $1155 plus tax. Begged the dealership. Took it to The Ford complaint department and got stonewalled. Not a part nothing we can do. Guess it’s to hard to take a piece of plastic off the assembly floor and UPS it. I know it would be the same at Toyota GM Dodge etc but really...You’re thoughts? PS I love this truck! Ranger Boyd
Sponsored

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
They would never do that.
Sold as assemblies not pieces.
Insurance?

Do you think someone damaged it or backed into it? That is fairly high for most vehicles.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It is one reason I want to put some sort of protection on my taillights and headlights. At almost $1200 a pop mistakes and accidents can be expensive. Although if yours was malicious there isn't much you can do.

Wondering if dash cams will activate if they sense motion even if the vehicle is off? Thinking that maybe if you had one that did that, it might catch a video of the culprit?

Sorry to hear it happened to you. You might try filing an insurance claim if it won't jack your rates.

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
It is one reason I want to put some sort of protection on my taillights and headlights. At almost $1200 a pop mistakes and accidents can be expensive. Although if yours was malicious there isn't much you can do.

Wondering if dash cams will activate if they sense motion even if the vehicle is off? Thinking that maybe if you had one that did that, it might catch a video of the culprit?

Sorry to hear it happened to you. You might try filing an insurance claim if it won't jack your rates.
Likely it happened at CVS or church, 500 deductible A lot for a piece of plastic don’t you think?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Likely it happened at CVS or church, 500 deductible A lot for a piece of plastic don’t you think?
It isn't just a piece of plastic - it is a whole unit - that is where all the rear radar stuff is (blind spot detection, cross traffic alert, etc). I'm guessing it is a whole unit to keep water out, etc. I'm sure there is a good reason you can't just replace the plastic outer piece.

Whoever did it had to have known what they did, though. How thick is the plastic? It seems relatively thick. If so, it would take a pretty good impact to break it like that.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
There might be good news ...
A friend of ours has a Ford "C"-Max.
I changed out the taillight and was shocked at the price
She had the same Damage... The price was something like $500, but they gave her $280 for a core.
For a broken Taillight??? I may be a little wrong on the $ but the story is essentially correct.
It was just a plain taillight, not even LEDo_O
Weird ... It had an 1157 bulb in it... I thought they were LONG GONE:crazy:
You might ask about a core charge? Especially if it includes the Radar.

I wonder what the price of the standard halogen taillight would be?

Another point.... When we bought our Escape, I added Cruise Control.
It was a brand new item and the wheel was expensive.
I found one at a salvage yard on Ebay for a fraction of new from a car that was only a couple of months old.
That might be worth a search.
There is a thread which pictures a few totaled Rangers already, maybe you can find out where they are?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
It isn't just a piece of plastic - it is a whole unit - that is where all the rear radar stuff is (blind spot detection, cross traffic alert, etc). I'm guessing it is a whole unit to keep water out, etc. I'm sure there is a good reason you can't just replace the plastic outer piece.

Whoever did it had to have known what they did, though. How thick is the plastic? It seems relatively thick. If so, it would take a pretty good impact to break it like that.
It is a piece of plastic that is about 1/8 th of an inch thick with a flange. It is glued into a recessed slot that runs around the perimeter of the sealed unit. Separate part, but sold as a unit, whether it is manufactured by Ford or a sub-contractor I don’t know. Apparently plastic is classified. Don’t want any trade secrets. Wish I knew where it was made!

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that really sucks, I'd maybe try Ebay since these taillights have been around for a few years overseas (not sure if there is any difference to be honest, I'd make sure of that first). Even though there's probably a ton on there, make sure they have the BLIS radar integrated.

PS: I'm up in Trumbull, howdy neighbor!

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
There might be good news ...
A friend of ours has a Ford "C"-Max.
I changed out the taillight and was shocked at the price
She had the same Damage... The price was something like $500, but they gave her $280 for a core.
For a broken Taillight??? I may be a little wrong on the $ but the story is essentially correct.
It was just a plain taillight, not even LEDo_O
Weird ... It had an 1157 bulb in it... I thought they were LONG GONE:crazy:
You might ask about a core charge? Especially if it includes the Radar.

I wonder what the price of the standard halogen taillight would be?

Another point.... When we bought our Escape, I added Cruise Control.
It was a brand new item and the wheel was expensive.
I found one at a salvage yard on Ebay for a fraction of new from a car that was only a couple of months old.
That might be worth a search.
I may have to wait for one of you gentlemen to hit a tree! Not wishing any I’ll will on anyone but 500 deductible......

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
How in the world did the tail lamp get smashed and not the anything lower? Vandalism?

The taillamp unit is sealed from the supplier to Ford...there's no replacing one piece I'm afraid. Sorry this happened...

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Wow, that really sucks, I'd maybe try Ebay since these taillights have been around for a few years overseas (not sure if there is any difference to be honest, I'd make sure of that first). Even though there's probably a ton on there, make sure they have the BLIS radar integrated.

Thanks I’ll check with my mates down under, I know Rangers are down there!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

The ones in the rest of the world are slightly different I believe but I could be wrong. I know the Lariat ones are different than the ROTW ones for sure - they look different.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I may have to wait for one of you gentlemen to hit a tree! Not wishing any I’ll will on anyone but 500 deductible......
Already happened, a few in fact,:idea: I just can't find the thread!:confused:

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
How in the world did the tail lamp get smashed and not the anything lower? Vandalism?

The taillamp unit is sealed from the supplier to Ford...there's no replacing one piece I'm afraid. Sorry this happened...
For anyone not aware, the red plastic is a glued on overlay that I want. Ford won’t give it up or the manufacturer. 500 deductible is a lot for something sitting on the assembly line floor don’t you think! Sorry I’m getting jammed up again thinking about the fact that no one will make a call on my behalf.
Sponsored