First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Physician
Search turned up nothing... Wondering if anyone knows how to lock the key fob inside? I have a keypad outside but as soon as I grab the handle it re unlocks itself. Can it be done?
Sponsored

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Search turned up nothing... Wondering if anyone knows how to lock the key fob inside? I have a keypad outside but as soon as I grab the handle it re unlocks itself. Can it be done?
Take the battery out of the fob

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Probably only if the battery is removed. Don't put it (dead fob)in the rear cup holder in front of the console, that's how you start the truck with a dead fob so it might also trigger the can't lock me in mode, not sure I haven't tried that but I can confirm the fob minus a battery will start and drive. Works on wife's Fusion also. Have to lift out the rubber bottom of the cup holder

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Probably only if the battery is removed. Don't put it (dead fob)in the rear cup holder in front of the console, that's how you start the truck with a dead fob so it might also trigger the can't lock me in mode, not sure I haven't tried that but I can confirm the fob minus a battery will start and drive. Works on wife's Fusion also. Have to lift out the rubber bottom of the cup holder
I'm not sure where the dead fob location is on the Ranger. On my Escape and Focus I had to hold it against the steering column to start with a deaf fob. I would pull the battery and stick the fob in the center console when I wanted to lock it inside

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I'm not sure where the dead fob location is on the Ranger. On my Escape and Focus I had to hold it against the steering column to start with a deaf fob. I would pull the battery and stick the fob in the center console when I wanted to lock it inside
it’s located under the cup holder closest to armrest in console.

Kirby808

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have the key pad, but kept my spare fob in my center console (key 2)and was able to lock my doors with Key 1. I was even able to lock my doors with key 1, key 2 and dinner in the truck. I learned this the hard way.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
It's in the bottom of the cup holder. The rear one closest to the console. Have to remove the rubber tray and set the fob on it. My wife's fusion actually has a depressed outline to set it in. I did not try to start the car before removing the liner. Clearly a chip reader in bedded below that cup holder

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I don’t have the key pad, but kept my spare fob in my center console (key 2)and was able to lock my doors with Key 1. I was even able to lock my doors with key 1, key 2 and dinner in the truck. I learned this the hard way.
What trim level? Lariat has intelligent access and shouldn't let you lock the keys inside.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You can lock the FOB in the truck by using the external keypad (it will lock the doors, otherwise it's not possible to lock the doors with the FOB inside the vehicle).

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
You can lock the FOB in the truck by using the external keypad (it will lock the doors, otherwise it's not possible to lock the doors with the FOB inside the vehicle).
If you hit the lock button on door when exiting it will lock the fob in the car.

OP
OP
Freebird1106

Freebird1106

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Physician
Thanks everyone! I get my truck back from the dealer tomorrow so I'll give it a go!

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you hit the lock button on door when exiting it will lock the fob in the car.
This does not work for me. Yes, you can lock the FOB in the truck as you describe but the minute I pull on the door handle the truck unlocks.

The door will not unlock if the keypad was used to lock the truck -- the keypad will be required to unlock the truck - pulling on the door handle does not release the locks in this case.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
.......... I can confirm the fob minus a battery will start and drive. Works on wife's Fusion also. Have to lift out the rubber bottom of the cup holder
Good to know... thanks. :like:

This does not work for me. Yes, you can lock the FOB in the truck as you describe but the minute I pull on the door handle the truck unlocks.

The door will not unlock if the keypad was used to lock the truck -- the keypad will be required to unlock the truck - pulling on the door handle does not release the locks in this case.
It depends on which model truck you have, and which options. We have an XL, with the FX4, which means we also have the 101A package. I just went out and confirmed what @Trigganometry stated and he is correct. As long as the truck is not running, if you hit the lock button on door when exiting it will lock the fob in the car.

If the truck is running and you hit the lock button, the horn blows twice and the truck automatically unlocks.
Sponsored

Last edited: