ramong

First Name
ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I having hard time removing the passenger side bulb, looks like the where the original H11 bulb connector and wire harness meet is touching the housing of the headlight so i cannot completely remove the H11 bulb. The driver side i did that without a problem.
I will post a pic later today.
Sponsored

OP
OP
weasel1

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
If I recall correctly I unplugged the wire from the bulb and then I was able to remove it.

Deleted member 1634

So I'm thinking of swapping out only the fogs and high beams, but leaving the low beams as halogens (I have an XLT). My thought process with this is the concern that the low beams will be too bright as LEDs and anger other drivers (I know I hate going head on with bright LED headlights on a dark road). And since I'll have LED fogs and I also have my off-road lights, I figure I'll have enough visibility with traffic around. Swapping to LED high beams allows them to really throw the brightness when nobody else is around to be hurt by them. Any thoughts on this? Do you guys with LED low beams feel they're possibly too bright for other drivers?

OP
OP
weasel1

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Depending on what you select for LEDs, yes, it could easily be too much light for oncoming drivers. I would not go with anything higher than 10,000 lumens. That's what I have and they might be a bit much, but they are damn nice to drive with. I'm still waiting on input from my wife as far as other drivers being annoyed and flashing her. I never get to drive the Ranger and she's hardly been out in the dark. Now that winter is approaching, I suspect I'll find out soon. The fogs aim turned out to be ok, but the drivers low beam was a touch high. Haven't heard a peep from her since the adjustments, so Its probably going to be ok. I still need to put it against a wall and verify my adjustments are correct.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
So I'm thinking of swapping out only the fogs and high beams, but leaving the low beams as halogens (I have an XLT). My thought process with this is the concern that the low beams will be too bright as LEDs and anger other drivers (I know I hate going head on with bright LED headlights on a dark road). And since I'll have LED fogs and I also have my off-road lights, I figure I'll have enough visibility with traffic around. Swapping to LED high beams allows them to really throw the brightness when nobody else is around to be hurt by them. Any thoughts on this? Do you guys with LED low beams feel they're possibly too bright for other drivers?
I do get flashed sometimes on low beams.

Deleted member 1634

Depending on what you select for LEDs, yes, it could easily be too much light for oncoming drivers. I would not go with anything higher than 10,000 lumens. That's what I have and they might be a bit much, but they are damn nice to drive with. I'm still waiting on input from my wife as far as other drivers being annoyed and flashing her. I never get to drive the Ranger and she's hardly been out in the dark. Now that winter is approaching, I suspect I'll find out soon. The fogs aim turned out to be ok, but the drivers low beam was a touch high. Haven't heard a peep from her since the adjustments, so Its probably going to be ok. I still need to put it against a wall and verify my adjustments are correct.
I think if I still lived back in the very rural area where I grew up then I wouldn't hesitate to get bright low beams, because there really aren't that many other drivers. But here in the city, I see so many other people on my way to work that would be quite annoyed by super bright low beams. Especially since starting next week once daylight saving time turns over I'll be driving both to and from work in the dark for a few months, so I'll get a lot of use out of headlights.

Do you, or anyone here, know what the lumen ratings are for the stock bulbs? Fogs, lows, and highs. Just so I can see how any LED replacement bulbs compare.

OP
OP
weasel1

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I think if I still lived back in the very rural area where I grew up then I wouldn't hesitate to get bright low beams, because there really aren't that many other drivers. But here in the city, I see so many other people on my way to work that would be quite annoyed by super bright low beams. Especially since starting next week once daylight saving time turns over I'll be driving both to and from work in the dark for a few months, so I'll get a lot of use out of headlights.

Do you, or anyone here, know what the lumen ratings are for the stock bulbs? Fogs, lows, and highs. Just so I can see how any LED replacement bulbs compare.
I did a little googling and found a site that said an H11 bulb is ~1200 lumens. That said, I wouldn't put too much faith in the accuracy of the lumen rating on aftermarket LED's. In my experience, you're going to need an LED that's rated at least 3x that (Amazon bulb rating) to see the road properly. The Morimoto bulbs I have on my Colorado are rated @ 2440 lumens and are just about perfect. I'm pretty sure that the Morimoto bulbs rating is accurate and that they aren't trying to jump on the inflated numbers bandwagon that you see on Amazon.

Deleted member 1634

I bought a pair of dual-color (white/yellow) LED fogs and the Auxito high beams. We'll see how those go for now. If I hear enough good things about LED low beams from you guys, then maybe I'll move forward with those as well. High beams should arrive tomorrow and fogs early next week. I'll post updates when I get them installed.

Deleted member 1634

Got my LED high beams on Saturday and installed them on Sunday. Took all of about 20mins to change out both, and most of that time was spent taking pictures and looking at how bright they are. Hard to tell in the pictures since it was daytime out and the light messes with the camera, but the new ones are crazy bright! Tried them out quick this morning during twilight and I have a feeling I'll enjoy them very much! Should get quite a bit of use out of them now that it's dark going to work, and coming home from work.

Fog upgrades should be arriving today. We'll see when I can get around to installing them.

IMG_20191103_113745624_HDR.jpg

Driver's side LED high beam, passenger side still the halogen high beam
Both low beams still halogen

IMG_20191103_114716061_HDR.jpg

Both high beams upgraded to LED

Deleted member 1634

LED fogs came in yesterday, and I was able to find time after dinner/dishes to get out and install them. I thought it was going to be harder to reach up between the crash bar and plastic shroud to get at the fog lights, but it wasn't that bad. The only hard part was trying to blindly find the hole to reinstall the new lights.

One thing you'll notice with these dual color ones (and someone pointed out could be a problem previously) is that they beams don't exactly line up with the stock halogens. The white beam is a little low and the yellow beam is a little high, just because of where the light chips are on the stalk. But luckily (or maybe just by happenstance of the way I installed them) it is that way and not the other way around. I'd much rather have the white directed lower to keep that more intrusive color away from peoples eyes. They yellow is warmer and less hurtful on the eyes, so it shouldn't bother oncoming drivers as much. We'll see though.

Another thing that was happening when I was testing them out was they were being finicky and unpredictable. Turning on different colors (right white, left yellow), or not switching when I wanted them to. But I tried again this morning on my drive into work and they worked as advertised. So I'm thinking it had something to do with the truck being keyed on, but not turned on.

IMG_20191104_190944697.jpg

Passenger halogen, Driver LED (white mode)

IMG_20191104_190958448.jpg

Passenger halogen, Driver LED (yellow mode)

IMG_20191104_192444422.jpg

Both LEDs (white mode)

IMG_20191104_192732571.jpg

Both LEDs (yellow mode)

MattInFla

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running the Morimoto 2 stroke 2.0 h11 and / or 9005s that would care to share how they are working out? Any pain points on the install, etc?
Sponsored