Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Carbonized Gray SuperCab STX FX4
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
2021 XL STX FX4 Supercab
So, I am kind of glad I am an impatient person and picked up an exhaust system last week. I had the truck up on the lift and I noticed oil all down the undercarriage. I traced it back to the front differential input seal. It has been slinging oil everywhere. Not sure how long it been leaking but, I can recall seeing oil spots after parking it over the weekend in the past. I don't always get to park in the same spots in my complex so it is hard to say if they were mine or not. Made an appointment with the local dealer for Tuesday. It looks like a quick fix as long as the shaft isn't damaged. Hopefully it is just the seal that is weeping.
I'll report back after the service appointment.

IMG_20210918_130606084.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Something else to keep an eye on :(
This will be my first time having a warranty repair in a long time. I have only owned two new and two CPO vehicles before (stuff with factory warranties). I had a speaker replaced in my 2012 Fiesta under warranty but, that is it. Sort of new to the warranty repair participation. Hopefully this is all I have to deal with on this Ranger. I really do like it so, fingers crossed nothing major comes to sour my ownership experience.

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Is this another missing needle bearing?
Im on my phone so I'm not able to search easily to see
If you are talking about this thread then, no I don't think so. From what I am reading on that issue it was the outer axle shaft not the input. Mine is the seal for the drive shaft that comes out of the transfer case.
Although, it could very well be the same thing. I didn't mess with the shaft and check for play or anything.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
I dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They called late in the afternoon and wanted to keep it overnight. The tech had cleaned it all up and wanted to see where it is leaking from without all of the oil flying around everywhere. Hopefully is just a seal and I might get it back tomorrow.
I had to borrow a work vehicle because they had no loaners.

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Just got the call from the dealer. Pinion seal is bad. About two weeks to get a new one. They topped off the fluid and told me keep driving it. I'm going to pick it up later today.

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
10/16 update. Talked with the dealer on Thursday. No update on an ETA for the part. Ford is showing no release date for it. He said he was going to call on Monday to see if he can push the parts depot for a more solid answer. Diff is still leaking and I have put another 1200 miles on it since they inspected it. Hopefully I don't run it too low of fluid and do damage. But hey, they said keep driving it. ?‍♂

Backordered parts... Such is the life of a part's guy these days...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
10/16 update. Talked with the dealer on Thursday. No update on an ETA for the part. Ford is showing no release date for it. He said he was going to call on Monday to see if he can push the parts depot for a more solid answer. Diff is still leaking and I have put another 1200 miles on it since they inspected it. Hopefully I don't run it too low of fluid and do damage. But hey, they said keep driving it. ?‍♂

Backordered parts... Such is the life of a part's guy these days...
Hi Sean,

It took almost 3 months after my daughter's Escape was scraped down the drivers side by a junker of a vehicle from the bowels of Detroit. Then they needed a trim piece to complete the $5,000 repair...Took another six weeks to get the left rear door trim. Parts back orders are flat crazy for most Ford vehicles, not just Ranger.

No toilette paper at Costco...or paper towels...hoarding abounds and shipping supplies are stranded with no truckers to drive the loads.

Sad state of affairs, I am afraid...

best,
Phil

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Hi Sean,

It took almost 3 months after my daughter's Escape was scraped down the drivers side by a junker of a vehicle from the bowels of Detroit. Then they needed a trim piece to complete the $5,000 repair...Took another six weeks to get the left rear door trim. Parts back orders are flat crazy for most Ford vehicles, not just Ranger.

No toilette paper at Costco...or paper towels...hoarding abounds and shipping supplies are stranded with no truckers to drive the loads.

Sad state of affairs, I am afraid...

best,
Phil
I am all to familiar with the state of affairs. I'm in charge of ordering and distributing parts for a forklift company. It is getting really old explaining to techs and salesmen why stuff is not here. I have a list of backorders for workorders that is multiple pages. We are buying up every part we can when they become available because we have no indication as to when more will show up in stock. Don't get me started on electrical parts such as engine and motor controllers. ?

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
Same in HVAC, units going down, and no resupply.
Maybe this should have its own thread.
Wanna get America in up roar, tell em no AC for the foreseeable future.
Heads are about to roll brother, in many board rooms if this continues.

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Update 10/28
Servicing dealer has not been able to get me an update as to an ETA for the part.

However, I sent a message to Benny of Levittown Ford here on the board. Within ten minutes he was able to tell me that Ford has 30+ units of these seals on order for national stock and 5 backordered by dealers (hopefully mine included). They are due in early November.
Got more info from him that my dealer has in two months... Big thumbs up to Benny.
Now I wait some more for the dealer to get mine in and then I'll have to probably wait another month to get scheduled for repair.

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Update 10/28
Servicing dealer has not been able to get me an update as to an ETA for the part.

However, I sent a message to Benny of Levittown Ford here on the board. Within ten minutes he was able to tell me that Ford has 30+ units of these seals on order for national stock and 5 backordered by dealers (hopefully mine included). They are due in early November.
Got more info from him that my dealer has in two months... Big thumbs up to Benny.
Now I wait some more for the dealer to get mine in and then I'll have to probably wait another month to get scheduled for repair.

Ever get your part? Also be careful, my front diff seized 2 days ago on the interstate! Now waiting for an answer as to if/when Ford is going to get the part, but I have a loaner. A 4Runner at that, which I'm liking half tempted after they repair my truck to trade it in for a Tacoma and just call it a day.

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Ever get your part? Also be careful, my front diff seized 2 days ago on the interstate! Now waiting for an answer as to if/when Ford is going to get the part, but I have a loaner. A 4Runner at that, which I'm liking half tempted after they repair my truck to trade it in for a Tacoma and just call it a day.
Still waiting... Zero communication from the dealer. Still leaking a good amount. 3100 miles now.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Still waiting... Zero communication from the dealer. Still leaking a good amount. 3100 miles now.
my frontier leaked EVERYWHERE and that had 98,000 miles on it when I gave it up for this awesome Ranger. just occasionally top it off. I call it the automatic oil change
Sponsored