Last Drink

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Overshare moment warning. I didn't start until after Iraq. Just got a bit worse as time went on after that. Never got dumb with it.. "high functioning" for sure (?) Retired and thought I could stop on my own. Nerp, failed pretty hard on that.

I want to be around for the grandkids or even grandkids, kids.

This was the last drink tonight at my favorite pizza and beer place.

Been slowing down for a bit to not end up in a hospital when I stopped.. if that was even a possibility based on what i was doing. Now with some help, a solid support group if I need it, and some meds - I think I can kick this habit.

It was fun-ish.. but you are expensive and doing some serious damage to my liver. Also, I like to drive and can't do it if I had this stuff.

So less seriously random as hell posts or replies from me.

Hope to look back at this a year from now and laugh at myself for thinking this will be hard, I hope anyway.

received_635563228078892.jpeg
I wish you the best, Patrick. Sounds like you have a plan for success. This is also a great place for encouragement when you need it. :)

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sober since Dec 2013 ... it's hard because alcohol is everywhere, once you stop it can be a bit a culture shock. I can't be around anyone with a buzz or who is drunk, it's like talking to infants :giggle:

Early on it was minute by minute, then hour by hour etc. But it does gets easier everyday and I've filled in the space it created with fulfilling activities and hobbies.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
Patrick -- Good luck to you .. it's doable. My Father did it had a couple of friends that did it. Dad said up until the day he died that if he were to walk into a bar and have one drink he wouldn't come out sober, and he hadn't had a drink in 60 years. I used to drink every weekend when I was clubbing in DC then I had a period where I wasn't able to get out as much and realized what NOT going out did for my bank account ... haven't done much drinking at all after that LOL

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
For anyone struggling with this. Let me plant the seed of hope! Took me 10 years and so much pain before I finally surrendered. I can tell you now with certainty looking back at all of it I really don’t miss it. It’s just not an option anymore. Additionally, where ever you are right now, I can say with out a doubt that whatever your expectations are for the future you’ll blow it away by a far greater amount if you stick with it.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Awesome! Keep it up! it makes me feel worse I can't get a month
Keep trying. You only fail if you don't get back up. I fell many times until I was open about wanting to stop, got help, and started going to meetings. I am blessed with a hell of a support group. AA is just a really nice bonus.

Last edited:

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase