Lariat lighting

Torrsall

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4WD
Hi all, my 21 Lariat feels fairly tech forward except for the occasional stumble.
For obvious reasons, incandescent bulbs in newer cars bug the heck out of me. That's why I was a little surprised when I had to change out the license plate lights to led. WTH?
On the top model?
Anyway, since I've only had it a week with limited driving, are there any more old school lights to pull? I know about the visor lights thing cause they're all about the makeup according to my bride. The yellow turn bulbs on the outside mirrors look kinda old but I am too so they may actually be led. Any suggestions and bulb access instructions are always appreciated with my thanks!
BTW the missing PRNDL light makes it seem like there's something out. I keep looking down there. Probably just me since it is on the dash.
Sponsored

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Incandescent:
- Front turn signal (in headlight). This is a blinker only, no running light.
- Front side marker.
- Puddle lights in the bottom of side mirrors.
- Signal repeater in side mirrors.
- Rear license plate lights.
- Vanity mirror lights (not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze if looking to replace these).

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Something to think about regarding LED vs. incandescent bulbs: The heat emitted by incandescent bulbs can be enough to melt snow or ice off of the lens, therefore maintaining visibility in crappy winter weather. I haven’t looked closely at what is on my Lariat. I am, however, aware of the unintended consequences of converting traffic lights to LED. They don’t get hot enough to melt the snow. Many cities have gone back to incandescent, or had to fit heaters into their traffic lights, and at considerable expense.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Something to think about regarding LED vs. incandescent bulbs: The heat emitted by incandescent bulbs can be enough to melt snow or ice off of the lens, therefore maintaining visibility in crappy winter weather. I haven’t looked closely at what is on my Lariat. I am, however, aware of the unintended consequences of converting traffic lights to LED. They don’t get hot enough to melt the snow. Many cities have gone back to incandescent, or had to fit heaters into their traffic lights, and at considerable expense.
All the critical lighting (headlights, fog lights, tail lights, chmsl) are already LED.

Many people have pointed out one of the cons to replacing the license plate lights is the fact that most LEDs seem to blind the rear view camera. I had some issues with the Philips Zevo on my F150. On the Ranger, I intentionally went with an LED replacement that wouldn’t blind you.
The change from yellow/amber to the crisp white looks good.

872A60AF-5B40-43A5-AAF9-06A7B5492AE6.jpeg

C7EF83AA-D209-408B-BA14-56D33CDD133E.jpeg

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
All the critical lighting (headlights, fog lights, tail lights, chmsl) are already LED.

Many people have pointed out one of the cons to replacing the license plate lights is the fact that most LEDs seem to blind the rear view camera. I had some issues with the Philips Zevo on my F150. On the Ranger, I intentionally went with an LED replacement that wouldn’t blind you.

872A60AF-5B40-43A5-AAF9-06A7B5492AE6.jpeg

C7EF83AA-D209-408B-BA14-56D33CDD133E.jpeg
What leds did you use?

OP
OP

Torrsall

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4WD
Point taken!

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4
So does this actually help with blinding the rear view camera?

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
So does this actually help with blinding the rear view camera?
The light is now white, not really any brighter though. Does not blind the camera.

And I agree with “to each their own”. This looks better in my opinion.
Sponsored