First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
It could become an insurance liability if you don't dampen . Just imagine if a child is standing under that tailgate when it slams down ! You wouldn't want that on your conscience . $30 is cheap for the added peace of mind .
When I called my ins this morning to add the vehicle to my policy, they asked if I did any modifications to truck. Probably should’ve said dampener and saved some money.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yaegerbomb89

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
Added a Bak revolver X4s tonneau cover today. So far I really like it. Wasn’t too hard to install, just took my time with it over the holiday weekend. Prob about 3 hours total time spent over over a few days tinkering with it in between manning the smoker and holiday festivities. Spent about an hour staring at the parts/instructions and watching videos one night. The next day about an hour installing the brackets and seals. The third day I spent about an hour installing the side rails and adjusting the cover. I’ve never had one before so I didn’t really know what to expect. The instructions leave a little to the imagination when it comes to the rubber shims, but makes sense after you see it all in action.
1CA18BA8-6453-48D3-B7C6-FE319CCF9808.jpeg
C888D8CB-BD85-4104-A3A2-9FD08B53E48F.jpeg
72F85803-4AFA-41B9-8773-C3E78E15E8C2.jpeg
I’ll update how I’m liking it after some use.

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Added a Bak revolver X4s tonneau cover today. So far I really like it. Wasn’t too hard to install, just took my time with it over the holiday weekend. Prob about 3 hours total time spent over over a few days tinkering with it in between manning the smoker and holiday festivities. Spent about an hour staring at the parts/instructions and watching videos one night. The next day about an hour installing the brackets and seals. The third day I spent about an hour installing the side rails and adjusting the cover. I’ve never had one before so I didn’t really know what to expect. The instructions leave a little to the imagination when it comes to the rubber shims, but makes sense after you see it all in action.
Have you had any rain since adding the cover? Or gone through a car wash, etc.? Curious if yours is keeping the bed dry.

Also, can you tell if there are T slots on the x4s rails for adding a rack? I've read that there are for the Gladiator but when I ask Bakflip they say no and it's not compatible with any bed racks... Trying to get confirmation for the Ranger

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Have you had any rain since adding the cover? Or gone through a car wash, etc.? Curious if yours is keeping the bed dry.

Also, can you tell if there are T slots on the x4s rails for adding a rack? I've read that there are for the Gladiator but when I ask Bakflip they say no and it's not compatible with any bed racks... Trying to get confirmation for the Ranger
I have the same cover. Pretty good with rain. The issue is less about the cover and more to do with the fact that you can almost reach your hand into the tailgate gap. I get water near the tailgate.

There is no T-slot on the rails. The way the rails work with the cover means this thing fits tight. I am looking at the BillieBars and have decided I will need to trim the plastic bed caps to allow the clearance for their brackets.

OP
OP
Yaegerbomb89

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
I have the same cover. Pretty good with rain. The issue is less about the cover and more to do with the fact that you can almost reach your hand into the tailgate gap. I get water near the tailgate.

There is no T-slot on the rails. The way the rails work with the cover means this thing fits tight. I am looking at the BillieBars and have decided I will need to trim the plastic bed caps to allow the clearance for their brackets.
I agree. I ran it through the car wash yesterday and I didn’t get much of anything in the rear, but I had some near the tailgate. It comes through the gaps in the sides of the tailgate. It’s nothing crazy, it could probably be mitigated quite a bit with a tailgate seal kit. I had my daughters softball gear back there and it didn’t get wet.

@tremorman - I don’t think there is a place for adding rails for a rack, but if I can get you some specific pictures let me know.

I had to adjust the cover one last time yesterday. I noticed that one side wouldn’t lock good and required more shims to operate correctly. The shims feel a little cheesy. Other than that I’m still really liking it.

OP
OP
Yaegerbomb89

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
Joined the dark side today and picked up a tailgate dampener with my reward points from stage3motorsports. The points from the Bak tonneau cover basically paid for it, so added bonus. I went ahead and sprung for the auto up/down version though…

Attachments

SEkevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2021 Ranger Tremor Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
Joined the dark side today and picked up a tailgate dampener with my reward points from stage3motorsports. The points from the Bak tonneau cover basically paid for it, so added bonus. I went ahead and sprung for the auto up/down version though…
This is worse than a zombie ?‍♂ apocalypse! I’m never going over to the dark side!

GearHd6

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Does the rolled up part easily remove so you have full bed access? I understand the rails would stay but does the cover itself come off completely?

Reactions: Doc

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Does the rolled up part easily remove so you have full bed access? I understand the rails would stay but does the cover itself come off completely?
Yes, 4 nuts/thumbscrews easily removed. I would use a centre-punch to mark their locations in the brackets so you don’t have to fuss with the alignment each time.

OP
OP
Yaegerbomb89

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
If it was really necessary you could take it off, but adjusting it is a pain in butt. It wouldn’t be something you would want to do very often. It’s basically only held on by 4 hand tightened nuts in the back, so you could take it off really fast if needed.

OP
OP
Yaegerbomb89

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
How hard was it?
It was time consuming but not very hard. I’ve never messed with this stuff before, so I just took my sweet time and enjoyed it. Took me about 2.5hrs for the one door, but I’ll probably do the next door in half that time now. The second skin material is really nice and really easy to work with. I believe them when they say it will stick for the life of the vehicle.
Sponsored