Jeeps! And Some Jeep Drivers!

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Lol and my 1993 Pathfinder was rated better than it by Car & Driver!!
I had a second hand 1991 Pathfinder for about 10 years one of the best cars I ever owned, was a Japanese home market import and looked and drove like new. My only real complaint the outrageous price of Nissan spares. Like $600 for a (albeit glass) headlight lens back in 2006! Like sorry you misunderstood me I don't need the whole front cut..... Got a whole headlight from a wrecker for exactly 1/10 the price, and he left a bulb in it!
$450 for a water pump , I bought the exact same pump from the same OEM maker only in the OEM's box through an aftermarket parts dealer for $180.
Sponsored

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
MY brother had one of these XJ's for quite a few years, he actually didn't have too many issues with it.
Cracked exhaust manifold
Cracked rear plastic tailgate
Leaky water pump
All of which seemed to be pretty common issues. I drove it a few times, drove alright, but found it a bit too squeezy for my 6"2" frame.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I had a second hand 1991 Pathfinder for about 10 years one of the best cars I ever owned, was a Japanese home market import and looked and drove like new. My only real complaint the outrageous price of Nissan spares. Like $600 for a (albeit glass) headlight lens back in 2006! Like sorry you misunderstood me I don't need the whole front cut..... Got a whole headlight from a wrecker for exactly 1/10 the price, and he left a bulb in it!
$450 for a water pump , I bought the exact same pump from the same OEM maker only in the OEM's box through an aftermarket parts dealer for $180.
I bought a 1978 Toyota Highlander new. Several years later the smog air pump broke. I asked the Toyota parts person I wasn't sure of the correct name for the part, the parts guy said, "We call them gold". I ended up with a used one....

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I bought a 1978 Toyota Highlander new. Several years later the smog air pump broke. I asked the Toyota parts person I wasn't sure of the correct name for the part, the parts guy said, "We call them gold". I ended up with a used one....
Ahh yes..... The good old air pump......... Just to pump air into the exhaust to somehow makae the exhaust cleaner.......... Yeah not to sure who figured that one out.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh yes..... The good old air pump......... Just to pump air into the exhaust to somehow makae the exhaust cleaner.......... Yeah not to sure who figured that one out.
Hi Chris.

Yes these air pumps were a NVH nighmare. You do not want then to be same speed need 10% seperation of their pulses. I did this many times to get rid of the harmonics. Terrrible way to run NVH...

Best,
Phil

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Chris.

Yes these air pumps were a NVH nighmare. You do not want then to be same speed need 10% seperation of their pulses. I did this many times to get rid of the harmonics. Terrrible way to run NVH...

Best,
Phil
Any idea as to who came up with that silly idea of running an air pump like that? Also do you feel it is worth deleting on certain vehicles(like my 1994 F150 woth the 300?)?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea as to who came up with that silly idea of running an air pump like that? Also do you feel it is worth deleting on certain vehicles(like my 1994 F150 woth the 300?)?
Hi Chris,

remove the air pump and associated belts etc. See what you get but likely quieter engine.

Just ensure you can pass the smog check.....

Best.
Phil

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Chris,

remove the air pump and associated belts etc. See what you get but likely quieter engine.

Just ensure you can pass the smog check.....

Best.
Phil
At this time I am just outside the smog check county line. As for the belt...... Probably got to run a shorter belt as its one giant belt....

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
In theory the air pumped in combined with excess unburned hydrocarbon in the exhaust manifold under high temperatures caused by deliberately retarded valve timing. This was because most cars then ran carburetors, and usually ran slightly rich to help prevent the likelihood of combustion knock. Personally I think more than just the timing was retarded these cars drove like slugs and drank fuel like no tomorrow. The introduction of EFI allowed for much better regulation of mixture control and the air pumps tended to disappear. They usually disappeared a lot faster over here because in those days there were no emissions checks and police rarely bothered to check unless you were obviously driving a barely legal boy racer car. :wink:
Sponsored