First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I have 2021 tremor xlt l, always have start/stop off, and if I am giving light gas holding at 20 mph in 5th gear I get light rumble strip feeling. Sometimes in 4th but 5th for sure. Everything else seems to shift fine. Only 875 miles but I don’t think this has anything to do with adaptive learning. Not sure what it is and if it’s a problem. I feel it loves the highway & going fast but slow and many start stops it does not enjoy. I’ve had a 4l V6 most of my life as well as straight 6 in a Cherokee for a few years & everything was quiet & smooth. I know this is a very different engine but it’s quirky. And I don’t mind as long as it’s supposed to be like this.
Came here looking for this exact problem. 2022 STX XL and I noticed when I’m climbing the small hill on the street in 5th gear going slow I get a ruble strip vibration. Today I tried to see how long it would stay in that range and sure enough it will continue to rumble until I give it gas. Had me worried for a bit. Trucks almost brand new. Glad it’s not only me lol.
Sponsored

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I live in a hilly and windy road area which limits top speed to about 40. I notice this all the time climbing a hill. Sometimes it seems so bad that even pushing on the gas does nothing. I have started shifting into S prior to heading up a bigger hill just to avoid this. Maybe will investigate tune, but with only 1000 miles on this thing, I am hesitant to do anything that may impact warranty.
Same exact position as you with my 22 STX. Never considered a tune until now.

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
Came here looking for this exact problem. 2022 STX XL and I noticed when I’m climbing the small hill on the street in 5th gear going slow I get a ruble strip vibration. Today I tried to see how long it would stay in that range and sure enough it will continue to rumble until I give it gas. Had me worried for a bit. Trucks almost brand new. Glad it’s not only me lol.
Yes it’s all normal. Many many miles later and I hardly have it happen anymore. But it’s the 10 gears & the comp trying for best mpg.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Yes it’s all normal. Many many miles later and I hardly have it happen anymore. But it’s the 10 gears & the comp trying for best mpg.
Appreciate it. Makes me feel a bit better. Wish Ford would have changed their tune just a bit. I also bought this truck slightly used where whoever owned (older fellow) it only put 1700 miles on it in over 9 months and so I imagine that was mostly small errands around town. Hoping the adaptive learning will still continue to update. If not I may have Ford reset it for me.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, now with ~20k miles on the truck and still driving in the same places, I hardly ever notice this issue anymore. I do have a tune on the truck, and I am sure that helps, but honestly I think it is a combination of the trans learning and me learning how to drive a 10 speed.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Well this morning on a small “hill” I was cruising up it going slow (this was on site at my work so we have to go slow) and the truck damn near stalled out. It was sitting right at 1000-1000 RPM in 7th. It didn’t want to downshift to 6th gear from 7th even though I was cursing for it to do so lol. Guess I’m going to keep driving it to see if it changes. Seems like with Ford catering to the EPA, they have made for some dangerous circumstances. I’m guessing I could probably stall this out on a hill if I tried a bit harder. Never had an auto be this finicky and always be in was to high a gear. Hope it will sort itself out.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
FWIW, now with ~20k miles on the truck and still driving in the same places, I hardly ever notice this issue anymore. I do have a tune on the truck, and I am sure that helps, but honestly I think it is a combination of the trans learning and me learning how to drive a 10 speed.
Yeah seems like I’m constantly having to give it gas so it’ll downshift. That’s seems to be the biggest issue. Shifting is very smooth but it just seems to always be in way to high a gear, especially on hills. Small hills are where it’s very noticeable.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Yeah seems like I’m constantly having to give it gas so it’ll downshift. That’s seems to be the biggest issue. Shifting is very smooth but it just seems to always be in way to high a gear, especially on hills. Small hills are where it’s very noticeable.
You can reset the "fuzzy logic" shift parameters that the transmission learned from the original owner by disconnecting- reconnecting the battery cables. It will still bog down to ~13-1400 rpm before downshifting, but it's better than ~1,000 rpm.

On stretches of suburban 25-30 mph driving, I typically lock out enough gears to keep the engine turning at 1600 rpm or above.
In D, tap the - button down thru the gears to achieve the desired rpm for the speed, tap + to change up. The 10R80 is the most manual automatic I've ever owned; the ancient C6 was the best.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Tow-Haul mode. Set it, forget it.
Sponsored