Is there a way to keep cruise control on when you first start up your truck?

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
imagine hitting that button at the wrong time by accident ....whether you expect it or not, the time lost wondering why you arent slowing down when you let your foot off the gas, might be all the lost time you need to plow into the stopping traffic ahead.
Good point but minimal exposure.
My problem is the general place/position and function of the entire Cruise Controls switches.
Personally, I would like them on the right side of the steering wheel.

Next, the use of three sets of nearly identical pushbutton switches with not enough tactile touch difference makes it annoyingly slow in determining which switch you are touching to use them. I usually have to look down to make sure I am going to push the right button. Wasting two positions to control the ACC distance setting is a waste.
My bride's Hyundai Sonata has a MUCH better user friendly control set. And, it is on the right side too.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Some years ago some Ford model vehicles caught fire in people's garage's because they left the cruise control switches on. I bet that they do not want to have this happen again.
That sounds less to do with whether it turns off automatically and more to do with whether there's a catastrophic design failure.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
After reading this thread I checked my ACC. No chimes or anything when I engaged it. Seems it would be a major PITA to have respond to pop up menus when I engage it while driving Glad I don't have it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I don't understand the gripe about no tactile differentiation. There is a ridge around the whole set of buttons. Ridge on top? Top middle button. Ridge on bottom and right? Right bottom button. Very simple to me.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I don't understand the gripe about no tactile differentiation. There is a ridge around the whole set of buttons. Ridge on top? Top middle button. Ridge on bottom and right? Right bottom button. Very simple to me.
I didn't say there was none. I said it wasn't enough.

The buttons all being mashed together in a panel is a big part of what I dislike, rather than having some physical separation between them.

I don't use cruise on a daily basis, given the types of roads that I drive on. So I don't have everything memorized. I have to look at them.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
My Subaru, like the Ranger, resets. I have no issue with this setup.
Only cars I've had cruise.....

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Every time I turn the cruise on, I hear a series of 3, 3 ding chimes. A menu comes up on the screen giving me choices for normal cruise or adaptive cruise, etc. I hit OK for normal cruise. That doesn’t stop the chime from happening the next time I turn it on.
I have the ACC and I get no popup menus or chimes when I activate cruise control. I think there's a setting in the dashboard menus to turn off the notifications and chimes.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I turn the cruise on, I hear a series of 3, 3 ding chimes. A menu comes up on the screen giving me choices for normal cruise or adaptive cruise, etc. I hit OK for normal cruise. That doesn’t stop the chime from happening the next time I turn it on.
HI Gary,

Yep...I get the same chimes as I have disabled ACC...Do not like or use ACC. Bugs the wife evey time, so I tell her before setting Normal Cruise...Then She is okay with it chiming. It is Ford's way to "force" you to use ACC. I have heard "Foreskin" can disable but I do not mess with these types of mods to the various Modules and PCMs...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
2017 Honda Civic Si. Cruise control stays on (not set on any MPH or activated) until I switch it off. I can come back days later turn on the car and cruise control is ready to be single button set but not resume. Turning off the car wipes away the last set MPH from memory.

Not a safety issue for it to function this way. Don’t even try the “what if” games to say it is a safety issue.

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
I didn't say there was none. I said it wasn't enough.

The buttons all being mashed together in a panel is a big part of what I dislike, rather than having some physical separation between them.

I don't use cruise on a daily basis, given the types of roads that I drive on. So I don't have everything memorized. I have to look at them.
I agree. As far as the little ridge separating the switch sets; they are almost insignificant. You barely can feel them, and how do you tell if the ridge you first touch is between the first set or the second set?
So you then you have move over to the and start counting. Inconvenient and time wasting. Just an overall poor design and poor ergonomics.
Sponsored