Is changing to the locking diff from xlt sport plug and play?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
there's a ROW ranger on the saeb.net forums where someone swapped an entire axle assembly from a locker truck to a non-locker truck and used Forscan to turn it on.

But IDK if our harness has all the pluggy spots for the locker to hook up,

You're options could also include "buy a full rearend off a parted out truck with a locker, and wire an on/off switch.

in addition to the Eaton TracLock, and ARB air Locker that is available. (I don't have links, but they exist)
Unfortunately if your truck did not come equipped with the locker it does not have the plug for the locker at the axle. I have looked at mine and others to confirm this.
Sponsored

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
there's a ROW ranger on the saeb.net forums where someone swapped an entire axle assembly from a locker truck to a non-locker truck and used Forscan to turn it on.

But IDK if our harness has all the pluggy spots for the locker to hook up,

You're options could also include "buy a full rearend off a parted out truck with a locker, and wire an on/off switch.

in addition to the Eaton TracLock, and ARB air Locker that is available. (I don't have links, but they exist)
My S.O. has 2 of his buddies that work wrecking yards looking for a wrecked one with and Elocker and if they find one he wants to see about adapting it or hooking up a manual connection to activate it via 12v switch but there aren't many trucks around here and well they dont tend to get wrecked til harvest season and snow season so I guess we'll wait and see.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Under the truck, my RWD has the plug and wires for the E-Locker. The diff case has the casting for the plug/pass through.

Poking around ForScan, it appears that the ABS module has E-Locker control duties so I think there's a good chance that swapping in an E-Locker would be very doable.

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Rangers come with a traction control that works just like the old Posi traction. Puts the power to the tire with the most traction.

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rangers come with a traction control that works just like the old Posi traction. Puts the power to the tire with the most traction.
But tuere are limitations to it. Eve a true limited slip diff will do better than the ABS/Traction Control.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
But tuere are limitations to it. Eve a true limited slip diff will do better than the ABS/Traction Control.
Hearsay, without any evidence.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
lidealol there are plenty of individuals out there that have installed limited slip differentials including the Eaton Detroit true trac and have noticed the differential doing the work before ABS gets the chance both on and OffRoad. Like it or not it is true.

Mind you I do understand that Ford did a good job with the terrain management. It still has its limitations.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Plenty of factory e-lockers in junkyards now. Partrequest.com has plenty listed all over the country. Most of them have the brakes, shocks and other hardware still on them. Would be a direct swap and wire it in. Most I have seen are in the $1.5K range for the whole axle

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I will say I spent 2 days at silver lake sand dunes in Michigan, and I did better in sand mode with the locker off. The same on some wet grassy tracks I was on. The only time the locker was better was when pulling something slowly on slippery surfaces like grass or gravel.
Sponsored