Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
Hey everyone,

So about a month and a half ago, my windshield washer fluid low light came on. Thought it seemed odd as the truck was only 5 months old and I hadnt used my washer fluid much. But sure enough the reservoir was pretty low (thanks dealer) and I added about 3/4 of a jug of fluid to max fill line. Light went out, for a day or so. Ever since the low indicator lights comes in and out fairly regularly. May not do it on one trip, then next time I take the Ranger out it will come in and out multiple times. I haven't noticed any pattern with what/when the light triggers.

Had it at the dealer for its first oil change a couple weeks ago, and they said "lights out, good to go". But it has since been in and out multiple times.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming there is a float switch in the reservoir that could be bad?

Putting all the facts out there, the light started going off right around the same time I installed my pedal commander throttle controller. Considering my general understanding of what this module does, I don't see how it could be a contributing factor, but figured I'd mention it since the timing of the two was so coincidental.

Any input would be great. I don't mind troubleshooting a bit before the hassle of getting to the dealer.

Thanks.

Scott
Sponsored

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
As terrifying as this sounds...unplug the pedal commander for a bit and see if the light functions as it should.
Don't be afraid to accelerate this test by suctioning the fluid out multiple times in an afternoon instead of waiting months for you to naturally consume the fluid.

I once has that silly cellophane seal of the jug fall off and go in my tank.
It plugged the intake and wouldn't spray fluid, but perhaps you have it messing with the sensor.

OP
OP
SD4160

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
Thanks! Removing the pedal commander was going to be my first move in troubleshooting if noone here pointed me somewhere else first. I figured if I threw it out here on the forum, someone else may chime in and say "I had this exact same thing happen with my pedal commander!" And save me the time lol.

Seems silly (at face value to my ignorant brain that is) as it's just taking the throttle response signal and modifying it, I would assume going to the ECM (or w/e it's called on this truck). FIgured it would be a stretch that it be negatively impacting some non engine related system. But what do I know ?‍♂, I wouldn't be here if I had a better understanding of it all. Lol

As far as accelerating the testing of the washer fluid... its a good idea, and I will eventually, but I just detailed my truck yesterday ?. I'll have wait til the first rain before I give it a go?.

Thanks for the quick response. Hoping it's something simple.
Sponsored