Window Washer Fluid Low?

Alex6511

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 301A, Tech, Spot, Bed Utility and Trailer tow packages.
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey guys,

I've owned my Ranger probably 3 weeks at this point. It's been in the shop about one and a half of those weeks due to the fuel injector issue, my dealership had no idea what to do about it prior to Ford's announcement so they replaced the whole injector and wiring harness that was throwing the error, but I digress.

Now when I am stationary on a hill for more than a few seconds my window washer fluid low light comes on. The washers still work as of this moment and I have driven pretty far on relatively flat surfaces without it going off, it seems only when stationary on a hill. Is this normal? I can't see how much fluid is in it due to the design of the tank, when I look in I just see blue.

What kind of fluid should I put in it to test if it's a bad sensor?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My guess to test the sensor would be to add some until it's full, and see if it's still acting up. Your dealer either took your truck mudding and used it all up while they had it in the shop, or didn't fill it enough before you took delivery.

I have over 7000 miles on mine in Michigan, and I live on DIRT roads, and my washer fluid is still not telling me to refill yet.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us here had the Ranger delivered without any washer fluid.
Also, no light saying it was low.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Can you take a picture of the low washer fluid light? I'm just curious - I haven't seen it either, but mine did come (mostly) filled with washer fluid.

OP
OP
Alex6511

Alex6511

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'll take a picture next time it goes off, I also get an alert in the Ford pass app.

In the screenshot you can see a few days between the alert. On Sunday I probably drove a good 40 minutes to and back from my airsoft field and it didn't go off that entire time.

Screenshot_20190513-085654_FordPass.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a Lariat, XLT or XL? Some things like this weren't well documented on what trim levels had what....

OP
OP
Alex6511

Alex6511

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have an XLT

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I should have done this earlier. I looked in the manual, and it clearly shows the warning icon:
Lowfluid.jpg

It doesn't say anything about it being limited to certain trim levels or even (if equipped), so I would interpret that to mean it is on all trim levels.

OP
OP
Alex6511

Alex6511

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand of washer fluid? Google seems to have mixed thoughts on what to put in Ford vehicles.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand of washer fluid? Google seems to have mixed thoughts on what to put in Ford vehicles.
Cannot tell if serious or not. The blue stuff works fine.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I usually just buy what is cheap, unless it is winter and then I make sure it is winter mix (so it won't freeze). Sometimes in the summer when the bugs are bad, I will get one that is good for bugs, but honestly, I'm not sure there is much difference.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I usually just buy what is cheap, unless it is winter and then I make sure it is winter mix (so it won't freeze). Sometimes in the summer when the bugs are bad, I will get one that is good for bugs, but honestly, I'm not sure there is much difference.
The green stuff they add more surfactants in favor of methanol so most bug stuff freezes, but has marginally better bug dissolving ability.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what you are looking for it to clean. And up here in the north you better get fluid that's rated -25 or lower during the winter. There are bug removal types too.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Mine came on after a couple of weeks. Washer fluid is the other thing (besides tire pressure) the dealers aren't doing. I had the truck in anyway for something else and had them fill it, no trouble since then. Bottom line: your dealer probably didn't prep properly because there's no way you've gone through a whole tank already.

OP
OP
Alex6511

Alex6511

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine came on after a couple of weeks. Washer fluid is the other thing (besides tire pressure) the dealers aren't doing. I had the truck in anyway for something else and had them fill it, no trouble since then. Bottom line: your dealer probably didn't prep properly because there's no way you've gone through a whole tank already.
Yeah, my tires are overinflated as well. I've been meaning to fix it but haven't gotten around to it. I probably should.
Sponsored