Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,

First off thank you for replying back. This forum is lucky to have your knowledge at hand.

For the handling problem, I do notice it on the same stretch of highway, although it has happened in other places as well. It is concrete that is grooved for rain, as much of the highways where I am at are. It doesn't happen when I am on asphalt, at least not that I have noticed. I don't think it is the front alignment, as much of that odd movement feels like it comes from the back of the truck, and it does steer okay and doesn't pull in any direction. Do you think a rear sway bar, or any sway bar, would help to eliminate this?

For the seat, I did my own investigation, and determined that the latch bar does not reach out far enough. Instead of grinding down or eliminating the rear bumpers, I will be adding a couple of washers to the latch bar base to give it some more profile so that it can latch. My back seat already came with one of the bumpers eliminated like the TSB tells to do, so I started off with 3 and it still didn't latch. There have been a few others that have done the washers with success, and it was the first thing to come to mind when it didn't latch without breaking anything. If that doesn't work after that, then I will resort to shaving the bumpers.

Overall I am pretty happy with my truck. Some of the things I have found wrong were because I have been reading the forum, and good thing I did. It is a far cry from my 2003 Ranger, as this is a luxury vehicle compared to that. Granted, 17 years is a long time and advancements will be made. I had planned on just fixing up my Ranger, but when the rebates came up in December, they were too good to resist. It is nice to have acceleration and a turning radius again.

When I fill out they survey - I haven't done it yet - I will be ripping them on what went on in the finance office. I was happy with the sales agent, and of course a little disappointed with the dealer prep.

Scot
Hi Scot,

Agree it is not likely alignment but is likely more of a tire road related concern. Probably nothing relative to Safety, and if you are comfortable with this probably take no action As far as a rear swaybar..it will change handling and move the vehicle to a less push/more oversteer condition. It may still understeer but much less than before. I do not recommend just adding a rear bar without stiffening the front also. When I was racing and Team Engineer for NASCAR, I always subscribed to Big Bars and light springs which worked well. This includes balance between front to rear too...

As for the seat...shimming the latch bail wire out is certainly a solution...probably either way is okay.

Hope you have many enjoyable miles in your new Ranger!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored