Intermediate Right turn grind?

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
So today while going to lunch with my family I was making a right turn and out of no where I heard a grind and felt it coming from the front drivers side tire.
Any idea or advice would be great.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So today while going to lunch with my family I was making a right turn and out of no where I heard a grind and felt it coming from the front drivers side tire.
Hi Lost,

Stock wheels and tires? LIfted? There have been a few cases where the brake dust shield starts to rub on the brake rotor...easy check....otherwise need more data on your configuration. Others developed this because their CV came apart during their lifting.... Assumption of stock...Take it back to the dealer to diagnose. Is the noise repetitive or a one time? You might have had a pebble kick up into the brake for a moment.... Anyway....more data needed to do more than speculate on what is going on with your grinding noise.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Lost19Ranger

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Hi Lost,

Stock wheels and tires? LIfted? There have been a few cases where the brake dust shield starts to rub on the brake rotor...easy check....otherwise need more data on your configuration. Others developed this because their CV came apart during their lifting.... Assumption of stock...Take it back to the dealer to diagnose. Is the noise repetitive or a one time? You might have had a pebble kick up into the brake for a moment.... Anyway....more data needed to do more than speculate on what is going on with your grinding noise.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

thanks for the quick reply! I completely left that information out and on other forums I’m the guy asking for more data lol. Sorry about that.

truck is all stock and this has only happened 3 times since April. I don’t take my truck to the dealership if it isn’t repeated easily. I usually try to pin point issues as I have a mechanical background. But it was weird as it felt like it could have been abs on one side or something grinding on the wheel no lights came on though.
Again thank you Phil I appreciate the in put.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

thanks for the quick reply! I completely left that information out and on other forums I’m the guy asking for more data lol. Sorry about that.

truck is all stock and this has only happened 3 times since April. I don’t take my truck to the dealership if it isn’t repeated easily. I usually try to pin point issues as I have a mechanical background. But it was weird as it felt like it could have been abs on one side or something grinding on the wheel no lights came on though.
Hi Lost,

I am with you on avoiding the dealer unless forced to under warranty. When almost random, it is frustrating to try to diagnose. Does this sound metallic? ABS applying could certainly result in a noise. I recall in another thread about debris getting trapped in the front brake pads as they are not solid but have a channel in the middle of the pad...having never gotten close to taking the front brakes apart and not being able to be around experimental mechanics like when at Ford...I have no idea if it is true that the pads have a channel....Heck, on my Ranger I have never even had the wheels off...Just replace the POS two piece lugnuts to prevent the infamous swelling. Got enough problem with nut swelling in old age, but that is TMI....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Phil,

My truck does this also while pulling out of a certain road and making a sharp left. It is a little dip in the transition from one road to the next. I have assumed it is the abs/traction control and it does it so briefly I don't get a light either. In my case it really doesn't matter because the 2 dealers within 30 miles chalk EVERYTHING up as being normal. My steering wheel could fall off and I'd get "yeah we're seeing that in all these ________(whatever model), nothing we can do there, it's normal."

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
I have experienced this as well on a left turn, it sounds like something in the Axle\4wd system even though I'm in 2WD Hi. I would almost describe it as something "Binding" up. If we are all describing the same thing.

I've experienced this maybe 3 times, in a year plus of ownership. No suspension mods.

OP
OP
Lost19Ranger

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
I have experienced this as well on a left turn, it sounds like something in the Axle\4wd system even though I'm in 2WD Hi. I would almost describe it as something "Binding" up. If we are all describing the same thing.

I've experienced this maybe 3 times, in a year plus of ownership. No suspension mods.
Yes this is exactly what I was describing 2wd hi, it may have happened 3 times so far.

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Well if nothing else Lost, its good to know its not just something wrong with your truck, or my truck , its probably something across multiple rangers that may or may not, be a problem.

As unhelpful as all that is. lol

Ad4wg_7

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Could be the front sway link. Mine got ripped clean off the steering knuckle and rubbed real bad when making tight turns. Brought it to the dealership and they replaced it.

OP
OP
Lost19Ranger

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Could be the front sway link. Mine got ripped clean off the steering knuckle and rubbed real bad when making tight turns. Brought it to the dealership and they replaced it.
I will check underneath! Haven’t had any issues after this one. Thanks for the input

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has done this too.... Only noticed it about 3x since In 10 months. I forgot about it until I saw this thread. I will have to take a look next weekend and see If I can find whats rubbing.

Thanks for reminding me....

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I've run into this, but i've been writing it off as just the wheel rubbing against some cover when the suspension bottoms out from a particularly harsh driveway i rarely pull out of.

SVTRondogg

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Stock FX4, grinding from driver side front wheel when turning 90° right out of a driveway.

Dealer couldn't replicate, of course. Have yet to go back and drive someone myself.

joevatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
I have had this happen to me as well on a 2020 FX4, around 3 times on a new truck, less than 1,000 miles. Always turning right out of a parking lot from a stop. I noticed it has always been when there's a slight downward angle coming out of the lot. I slightly lift my foot off the gas pedal then re-apply, and the noise goes away.

SfvRanger

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger xlt 4x4
Occupation
Self employed
I have had this happen to me as well on a 2020 FX4, around 3 times on a new truck, less than 1,000 miles. Always turning right out of a parking lot from a stop. I noticed it has always been when there's a slight downward angle coming out of the lot. I slightly lift my foot off the gas pedal then re-apply, and the noise goes away.
Have you been able to figure this out? I’ve had the same issues
Sponsored