Interesting space between power ports

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Ok here’s a head scratcher for you… satellites have cooling louvres, there is no air in space so how do they work? True fact..
Might have something to do with oscillating electric dipole emitting radiation field, atoms being dipoles, and 0K+ causing the oscillation and designers maximizing the effect by increasing the surface area.

But that's just a guess.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Might have something to do with oscillating electric dipole emitting radiation field, atoms being dipoles, and 0K+ causing the oscillation and designers maximizing the effect by increasing the surface area.

But that's just a guess.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Those vent hole are there for a reason. So whatever, don't defeat them.

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Wow. I love this forum!
I would've never noticed that. Now I really dislike having two ugly 12 V DC ports. Now I have a challenge what can I put there?
Thanks. great reading all this

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
Wow that's actually a very good looking switch panel.
It is nice but the embossed name on it ruins it for me. it looks like they eliminated the vents too.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
It is nice but the embossed name on it ruins it for me. it looks like they eliminated the vents too.
What are you looking at?

I have this switch fascia in mine, there's no embossing and there is a vent underneath the switches.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
But why does heat radiate?
It's not because of air, it's a common simplification that largely works by chance.

Heat is actually transferred as infrared waves (aka energy waves) (how else do you think we get heat from the sun? We don't get it by transference through air) that have the same properties as cooler air sinking and warmer air rising. Radiation makes molecules move faster, which heats them up, molecules bumping into each other = more heat.

On earth this is done through convection (movement of heat through water or air), and conduction (through materials touching like a pan on an electric stove), but in space it's infrared waves (energy waves).

https://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/thermal/1-how-does-heat-move.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
It's not because of air, it's a common simplification that largely works by chance.

Heat is actually transferred as infrared waves (aka energy waves) (how else do you think we get heat from the sun? We don't get it by transference through air) that have the same properties as cooler air sinking and warmer air rising. Radiation makes molecules move faster, which heats them up, molecules bumping into each other = more heat.

On earth this is done through convection (movement of heat through water or air), and conduction (through materials touching like a pan on an electric stove), but in space it's infrared waves (energy waves).

https://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/thermal/1-how-does-heat-move.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation
Hmm.. that actually kind of explains that it is due to dipole oscillation of the atoms and that the oscillation movement of atoms is caused by thermal energy. And that space station thingy kind of looks like engineers are maximizing this effect.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm.. that actually kind of explains that it is due to dipole oscillation of the atoms and that the oscillation movement of atoms is caused by thermal energy. And that space station thingy kind of looks like engineers are maximizing this effect.
Pretty much. A lot of what we experience here on Earth is very specific to having an atmosphere and gravity that doesn't apply anywhere else, which complicates (while also simplifying) how certain things work, like heat transference.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Pretty much. A lot of what we experience here on Earth is very specific to having an atmosphere and gravity that doesn't apply anywhere else, which complicates (while also simplifying) how certain things work, like heat transference.
I tough that gravity applies everywhere :eek:

P.S. Just pulling your leg, look few post earlier in the thread :)

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I tough that gravity applies everywhere :eek:

P.S. Just pulling your leg, look few post earlier in the thread :)
Haha - I figured.

I mean, you're not wrong, space just has less gravitational pull than we do on the surface of this planet!

Dunneldeen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Heat rejection radiators. Still works as long as there is a lower temperature space.

I’ve had that part of the dash apart. Not exactly sure why it is designed that way. Also, there’s another switch several people have mounted near there…

ECD96975-0FCE-4A55-9984-D8A50E68B591.jpeg
C442F211-B00B-45C5-862F-89C672F9AFD1.jpeg
I mounted my brake controller just like that and plugged the 12v socket back in, behind the dashboard. I use it to power my wireless charger from @DirkM and a dashcam.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Haha - I figured.

I mean, you're not wrong, space just has less gravitational pull than we do on the surface of this planet!
Not necessarily. For example: On LEO the earths gravitational pull is pretty much on the same ball park as on earths surface, but the reference frame is moving at same rate as the pull. Gravity is there but the acceleration is zero. :)

Twice the distance, quarter the pull.

Which would pretty much mean that at about 1/2 to distance to moon the damper would prevent the tailgate from opening if a Rangers velocity vector would be zero to earths velocity vector.

Definite drawback for a damper.
Sponsored