First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
I'm still a new owner, so please excuse if you guys already know about this, but while waiting in the line at McDonalds (they are so slow) I noticed these interesting vent holes between the power ports.

Any ideas why these are here? Heat rises, so I doubt its supposed to vent heat. It occurs to me this would be a fantastic opportunity for 3D printed AUX switches that simply pop in/latch into these holes. Actually, all kinds of things could be 3D printed to take advantage of this space but I don't own the equipment so I digress.

20220919_104929.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
There a couple of aftermarket switch panels. There is the lightforce as mentioned and at least one other I can't remember right now. There are also a couple of 3D printed ones members have made.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
any chance those are part of an air return or spot for some air flow to cool off the display?

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Ok let me dispel the myth heat rises. The warmer the air the less dense the air mass is. So the denser cooler air drops due to gravitational mass being heavier displacing the warmer air giving the illusion of heat rising. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.

I’m not sure of the purpose for that mesh. Maybe for heat dissipation elsewhere or as been said return air.

Ok here’s a head scratcher for you… satellites have cooling louvres, there is no air in space so how do they work? True fact..

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Ok let me dispel the myth heat rises. The warmer the air the less dense the air mass is. So the denser cooler air drops due to gravitational mass being heavier displacing the warmer air giving the illusion of heat rising. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.

I’m not sure of the purpose for that mesh. Maybe for heat dissipation elsewhere or as been said return air.

Ok here’s a head scratcher for you… satellites have cooling louvres, there is no air in space so how do they work? True fact..
Heat rejection radiators. Still works as long as there is a lower temperature space.

I’ve had that part of the dash apart. Not exactly sure why it is designed that way. Also, there’s another switch several people have mounted near there…

ECD96975-0FCE-4A55-9984-D8A50E68B591.jpeg
C442F211-B00B-45C5-862F-89C672F9AFD1.jpeg

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

I think that may be where an interior temp sensor lives.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
All I know is if you stick your hand in and passenger with that plate off you'll burn the hair clean off your arm. There's some sort of metal in that part of the dash that gets really hot. Was running the wire for my dash cam that direction after a drive.
10/10 do not recommend.