I will keep my gas powered Ford Ranger until the wheels fall off.

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
One of my nephews has a Tesla S an one has a hybrid (an a full size GM suv) an they are all about alternative energy an EV's an if you even question the green new deal you're a hate monger an anti science. They're really smart guys in their 30's that got hooked an won't even listen to another point of view on the topic. My opinion is it's way too early to ditch carbon energy...the technology an infrastructure doesn't exist yet an won't for decades. IF you find one you like that fits your needs an you can afford it enjoy yourself. I'd own a Tesla S too, it's a nice car but not in the cards for me.
The Tesla supercharger network currently allows you to drive on any major US interstate with the option to quickly recharge generally every 150 miles on average. The technology is here, now, and is expanding.

I do agree with the two great points you made previously regarding the costs of these vehicles, and the issues apartment dwellers and street parkers may have recharging these vehicles.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
EVs have their place but to completely remove ICE engines is asking or trouble. even if range of EV were 500+ you still have issues getting it charged when it runs dry and long wait periods vs just dropping gas to get you home in a shorter amount of time. I wouldnt mind using an ev for a daily once i find one thats cheap enough and simple enough to work on
Golf carts!

A8AC6D00-8BEC-4BBD-9D60-7271A2A97263.gif

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Where do EV get their electricity from?
From the electric grid, which is powered by a combination of hydrocarbon, nuclear, and renewable generation installations, all of which are significantly more efficient than a typical IC engine.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
From the electric grid, which is powered by a combination of hydrocarbon, nuclear, and renewable generation installations, all of which are significantly more efficient than a typical IC engine.
Where do the precious metals that make up the EV battery come from?

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I like EVs. A PHEV would be great. As mentioned in other post, our truck with electric
motor & same size tank, 30 miles on electric would be awesome.
EV's, true the infrastructure is not there but not many gas stations 100 yrs ago, it was slow to build.
Creative destruction will take care of jobs, may not be pretty.
Rare earths ... There rare, how much energy to make a battery?
A company is recycling old batteries & gets back 97%? back to primary components.
I'd like to work for that company.
We still need oil, I think a byproduct is used for fertilizer.
Love the bat mobile!

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Several of the points made in this thread illustrate why a plug in hybrid is a great compromise that utilizes the strengths of both electric drive trains and ICE drive trains. There is no reasonable way to transition to an EV world in one big leap, it will require a transition over many years. During that transition we will have to figure our how to upgrade the electrical power grid and improve EV batteries to enable this EV future.

I think Ford has an incredible product plan with its emphasis on plug-in hybrids. I can't wait to get my hands on a PHEV Ranger. With 362 HP and 501 lb-ft of torque it is going to knock your socks off! The PHEV Ranger will have capabilities that we have never before experienced in a mid-size pickup:
  1. It will be an absolute towing beast for those of us that tow boats and RVs. And if you think the current Ranger is fast, just wait until you drive the PHEV Ranger.

2. You can plug it in and many of us will be able to drive in EV mode (maybe 25-30 miles?) for a daily commute without burning any gas. That will be good for the environment and our wallets.

3. If you have solar panels you can drive for free.

4. You can still drive your PHEV Ranger for long highway trips without any range anxiety associated with a pure EV truck.

5. You can bank on the PHEV Ranger having a Pro Power Onboard generator (like the F-150 PowerBoost) which can power your house when the grid fails. To me, that is a tremendous piece of mind having a PHEV Ranger with this capability.
I think this transition period is going to be an interesting and exciting time. The only big disappointment I have concerning the PHEV Ranger is that I want one right now! The wait is going to be agony for me.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
From rare earth mines, which cause a localized environmental impact rather than a global one.
I heard they're mostly from 3rd world countries where there's not much concern to their environment or health...

To clarify...I mean these countries are being exploited by the first world woke virtue nations...

Last edited:

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I heard they're mostly from 3rd world countries where there's not much concern to their environment or health...
I agree, people in third world countries should strive to improve their working conditions, but this appears to be extraneous to the current discussion ?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Sid, your points are valid but they also apply to an ICE vehicle. To build today's Ranger you need oil drilling or fracking to refine gasoline and to manufacture many of its parts, iron ore mines and coal mines are needed to manufacture the steel, lead mines are needed to manufacture the lead acid starter battery and the list goes on and on.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
I see EV stuff with trucks to be a little ways off as I donā€™t wanna tire with a full EV. Hybrid is fine. But I read a bit into this newer battery technology that VW is working on called a solid state battery that looks REALLY cool and may present some options on the next gen of vehicles around 2025 to 2030. Iā€™m betting more towards the latter but I like to be optimistic too. 450 mile range with a recharge time of 15 minutes with less weight than lithium batteries. Iā€™m waiting to see if reality is that good, but Iā€™m hopeful as we canā€™t get there with lithium alone. https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...ver-long-range-solid-state-batteries-by-2024/

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I think the offering of EV trucks will be pretty awesome in 5-6 years. The Hummer EV and Cybertruck will be interesting. In 5-6 years there should be EV trucks out from some big name brands, and quite a few startups (Cannoo, Rivian, ect). I'm planning on replacing my Ranger with an EV truck.

My ideal future is an EV truck, ICE fun car, 1-2 ice motos, and 1 ev moto.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
BEVs are still for early adopters. in 20 years, they'll cost less, have 1000 - 2000 mile range, charge in 3 mins to 70% - 5 mins to 80% and require basically no maintenance. Gasoline will also probably eqv- of 10-15 bucks a gallon, so you can see where this is going.