I replaced my Ranger XLT Sport 4x4 with an XLT FX4 today.

OP
OP
Mike in UT

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
And on Friday I get a letter saying that the financing on the truck fell through and I need to come into the dealership and renegotiate the terms.
So I got pre-approved through USAA and a credit union, and went back to the dealer.
I got burned by a scam that sounded a LOT like this when I was a young dumb private in the army.
Now, maybe this wasn't actually a rate-pump scam, and maybe they were completely on the up and up, but I wasn't going for it either way.
I handed him both sets of keys, and got on the bus.
I went across the metro, and picked up a used Chili Pepper Red XLT FX4 with tow package, bed lined, tonneau cover installed, lift gate damper installed.12K miles on it, for 32.8K all in.

IMG_20200224_170148.jpg

IMG_20200224_170207.jpg
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hmmm I've got the same sport package XLT in lightning blue. Mine came with locking rear diff, sliding rear window, heated seats upgraded sync. Basically everything but adaptive cruise and terrain management. Not impressed with terrain management nor adaptive cruise, my step dad has the fx4 and I've used his so I'm not missing much that I can't do myself. Adaptive cruise just pisses me off with that dang vehicle in the slow lane that for the life of them cant maintain a feeking constant speed. I just get pissed and usually go around anyway. Don't get me wrong FX4's are nice but not for what I will do in modifications. Way better aftermarket suspension parts out there than FX4. But at the end of the day you have to be happy with what you bought. If you plan not to modify then you made the right choice.

I've got 20+ years of offroad experience, I know that might not be a lot for some, but I've driven dozens of vehicles and gotten most of them horribly stuck (mostly for learning purposes).

The adaptive cruise control is literally easy mode when offroad. The locker is nice, but Trail Control is amazing. I've driven up steep hills on grass in snow and ice and turned it on just for giggles. The truck doesn't miss a beat straight up with barely a second to sort out which wheels can grip. I've then tried driving up the same place under the exact same conditions and it was far more dramatic with lots of wheel spin and digging trenches and ruts, mud all over the place. There's a sand hill by me that has huge holes on opposite sides of the trail, basically two wheels in the air, two in soft sand, the truck drove it's self up that hill where my former Jeep with rear LSD would get buried. Could be wheel base, IDK, but it was definitely easy mode.

I'm glad I got the FX4 just for skid plates and Terrain Management/Trail Control, and my dad is planning to trade his Lariat with locker in for a Lariat FX4 in the next two years.