I guess I'll start a build journal - Black '19 Lariat FX4

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I wasn't sure how much work I'd do to this but things have kind of, eh... snowballed ?

No photos yet, because I haven't changed anything. I'll add them as I make changes. Here's what I've currently got on the way:
  • Fox 2.0 Stage 2 kit (w/BDS UCA)
  • Fuel Shock wheels, 17x9 +20mm offset, Bronze
  • Milestar Patagonia M/T 285/70/R17 tires
  • MBRP turn-down catback exhaust
  • Baja Designs Squadron Amber LED fog lights
  • Baja Designs Squadron Sport A-pillar lights
  • 2" stubby antenna
Future additions, likely in order:
  • Trigger 2100 wireless controller
  • Rough Country 20" light bar in the front bumper
  • Hard folding tonneau cover
  • SPD downpipe
I'd like to potentially get a tent, but since I live in SF and park it in a garage.....yeaaaa. There's not enough vertical clearance. And then there's the issue of risk leaving it on the street, which does happen every once in a while if I'm out and about, etc. Same goes for a rack and awning.

Anyway, the suspension kit arrives this weekend, and the wheels/tires next week. I'm planning to do the install at my girlfriend's mom's house next weekend (shh, don't tell the police I'm breaking shelter in place), with the wheels/tires going on after that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
scoot

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Front coilovers came in today! The rear shocks arrive tomorrow.

I'm a bit frustrated though. I got them from stage 3, who said they were in stock. Apparently the UCAs are on backorder. No one told me. I only found out because I called today to verify what was in the second package coming tomorrow.

If I hadn't asked, I would have been surprised and confused (and a bit pissed) tomorrow when receiving the second shipment.

Anyway...

3E4BB520-9976-4F1D-82E5-504579E3305D.jpeg

OP
OP
scoot

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Good news, @Stage3Motorsports graciously offered a solution to the BDS control arms backorder issue that was quite amenable!

OP
OP
scoot

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Rear shocks came in along with some lights ? Also got my stubby antenna.

I'll install them Monday or Tuesday after the exhaust arrives.

6582853F-2C74-4D0C-8927-D1D3FC4672BA.jpeg

OP
OP
scoot

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I decided to go ahead and install the rear shocks on my truck this evening. Man, it was kind of a pain in the ass. I removed one without putting the truck on jack stands no problem. When I bolted the top of the Fox shock, I used the nut for the bottom which doesn't have the square washer.

Unfortunately I tightened it enough that once I realized my mistake, it was threaded into the nylon in the nut. Which meant I couldn't loosen it by hand. And the nut just spun and spun. After messing with it a bit I realized the bolt was long enough for me to push it out and get enough of a grip on the nut with a wrench.

The next and way more frustrating part was compressing the shock enough to get it mounted. At this point I decided to put it up on jack stands which made it way easier. Lifting the truck up dropped the axle enough that I only had to compress it a couple inches.

The other side went much easier now that I knew what needed to be done. After that I uninstalled the useless running boards.

It's kind of a pain to lift with this high lift jack - I had to sort of shimmy it up, raising each side a bit more each time. Does anyone know if the trailer hitch frame is safe as a jacking point?

103646956_1643734399116387_4774054836530457322_n.jpg

OP
OP
scoot

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Btw, I wanna say, the ride quality is WAY better now. There's a spot coming out of my garage and over a sidewalk/driveway transition that is super bumpy with the FX4 shocks. Now coming over it feels way more rigid, whereas before it was like riding in a bouncy castle.

OP
OP
scoot

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Still waiting on exhaust. It got delayed for some reason. But I did install my ditch lights this evening. I haven't figured out where I can run the switch through to the cabin, so I disconnected them for now.

Here's how they look on my dusty boi. I'll wash it after I install the rest of the suspension and get the new wheels/tires.

IMG_4738.jpeg

OP
OP
scoot

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Started on the MBRP install tonight. I thought I could use a deep socket with flex head ratchet to get the most forward bolt off. I was wrong. :( So I'll have to go to the store and get a flex head wrench tomorrow, then I can finish.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
Still waiting on exhaust. It got delayed for some reason. But I did install my ditch lights this evening. I haven't figured out where I can run the switch through to the cabin, so I disconnected them for now.

Here's how they look on my dusty boi. I'll wash it after I install the rest of the suspension and get the new wheels/tires.

IMG_4738.jpeg
Remind me and I will post my wiring write up for getting the ditch lights hooked up. I'll try to get it posted tomorrow.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to go ahead and install the rear shocks on my truck this evening. Man, it was kind of a pain in the ass. I removed one without putting the truck on jack stands no problem. When I bolted the top of the Fox shock, I used the nut for the bottom which doesn't have the square washer.

Unfortunately I tightened it enough that once I realized my mistake, it was threaded into the nylon in the nut. Which meant I couldn't loosen it by hand. And the nut just spun and spun. After messing with it a bit I realized the bolt was long enough for me to push it out and get enough of a grip on the nut with a wrench.

The next and way more frustrating part was compressing the shock enough to get it mounted. At this point I decided to put it up on jack stands which made it way easier. Lifting the truck up dropped the axle enough that I only had to compress it a couple inches.

The other side went much easier now that I knew what needed to be done. After that I uninstalled the useless running boards.

It's kind of a pain to lift with this high lift jack - I had to sort of shimmy it up, raising each side a bit more each time. Does anyone know if the trailer hitch frame is safe as a jacking point?

103646956_1643734399116387_4774054836530457322_n.jpg
A bunch of guys used to run a drop hitch so they could jack the truck up from the rear. The drop hitch added extra height, so the jack didn't need all the work. Jack it up and place the jack stands, should be good.

OP
OP
scoot

scoot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Remind me and I will post my wiring write up for getting the ditch lights hooked up. I'll try to get it posted tomorrow.
A bunch of guys used to run a drop hitch so they could jack the truck up from the rear. The drop hitch added extra height, so the jack didn't need all the work. Jack it up and place the jack stands, should be good.
Thanks, appreciate the help. I've decided to just hold off until I get the Trigger relay :)

For jacking, are you saying the trailer hitch can support the weight in the rear? If so I can find/make a shim.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, appreciate the help. I've decided to just hold off until I get the Trigger relay :)

For jacking, are you saying the trailer hitch can support the weight in the rear? If so I can find/make a shim.
I don't want to confirm the Ranger hitch can support the weight, but the Raptor hitch definitely did. You can absolutely use the pumpkin (diff) to jack up the truck, then place the jack stands and lower the jack. I assume you don't want the axle jacked because you'r trying to drop the axle to install shocks. But either way, use the jack stands.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)