Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
Doesn't look that bad.

The best thing I see from the picture is I can actually make out what is being reflected off the hood. Ie there isn't a ton of scratches and swirl marks. I see some scratches, but nothing that a good wash, decon and maybe light clay won't take out.

One thing I didn't mention earlier that is important to remember... Black paint can be super gorgeous when clean, but a few scratches can ruin the loom.

Maybe while I'm bored in class today I'll draw what I picture a scratch being and why they are so hideous on black paints....
16800104302003263291364930986738.jpg
Doesn’t look bad if I look her outside but in good light and photographed like that the real affect of winter is visible.
Daily ride, lot of snow and ice removal from truck and no protection was applied before winter.
My point was to find out what is waiting under the dirt. Same is waiting with car, also black.
Clay for sure, sides are screaming for it.
And next step probably polishing compound?
At least I got rid of all salt and sand under the truck. ✅
Sponsored

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I learned a lot watching some YouTube videos on the IMJOSHV channel. He did a lot of reviews on different pressure washers (he's a professional mobile detailer). Gives a lot of tips on products and attachments. None of his videos are sponsored. Posts links below his videos for his recommended products and where to buy.

I ended up getting the electric Ryobi 1800psi and ordered a foam cannon (one of the ones IMJOSHV recommended and quick connects and longer better hose). It will be used mostly for the truck, nothing heavy duty.

Haven't gotten to use it yet (still too cold).

Home Depot Ryobi 1800psi

Last edited:

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn’t look bad if I look her outside but in good light and photographed like that the real affect of winter is visible.
Daily ride, lot of snow and ice removal from truck and no protection was applied before winter.
My point was to find out what is waiting under the dirt. Same is waiting with car, also black.
Clay for sure, sides are screaming for it.
And next step probably polishing compound?
At least I got rid of all salt and sand under the truck. ✅
When it warms enough to wash, wet your truck, use a heavy foam setting on your Canon and let the soap sit on the truck for several minutes. Rinse and repeat, let it sit, don't let it dry, just do it's thing. It will use chemistry to pull some of the dirt and salt off the paint before you even take a rag to it. And once you rinse it a second time, foam it a third time and use your bucket and wash it. The foam on the paint will add extra lubrication to the wash process.

Before you get into the polishing and claying, do a very thorough wash and dry.

Identify areas that are good, bad and worst.

Also, focus on areas that are essentially from the belt line, up. Generally door handles up, hood etc.

Start in a small area and see if what you're doing makes a difference (claying). A difference could make it worse, or better.

OP
OP
Kristina

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5CDA49AD-86C0-4437-B279-C95BFB65FDC8.jpeg

I finally washed and waxed her.
Black has no mercy and I can work with her as much as I want, it still be like:

09A93CF6-4ABC-4E38-A061-B8D1A0FE4809.jpeg

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Kristina

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great @Kristina!

Black is the worst ever, lol.
Thank you! She has nice layer of dust on her already.
And she does looks good but not perfect lol.

Black is the best - if you learn to treat black, every other color is piece of cake ;)

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! She has nice layer of dust on her already.
And she does looks good but not perfect lol.

Black is the best - if you learn to treat black, every other color is piece of cake ;)
Very true.

Also, I need to wash this subi the beads are no longer symmetrical.

PXL_20230408_150413599.jpg

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Black Ranger here.

Silly way to do a quick touch up after light rain or a sprinkler... or even after a wash and water trickling from the mirrors etc.

Invisible Glass cleaner and a microfiber towel.

/end of help

OP
OP
Kristina

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 year and 4 months old. Only light washes and rinses and not very often so far. Found bunch on scratches, half of them removed, others better.

E64DE70C-3B3B-4494-8EF2-82DAE05DFCE3.jpeg

7Boomerang7

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4X4 / Lightning Blue
I was a detailer at a Ford dealership for a few years. A lot of stuff detail shops come in bulk from companies you do and don’t see in stores, but the stuff you buy on the shelf if not any worse ofva product, just a lot more expensive because it’s smaller quantities. I experiment a lot with various waxes and tire shines. Most are decent in brand names. I don’t like tire shines that leave on a lot of shine that looks like oil because when you drive, it will fling that shit all over the sides of your panels. Meguiar’s has good foams and waxes. Turtle still makes good stuff. Armor All. One thing about interior detailing is you don’t want to use slippery and shiny coatings on your dash, steering wheel or controls. The dash shine can blind you from Sun reflection and the steering wheel and controls are dangerous to have slippery. You can also apply tire shine to your black plastic parts of the wheel well and the mud flaps. Don’t use it on other trim because it can run and leave greasy oil marks on your painted parts. Magic Black is better for those areas. Spray waxes/paint detailers are great for using in-between a real hand paste wax job. Every now and then do a cleaner paste, clay bar and bug or scratch remover then a polish coat before the final wax coat. Electric handheld wax polishers do way better than just a terry cloth by hand. Microfiber is best for waxes, but can require more elbow grease because they aren’t as rough as cotton so it can leave some smear marks. Avoid spraying shit on your brakes. Spray the undercarriage and wheelwells when washing. You can buy degreasers to spray in the door jams to make cleaning those easier to clean, especially with a power washer. Much cleaner than by hand. Be careful using a vacuum on plastics especially do not run it over screens unless you want scratches.

7Boomerang7

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4X4 / Lightning Blue
Black Ranger here.

Silly way to do a quick touch up after light rain or a sprinkler... or even after a wash and water trickling from the mirrors etc.

Invisible Glass cleaner and a microfiber towel.

/end of help
Rain-X is great for keeping off water spots on glass

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
QUOTE="Wytchdctr, post: 560800, member: 12627"]
I like the invisible because it works well on lots of shit. I'm also not Greek btw.
[/QUOTE]
LoL

I use invisible because it's one of the only glass cleaning products I have used that doesn't leave streaks. AND, I love how it foams and stays on the window and doesn't run down the glass making a mess everywhere. ?
Sponsored