I guess I need to wash my truck…

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
I have been thinking about this for quite long time and a decision is made.
I think I finally have to wash my truck. One day. What I mean is I need pressure washer, foam cannon, cleaning and detailing stuff and who knows what else. I guess it’s time to get my own equipment.

Just a tiny tiny problem - I know basically nothing about pressure washers. Also there are like millions of products available when it comes to car wash and detailing. How do I know what I want or need?! Btw, I finally found graphene on sale here. By Turtle wax. Was surprise as I knew it was not available in here.
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I wouldn't concern myself with going for top dollar brands personally. Just look at cheaper units and compare average reviews.

Though I'm the type of person that if I have to replace a $5 part on a machine to save $100 on a "better" brand, I'll do it.

Sun Joe seems to be a decent brand that's not overly expensive.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Although it can help, you don't need a pressure washer.

A water hose, bucket, soap (preferably car wash specific), microfiber towels or soft sponge, and a drying towel are the basics. Two buckets are even better. 1st bucket holds the soapy water, 2nd bucket has clean rinse water for towels/sponge.

Spray on waxes are easier to use than paste waxes and some are also drying aides. Just a light spray on your clean wet truck panel then dry off to a nice shine.

More advanced stuff include clay bars/towels to get rid of surface contaminates after the 1st wash.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought this pressure washer a few years back and it's been fantastic. I use it to wash cars, wash RZR's, mower, driveways, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MXKUCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have these attachments:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HC898GM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R3LHJKD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am getting ready to wash, clay bar, mild polish, and ceramic coat my truck. Prep is the key and I use ceramic on damn near everything these days.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
It's 0 here today, I just went to touchless car wash today.
Doing by hand is too early, maybe another month. As Tim says,
no real need for a pressure washer but I do recommend the 2 bucket wash. Find something middle of road on sale.
If you really start liking washing your truck then YouTube has an
endless amount of people telling you how to do it & what to buy.
A rabbit hole.... Dave will be along soon....
Edit ... as Jason mentioned, a ceramic product, cool stuff.

OP
OP
Kristina

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
The problem is if I use water from hose there is no filter, that is definitely needed, water is very hard there. Do all pressure washers have changeable filters?
What pressure to use? On some washers it can be adjusted differently for foam cannon and rinsing.
Of course YT is full of everything. Even I can post there, but do I trust YT more than people with experience who have same truck as I do?

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
The problem is if I use water from hose there is no filter, that is definitely needed, water is very hard there. Do all pressure washers have changeable filters?
What pressure to use? On some washers it can be adjusted differently for foam cannon and rinsing.
Of course YT is full of everything. Even I can post there, but do I trust YT more than people with experience who have same truck as I do?
Hard water here also. It can leave white spots that if left too long are hard to remove. Don't let hard water sit on the surface (paint or glass) long. Wash 1 panel then dry/wax immediately then move to next panel and repeat.

A good soap will have chemicals to reduce hard water problems but not completely solve the problem. You can also use distilled water.

Pressure washers won't change hard water to softer. Any in-line filter would be for objects in the water line, think pebbles or grit etc. To change hard water you would need a water softener system which typically involves a salt tub.

Edited: My reply showed as part of quote.

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Since you’re in a northern country, you’ll need to store your pressure washer indoors in the winter or use pressure washer antifreeze to winterize it and completely drain the high pressure line and wand. Otherwise, water inside the unit will freeze and damage things beyond repair.

1,800 to 2,000 psi should be fine. It’s the foam and wash mitt that do all the real cleaning, not just the spray.

I’ve only ever seen a small particle screen on pressure washers here but nothing I would refer to as a changeable filter. Simoniz and Sun Joe are popular brands here - most come with a variety of nozzles or an adjustable tip.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I use the bucket method but it is winter here and outside water is shut off. Driveway would turn into an ice rink, although today it is 47. This time of year I cringe and go through the car wash to get the salt off.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Pressure washers make it a whole lot easier and a lot more fun. I use an electric Sun Joe washer with this foam cannon and this snow foam. I have very hard water here too but I have a water softener and also hooked up a spigot for my washer. They do make in line filters if you want to go that route. Once you have all the accessories it's much faster than washing by hand and you're touching the surface less so you'll have less chance of getting scratches.

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a 2-stage filter/softener setup for years that I've used between the hose and the pressure washer. I am going to be installing a water softener in the house here soon, but I will probably still use the 2-stage setup I have as well.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you don't want to invest in a power washer and everything else right now they do have these here. It acts like a power washer and will attach right to your garden hose. They're inexpensive and will give you an idea of what it's like using a washer. Plus you can still add an inline water filter to these. That way you'll know if you want to jump down that rabbit hole later on.

1678562287812.png

1678562318835.png

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
If you don't want to invest in a power washer and everything else right now they do have these here. It acts like a power washer and will attach right to your garden hose. They're inexpensive and will give you an idea of what it's like using a washer. Plus you can still add an inline water filter to these. That way you'll know if you want to jump down that rabbit hole later on.

1678562287812.png

1678562318835.png
and it's perfect for ALL colors :crazy:
Sponsored