I feel bad..

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
We've had this rain for a while and the 50-60 mm of rain has caused some flooding. Yesterday I drove a road which is prone to flooding and to my surprise it was flooded and blocked with road blocks on both end of the roads. No biggy, I turned around and drove to my destination by other road.

Today I drove someone to some place, to which I use that particular road, but instead went around the other road. On the return trip I asked if he'd like to see the flooding and the answer was along "hell yes". So I drove the usual road back and sure enough there was the flood. I was prepared to turn around at the road block and divert to another road after that. But to my luck someone with a maintenance van had parked over there and was kind enough to open the road block for us!

So I opened the window and yelled "Thanks!" as he opened the roadblock. Then I went and waded the flooding, 100-200 meter or so.. Saw the opening on the other end roadblock and drove by the curb and passed it. Whoho! I got my first real wading with the Ranger..

Then...

after a few miles I saw a tow truck.. heading for the flooded area.. and I realize.. Shit.. the guy was stuck in the mud, didn't say anything, opened up the gate and I didn't even ask if he needs a pull..

I'm such a bad person and a moron..
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
"Parked over there" and "stuck in the mud" are not the same thing to the casual eye. He obviously already had the tow truck on the way, so it was useless to involve you at that point.

You're fine. Carry on.

OP
OP
KNI

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
"Parked over there" and "stuck in the mud" are not the same thing to the casual eye. He obviously already had the tow truck on the way, so it was useless to involve you at that point.

You're fine. Carry on.
Thanks.. but I was in hurry and just passed by the "common courtesy" to ask. It's not the "if he needed" but the "I did not verify". First time in a long time I didn't do my part and a show of bad character from my part.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
We've had this rain for a while and the 50-60 mm of rain has caused some flooding. Yesterday I drove a road which is prone to flooding and to my surprise it was flooded and blocked with road blocks on both end of the roads. No biggy, I turned around and drove to my destination by other road.

Today I drove someone to some place, to which I use that particular road, but instead went around the other road. On the return trip I asked if he'd like to see the flooding and the answer was along "hell yes". So I drove the usual road back and sure enough there was the flood. I was prepared to turn around at the road block and divert to another road after that. But to my luck someone with a maintenance van had parked over there and was kind enough to open the road block for us!

So I opened the window and yelled "Thanks!" as he opened the roadblock. Then I went and waded the flooding, 100-200 meter or so.. Saw the opening on the other end roadblock and drove by the curb and passed it. Whoho! I got my first real wading with the Ranger..

Then...

after a few miles I saw a tow truck.. heading for the flooded area.. and I realize.. Shit.. the guy was stuck in the mud, didn't say anything, opened up the gate and I didn't even ask if he needs a pull..

Good on you for even considering that you might have helped. You’ll get it next time.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Considering the situation, maintenance van and all the other details, you are fine. Not like you passed a sedan with a family inside or were off road and something like this happened.

I asked two people on a dirt trail if they were ok (two vehicles stopped in the middle of the trail). Their reply was "yes, just planning our next move".....how about YOU PULL OVER, there was plenty of space to the side of the trail. They were there a good 10mins before I passed them, I could see them from where I was. Thought maybe a flat or overheating but nope, just not courteous to move over. Not to mention a large opening about 100ft in front of them.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.. but I was in hurry and just passed by the "common courtesy" to ask. It's not the "if he needed" but the "I did not verify". First time in a long time I didn't do my part and a show of bad character from my part.
Boy, I thought Canadians were overly caring of othere’s - you Finns are taking it to another level. Maybe it’s our long winters. Chill. You’ll get another chance. ?

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Boy, I thought Canadians were overly caring of othere’s - you Finns are taking it to another level. Maybe it’s our long winters. Chill. You’ll get another chance. ?
That's how Americans used to be...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Then...

Hi KNI,

You have 20/20 hindsight.... If the fellow needed help, he would have asked, correct? No reason to feel bad.

There was a comment here that Americans used to be this way...So let me tell you a back story about being helpful and ended up being mugged...Lost my Rolex and got really banged up. I pulled into a rest stop in New Mexico. I had a tire leak on the left inside dual rear tire of the RV... It needed topping off some air before we continued, so I got out the air hose, hooked to the air brake compressor and was filling the tire.....This "truck driver" asked me to help him tighten his load straps as they kept slipping, so stopped filling the tire and went over to this flatbed truck... Next thing I know is there were six or eight guy that pounced on me. Grabbed my Rolex and were pissed to find I did not have a wallet on me...Kicked the shit out of me on the ground and left with my watch in a couple pick up trucks....Gypsies... I was black and blue for weeks around my rib cage. Insurance covered the theft after I filed a police report.

If I pull into a rest area today...someone ask me for help... I will only call 911 for them..no longer will I help folks stranded on the road. Sad but this is what America has become....

best,
Phil Schilke

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
That’s great that you think that way. That shows “good” character. :)

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
OP, Thor is going to be really mad at you.

Last edited:

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi KNI,

You have 20/20 hindsight.... If the fellow needed help, he would have asked, correct? No reason to feel bad.

There was a comment here that Americans used to be this way...So let me tell you a back story about being helpful and ended up being mugged...
<snip>

If I pull into a rest area today...someone ask me for help... I will only call 911 for them..no longer will I help folks stranded on the road. Sad but this is what America has become....

best,
Phil Schilke
And this is a great example of why they aren't that way any more ...

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Thats why, when I go out I just bring a strap with me. I see a parked vehicle, I latch on to it and yank it down the road, if the owner is yelling STOP, I just tell them to shut up, Im trying to rescue them. Makes me feel better that I atleast helped. :sunglasses: ................................................. ?

If you saw the tow truck for sure he already called it. Good of him not bother you and good of you to consider the situation. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited: