How to repair a deep scratch on a Ranger - only for the brave and skilled with tools.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW - The only tools you will be using is sandpaper with a block;)

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
One thing they don't say is to check whether it's gone through the clear...if it hasn't fewer steps are obviously needed.

Also, they're using a solid paint color...much easier to blend than metallic. Another factor is paint fade over time, especially for red, making factory touch-up paint looking different than what's on the car. Often requires color adjustment.

Another method for touch-up on scratches through the clear coat is to apply a combination of touchup paint and clearcoat, then cover with clear only (by hand or with an airbrush) and sand flat & polish.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Just curious - what's your alternative in fixing a deep scratch on a Ranger?
Let it be or take it to a body shop. I’m not chancing messing it up. There are things I can do and things I’ll try, that’s not one of them.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Seriously, more power to y’all that are comfortable doing this...I’m not amongst you. :question:

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would do a complete paint simulation on a separate piece of sheet metal. If the paint simulation does not match my Ranger, to my expectations, then I will not do it.;) The metal "metallic" flakes, for my base color, should be in the base color aerosol can;)

Last edited:

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously, more power to y’all that are comfortable doing this...I’m not amongst you. :question:
I had a huge chip and long scratch that I thought touch up paint would fix. Ended up going overboard because of the tacky consistency of the touch-up clear. Once I messed it up I took it to a body shop, but they wanted ~3500 to redo the roof and hood panels entirely (where the scratches and botched paint were, respectively). Decided to use some heavy lacquer thinner and try to fix my own mistake. In the end, you can barely notice there was ever any damage, and it cost me ~$35 in parts through the whole experience, but i'm wiser for "next time"

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I had a huge chip and long scratch that I thought touch up paint would fix. Ended up going overboard because of the tacky consistency of the touch-up clear. Once I messed it up I took it to a body shop, but they wanted ~3500 to redo the roof and hood panels entirely (where the scratches and botched paint were, respectively). Decided to use some heavy lacquer thinner and try to fix my own mistake. In the end, you can barely notice there was ever any damage, and it cost me ~$35 in parts through the whole experience, but i'm wiser for "next time"
A very long time ago, I bought a brand new motorcycle. I drove it over to a girls house to try and impress her (i was young) - her younger brother threw a penny or nickel or something at me and it hit my gas tank right in the middle of the tank. Put a big chip in it. I was told I could touch it up with touch up paint. It looked horrible at first and then I used some fine grit (1000+) sandpaper to smooth it down. I about freaked out when I saw all this haze in the paint of my new tank. I was assured it would all "buff out". Long story short, it is amazing what buffing compounds will do to paint. You have to be careful not to sand thru the clearcoat, but you can make a touched up scratch look pretty good - my tank looked ALMOST new - if you looked closely you could see the outline of the chip, but it was really pretty good.

With that said, I really need to get one of those touchup pens. I have a few chips that I could touch up. I did get my first door ding the other day too.

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
The thought of getting that first door ding made me cringe... Oof

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After reviewing, the same repair video several times, you just have to wonder why the vendor took such of a large area to repair for such a small scratch;)

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Auto Detailer
It looks like a very effective video for them who are in trouble with deep scratches. Thank God, I haven't face this type of unexpected situation yet. I found light scratches several times but I was not worried about them. You must know it is very easy to remove light scratches with scratch remover. That's why I always keep a scratch remover with me. Last time, I bought Carfidant scratch and swirl remover. It also works to restore the gloss of the paint. If you face light scratches, you can try it.
Sponsored