sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles did you have when you tuned your Ranger?
I had about 2400 miles on mine when I tuned. The need to tune was driven by the lift/bigger tires and I was trying to restore stock performance. I think the tune exceeded that.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I had about 2400 miles on mine when I tuned. The need to tune was driven by the lift/bigger tires and I was trying to restore stock performance. I think the tune exceeded that.
You got the Unleashed Tune correct? Did you have Torrie do the same tune as Doc with the D position cleaned up and the tune on the S position? I just had my level kit and tires done and this will be my next purchase.

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase
You got the Unleashed Tune correct? Did you have Torrie do the same tune as Doc with the D position cleaned up and the tune on the S position? I just had my level kit and tires done and this will be my next purchase.
Yes, it sounds like I have the same tune as Doc. Torrie will not be able to change your tire size through the tune, it'll have to be done through Forscan. It took us (well, me) three days to figure that out last week and it was a tedious process. The D tune stays in 8th gear for a long time and I've only been able to get it to 10th once on a pretty long stretch of highway. I'm going to talk with Torrie about these issues today.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Yes, it sounds like I have the same tune as Doc. Torrie will not be able to change your tire size through the tune, it'll have to be done through Forscan. It took us (well, me) three days to figure that out last week and it was a tedious process. The D tune stays in 8th gear for a long time and I've only been able to get it to 10th once on a pretty long stretch of highway. I'm going to talk with Torrie about these issues today.
Yes, he elevated the D side to 10th gear @ about 60 mph, sort of an overdrive.
Regards

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ok thanks. I'm not that concerned with the speedo read out as I'm only about 2-3 mph difference. I know some who have done the tune have said they noticed a little better mpg's and I was hoping for that too (on the D side) since with the lift & larger tires it's down some. Not bad but a few more mpg's wouldn't hurt...lol :)

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to disagree that this 4 cyl is "working hard". In my experience it seems to effortlessly accelerate in all situations. I haven't had a situation yet where I've felt my truck was working hard. Even towing a 2000lb UHaul trailer up and over mountain passes - I couldn't even tell the thing was back there. I think this engine has a lot more potential until it hits its limits and I think some of these tunes show that. I think if you wanted to REALLY extreme, you could squeeze out even more HP and Torque at the expense of engine longevity/reliability.
by working hard I meant from the normally aspirated aspect. The turbos help alot. Yes the engine has alot of power and torque just wondering what the long term effects would be by pushing it more. I plan on keeping this truck a long time. My F150 ecoboost ran like a striped ape but it was a bigger motor, I only traded due the MPG and the current trade in value on a very low mileage pickup in my area was very high.

Not that I'm afraid to push any vehicle a bit, I've been an advanced driving (EVO) instructor for over 20 years, stuff is just too expensive these days not to try and take care of it.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I waited until 3k. I was also dealing with needing the PCM flashed. I wanted to ensure there were no other issues with the truck.

I have the 5 star on my truck and love it. Great power, great service, and improved fuel economy.
How much improvement on fuel economy?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
by working hard I meant from the normally aspirated aspect. The turbos help alot. Yes the engine has alot of power and torque just wondering what the long term effects would be by pushing it more. I plan on keeping this truck a long time. My F150 ecoboost ran like a striped ape but it was a bigger motor, I only traded due the MPG and the current trade in value on a very low mileage pickup in my area was very high.

Not that I'm afraid to push any vehicle a bit, I've been an advanced driving (EVO) instructor for over 20 years, stuff is just too expensive these days not to try and take care of it.
That makes more sense. My armchair quarterbacking still thinks that you could push this engine a bit harder and it would be absolutely fine. I continue to be amazed by the EcoBoost engines. History has proven them to be reliable over the long term, and I think Ford is pretty conservative on how it rates these engines in stock form.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
That makes more sense. My armchair quarterbacking still thinks that you could push this engine a bit harder and it would be absolutely fine. I continue to be amazed by the EcoBoost engines. History has proven them to be reliable over the long term, and I think Ford is pretty conservative on how it rates these engines in stock form.
I Completely agree, with the extended warranty I bought I wouldn't want to tune it and end up causing myself a big bill for an engine or tranny issue. I would however entertain the idea after the 3 yr 36k warranty if it could boost my MPG to a noticeable change. I watched the instant average MPG for the 1st few tanks and at times tailored my driving to see how well it would do in town and the best I got was 19.5 consistently. So I changed the dash to view the tpms psi and just drove and ignored the average and calculated it on 2 tanks of fuel and each time it was 18.4 to 18.6 MPG. Better than my F150 3.5 eb at 14.5 in town. That's the. Only reason I got rid of the F150, I've been on light duty since January, had 2 surgeries including a total knee replacement so I had to drive my F150, that 35 gal tank and. Low MPG was killing me $300 a month. Wasn't bad filling it up a few times a year since I have a take home ride but with the combo of used trade in value, buying the Ranger cheap, rebates and customer cash private offers and a really low rate, I gained about 20% MPG, lowered my payment and have a new truck with a great warranty. Haven't towed yet but know the MPG will drop but 98% of the time I'm not towing. Eventually getting a camper to pull.

Baitis

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2004 Grand Cherokee (V8), 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom
Occupation
Retired - System Safety Engineering
I had my 2020 tuned before I took delivery in July. Went with the optional factory M-9603-REB tune so as not to mess with the warranty. The dealer didn't know it existed but they do now.

nevrenufhp

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger SXT
Occupation
Lineman
I was a little over 300 miles with mine. Not sure on any mpg gains due to not having many miles. The dash tells me an average of 19.8mpg(very mixed driving). I do wonder what the upper hp/tq limits of these engines are.....mainly curious to see where they will grenade.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
I had my 2020 tuned before I took delivery in July. Went with the optional factory M-9603-REB tune so as not to mess with the warranty. The dealer didn't know it existed but they do now.
I just got my FP tune via mail yesterday but contacted a local Ford dealer last week to ask what their cost would be to install. They (at least the guy I spoke to) hadn't a clue as to this tune.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I waited until after my second oil change. That has always been my rule of thumb when it comes to tuning or modifying a new vehicle. Did the same with my 2013 SHO.