How many miles before you tuned?

Tally155

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT FX4 Crew Cab
I waited until 3k. I was also dealing with needing the PCM flashed. I wanted to ensure there were no other issues with the truck.

I have the 5 star on my truck and love it. Great power, great service, and improved fuel economy.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I tuned my Focus at 26K, I waited until the 3/36 was almost done so that in case the engine grenaded on it's own accord, I wouldn't have any trouble with Ford.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
Will wait 3/36 then will feel like a new truck all over again

Shadowranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger and 2013 Volkswagen passat
Occupation
Owner and operator Xplicit wraps
How likely is Ford to decline a warranty issue if tuned?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
With a 4 cyl turbo already being worked hard, just curious but why tune and run a risk of damaging the engine or tranny? I'm not against it, just wondering? If I would be able to significantly increase MPG without losing power I might be convinced.

OP
OP

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
A friend of mine isnā€™t looking to squeeze everything out of the engine, but use some of the other benefits the tuner offers. Engine start/stop disable, tire size adjustments, transmission adjustability, etc..

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
With a 4 cyl turbo already being worked hard, just curious but why tune and run a risk of damaging the engine or tranny? I'm not against it, just wondering? If I would be able to significantly increase MPG without losing power I might be convinced.
I would have to disagree that this 4 cyl is "working hard". In my experience it seems to effortlessly accelerate in all situations. I haven't had a situation yet where I've felt my truck was working hard. Even towing a 2000lb UHaul trailer up and over mountain passes - I couldn't even tell the thing was back there. I think this engine has a lot more potential until it hits its limits and I think some of these tunes show that. I think if you wanted to REALLY extreme, you could squeeze out even more HP and Torque at the expense of engine longevity/reliability.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15377492/ford-10-speed-automatic-transmission/
an interesting read... I donā€™t think youā€™ll hurt this transmission even with significant engine mods
Hi Ted,

Wow! Small world...the Transmission Manager Kevin Norris was a young engineer from Transmission Engineering that supported my Off Road Racing Engineering Support team. He was a serious offroader as well. Very cool that he led the 10R80 design and development... Thanks for sharing the C&D article!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored