Hesitation: transmission or something else?

OP
OP
ubetdavid

ubetdavid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Health care field
So far switching the tranny to Sport mode has done the trick! I'll just keep it there! Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the suggestion bud! Drives/accelerates much better, no hesitation ... who knew?
We all knew lol...but welcome to the club...it's the only way to drive in stop n go traffic...

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Thanks for the suggestion bud! Drives/accelerates much better, no hesitation ... who knew?

You can also try Tow mode , its a little less agressive than sport but more than drive , it acts crazy on downhills so i dont use it , but may be a sweet spot for you down there on flat ground...

OP
OP
ubetdavid

ubetdavid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Health care field
You can also try Tow mode , its a little less agressive than sport but more than drive , it acts crazy on downhills so i dont use it , but may be a sweet spot for you down there on flat ground...
I shall try that as well! Thanks much NotBudule!

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Mine has an issue with one turn in my town from a light. It pulls power almost every time there, even though I'm not spinning, but the way the road goes up and down and back up while turning the system things there is loss of traction and pulls power until I exit the turn and the wheel is straight. No issue if I fully disable traction control, and still no spinning, but the data over that uneven road though just wheel speed and accelerometer data input to the PCM confuses it.
Mine does this too on certain corners. There's a roundabout here that's a particularly bad offender. Hard on the throttle to get in to the roundabout, off the throttle going around, then when I get on it to exit, nothing for 2-3 seconds until it decides to allow power and it takes off. Also get it sometimes accelerating from almost a stop, like when you're rolling forward for a left turn at an intersection then decide to punch it. It sucks when you put your foot down to go left through a gap in traffic and the truck just sits there for a few seconds.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Almost sounds like a dry slip yoke or joint. I know my Dad's F-150 had that sensation when it was dry.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rangers, new to the post but have found points very helpful.
Wanted to get an opinion from 'community' on my 2019 Lariat 4x4 (37k miles).

Every time (from a dead stop) the truck 'engine' accelerates, however there is a 1/2 or 1/4 second lag before the tranny engages. Tranny works fine; no problems.

I've always been brought up that when vehicles do this there is a problem (looseness) with one of the three (?) universal joints along the drive shaft. Bad U joint, bearings, etc.

But, this is the time I've purchased a truck with 4x4 and don't know if this lag is normal for a 4x4?

If so, problem solved and I just have to get used to it. I love the truck but this lag/hesitation worries me.

Any suggestions? BTW, air filter has already been changed.

Thanks 'Rangers,' appreciate your time!
Mine did it when new (also a 2019) about 30k now. The dealer flashed the transmission so.it would relearn my driving habits. Worked fine for a few years but it started back up in the last few days. Wondering if there are any transmission fluid additives that might help?

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Worry? Never.

It does sound like the transmission on your truck is slipping, though, which is not normal on the 4x4 or any Ranger for that matter. I'd take it in ASAP but call the selling dealer to find out if they want you to take it to them or a Ford dealership.

Slipping transmissions on this forum generally start with a trans valve body replacement and end with an overhaul or transmission replacement - but I could only find 2 threads with conclusions on them. This one is the most comprehensive:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/transmission-slipping-and-rough-shifts.23393
I just went through the transmission nightmare, though his symptoms don't sound like the rest of ours as we had rough shifts and I even had gears simply not work. It may be the earliest stages of it but he also may just be experiencing turbo lag or the ASS system and misidentifying it. No disrespect to OP I don't know him but it could be nothing.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I just went through the transmission nightmare, though his symptoms don't sound like the rest of ours as we had rough shifts and I even had gears simply not work. It may be the earliest stages of it but he also may just be experiencing turbo lag or the ASS system and misidentifying it. No disrespect to OP I don't know him but it could be nothing.
Even in S mode, dropping the hammer from stand still, there is an initial fraction of a second "soft" launch then it starts to pull hard...I suspect this is boost lag...

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Even in S mode, dropping the hammer from stand still, there is an initial fraction of a second "soft" launch then it starts to pull hard...I suspect this is boost lag...
For sure, Even though twin scroll turbos largely eliminate boost/turbo lag they still do need to rev up a bit. I think the turbo really kicks in around 2 and change thousand RPM so you will definitely feel some lag if you send it. Also I think the tcs does some stuff to prevent wheelspin as well. All that aside factory throttles definitely have some input lag, hence a ton of aftermarket programming kits that sharpen up the response.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Not an electric motor. No instant response. Turbo lag is a thing.
Not sure what is worse... the carb bog of old or confused computers?

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Not an electric motor. No instant response. Turbo lag is a thing.
Not sure what is worse... the carb bog of old or confused computers?
Hit it exactly on the head, even with a twin scroll turbo there is still an appreciable amount of lag. Also even worse the systems are programmed to by a tad sluggish (which there are tuning tools to fix)

MaxE731

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Maintenance Technician
I have to drive in a 25 MPH zone for a couple of miles when I leave work. My truck hesitated and lugged a lot, running as high as 7th gear at 25-30 MPH. I started using "Tow Mode" (per a suggestion from group members) until I get to a higher speed zone. That made all the difference. The towing algorithm makes for much smoother shifting, but obviously fuel economy takes a hit. But for a couple of miles it's worth it. My only other issue is it seems to shift hard into and out of 8th gear under lower torque situations.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I have to drive in a 25 MPH zone for a couple of miles when I leave work. My truck hesitated and lugged a lot, running as high as 7th gear at 25-30 MPH. I started using "Tow Mode" (per a suggestion from group members) until I get to a higher speed zone. That made all the difference. The towing algorithm makes for much smoother shifting, but obviously fuel economy takes a hit. But for a couple of miles it's worth it. My only other issue is it seems to shift hard into and out of 8th gear under lower torque situations.
I would have them take a look at the valve body, hard shifts like that are the first symptom of it going bad.
Sponsored