First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh, f@ck!n' chipmunks!

They're eating my fancy battery blanket (which I was thrilled to see that I actually had on a '22).

The little sh!ts also nearly ate through the ground wire of my battery tender. I can see their little teeth marks on the insulation. BAH!

I cranked the air gun up to 110 psi and blew out all the friggin' nut shells, and blasted under the engine cover. They probably retreated to the air box thing, I need to check that out ... =(

IMG_20230507_164039786.jpg

IMG_20230507_164113424.jpg
Hello! A few random things I found via this forum and trial and error.

1. Those pests do not like peppermint. So I mixed some peppermint essential oils and warm water and sprayed it around the areas I noticed they liked to mess with. (Moth balls did not work and just made the truck smell)
2. There is a area under the windshield that they build nests that was mentioned previously in this thread. They could be making nests in there and shoving stuff into the cabin air filter. I found some gutter mesh and JB Weld/self tappers to cover the areas they could get into.
Just some tips I’ve sound so far!
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Ugh, f@ck!n' chipmunks!

They're eating my fancy battery blanket (which I was thrilled to see that I actually had on a '22).

The little sh!ts also nearly ate through the ground wire of my battery tender. I can see their little teeth marks on the insulation. BAH!

I cranked the air gun up to 110 psi and blew out all the friggin' nut shells, and blasted under the engine cover. They probably retreated to the air box thing, I need to check that out ... =(

That stinks, hopefully there is no more damage. I found mothballs can help with some little critters but they stink the truck up like an old persons home. A marshmallow will usually take care of a chipmunk. A small have a heart with peanut butter will catch many critters. Good luck, hope you didn't pick them up at the dump with your chick magnet.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Ugh, f@ck!n' chipmunks!

How dare you go off topic talking chipmunks in a squirrel thread. Where's the ban hammer? :wink:
Make a chipper dipper to eliminate those rascals. Hopefully you haven't taken everything to the dump. Grab a 5 gallon bucket, fill it half way with water, put a scrap piece of wood from the ground to the edge of the bucket, sprinkle sunflower seeds in the bucket.
Soon, no more chipmunks.
:like:

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
How dare you go off topic talking chipmunks in a squirrel thread. Where's the ban hammer? :wink:
Make a chipper dipper to eliminate those rascals. Hopefully you haven't taken everything to the dump. Grab a 5 gallon bucket, fill it half way with water, put a scrap piece of wood from the ground to the edge of the bucket, sprinkle sunflower seeds in the bucket.
Soon, no more chipmunks.
:like:
I tell you what. we are chipmunk heaven here, followed closely by the squirrels. The cat catches some, Cheech catches some, but our giant oak tree allows for an incredibly dense and ginormous population of both. =(

I assume it's chippies because squirrels seem too big for the top of the battery, but maybe not.

Here I was ignorantly "happy" to only have to deal with those chippy bastards, but you're probably right, I probably have just as much of a squirrel issue. Bah!

@KJRR placed hardware cloth on those huge hood openings, and I guess I should too. Looks like a good solution.

I see some say WD40 helps and I did order some peppermint oil that I'll spray in the wheel wells.

Kate often sees chipmunks sitting on Soupie's tires eating. Maybe some contact cement on the tires followed by a short drive!

1683579428864.png

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
I tell you what. we are chipmunk heaven here, followed closely by the squirrels. The cat catches some, Cheech catches some, but our giant oak tree allows for an incredibly dense and ginormous population of both. =(

I assume it's chippies because squirrels seem too big for the top of the battery, but maybe not.

Here I was ignorantly "happy" to only have to deal with those chippy bastards, but you're probably right, I probably have just as much of a squirrel issue. Bah!

@KJRR placed hardware cloth on those huge hood openings, and I guess I should too. Looks like a good solution.

I see some say WD40 helps and I did order some peppermint oil that I'll spray in the wheel wells.

Kate often sees chipmunks sitting on Soupie's tires eating. Maybe some contact cement on the tires followed by a short drive!

1683579428864.png
When you've had enough of the rascals in the tree?....................
1.gif

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I exercise random fire alarm drills to deter squatters...love this remote panic button...

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator

1683579428864.png
Try glue traps surrounding Soupie. The big ones :rolleyes:. I know they work for snakes.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Well, the peaches are starting to fatten up, so it's that time of year again for me. Last year, I started with probably 300 peaches on my big tree, and ended up harvesting around 30. I didn't kill any last year, tho I plinked a few with a BB gun.

This year, it's on. I want my peaches.
yep. completely cleaned out my pears last year. 3 trees worth. I spent the winter putting piles of bait*cough*food and taking them out 1 by 1 with the pellet gun. you eat my food, I eat you

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has any tips for a recent issue.

I just moved to a new place (condo with shared parking area) which has lots of pine trees. This fall I noticed the red squirrels had started putting pinecones, leaves and pine needles in the engine bay of the Ranger (XLT without Engine Cover). I have to take a shop-vac to the top of the engine every 2 weeks.

I just had a terrible time taking all the leaves out of the cabin air filter as well.

I put mothball bags in the engine bay, but does anyone have suggestions besides adopting a cat? Any idea if I need to add mesh somewhere to keep them from entering the cabin air area?
Chili pepper or pepper
Sponsored